Platinum NCL looking for hints & tips for 1st Carnival cruise

bostongal965

My DH & I are both platinum on NCL - ships include the Sky, Sun, Dawn, Getaway and Epic, so we've done a variety of sizes and amenities as well as insides, ocean views, and balconies - no suites.  We also have one RCCL cruise (on the Enchantment of the Seas in an inside). We just booked out first Carnival cruise on the Elation. We were looking for a short getaway closer to home, and Carnival out of Jacksonville really fit the bill. We have some friends who are regular Carnival cruisers and they've always had a great time. I know the Elation is an older, smaller, ship, but we really liked both the NCL Sun and the RCCL EOTS so we're not worried about that.

I've read on the boards that the lines are more alike than different (browsing through some of the posts where dailies are posted, I can see some very familiar activities), but I know there are some differences. I would love to hear any tips or hints from recent Elation cruisers and/or folks who have sailed both lines. Some things I'm curious about include embarkment, disembarkment (we always do self walk off), lunch when you get on the ship, set dining times (we wanted to try something different so we picked late dining - we've never had set dining before), and suggestions for "must try" activities, food, or drinks. We're going to Half Moon Cay, which I've heard good things about - we've been to both Coco Cay (liked) and Great Stirrup Cay (didn't care for). 

Looking forward to everyone's input!

I  have been on the Elation several times.  It is one of  my favorite ships.  Lunch will be the buffet on Lido deck.  I don't know if the  Elation has the Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana, but those are also on Lido deck and free.  Since this is your first time on Carnival I would suggest you get the  earliest check in time possible.  You will board after Weddings, Platinum, Diamonds and Faster To the Fun guests.  I don't personally like late seating for dinner but that is just me.  We get the Cheers drink package.  That is also a personal thing.  It depends how much you would use it.  The only difference I noticed is that Carnival seems to have more free activities during the day than NCL.  I love Deal or no Deal on NCL, but i just watch.  It's way too expensive for what it is.  I like Carnival trivia better because they do themes.  They had 80's music, Beatles trivia, 70's TV shows, etc.  As far as disembarking, they do offer self disembarking if you can manage  all your luggage.  

Have a great cruise.

Candi

Thanks, candigirl41! Exactly the type of info I was looking for.  From what I've read (someone - DarthGrady, maybe - did a really great review of the Elation recently) it does have Guy's & Blue Iguana - looking forward to trying those! We like to get on the ship as early as possible to make the most of our sail-away day - do you pick a check in time with Carnival when you finalize all your info online? As far as late dining goes, we tend to eat late anyway, even with NCL Freestyle/RCCL My Time dining.  I love trivia - and I like themed trivia, too, so that sounds great.

Thanks for your response!

10 hours ago, bostongal965 said:

do you pick a check in time with Carnival when you finalize all your info online? 

Yes, you will need to select a check in time.  Check in times are available beginning 90 days prior to sailing so may not be available at the time of your booking depending upon the sailing date.  Welcome to Carnival and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Florida Paesano
eta