Where to stay in Edinburgh

matamanoa

These hotels are chains found extensively across the UK and beyond. They would certainly fit the bill as clean, comfortable and central. I know the city very well and I chose these particular ones because they are in the city centre with the main tourist sites and lots of eateries and shops in easy walking distance.  Hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for. Just remember central in Edinburgh means £££ but these hotels are tourist rather than luxury

Premier Inn -  Royal Mile or Princes Street or York Place 

Travelodge - Waterloo Place or Queen Street

Holiday Inn Express - Picardy Place City Centre

Motel One -  Edinburgh Royal or Edinburgh Princes  

Hotel Ibis Style

Thank you so much Tartanexile81.  I've read so many posts by you and have found them to be most informative and helpful, so I was very excited to see you replying to my question.  I will check out these hotels and hopefully one will fit the bill.

Barb

Always happy to help matamanoa.

Most of these chains only accept bookings 11 months in advance, so just work out when that will be and go onto the booking sites.

Just a further tip. I often book Premier Inn West Quay when I'm cruising from Southampton, and always book the flexible price to be guaranteed a room. I keep an eye on prices though and usually saver prices come along and they're significantly cheaper. However you have to pay up front for them and can't make any changes so they don't suit everybody. If I get a saver price (usually half price)  I can just cancel the flexible one without any penalty.

We already have our room booked at the Premier Inn West Quay.  Have stayed there before and it is a good choice for location, cleanliness and price.

BTW - my sister and brother-in-law have stayed at the Old Waverley Hotel in Edinburgh and while we did check out their website, their fall prices are not listed yet, along with some of the other hotels we looked into.  I guess we'll keep checking back to see when they all open up their fall bookings.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Barb

I loved staying at the Motel One hotel on Princes Street (it's a Hotel not a Motel).  It's very convenient to all the transportation options (airport bus, tram, Waverly Bridge and train station).  I really liked having the Balmoral right across the street as that clock tower became our landmark for easily finding our way back to our hotel.  Plus, the views across to Old Town were amazing!  From our room we had the view of the Balmoral to our left and the view of Old Town to the right! 

View of Balmoral from room.

20180502_055643-01.jpeg

View of Old Town from room.

20180502_055710-01.jpeg

On 11/26/2018 at 11:26 PM, lamchops said:

We used our Marriott points and stayed at the Courtyard just a short walk from calton hill ...

This is where we were when we popped up to Edinburgh a few weeks back. One great advantage for us was that it's only a few minutes' walk from the tram terminus, so transport from and to the airport was dead simplicity. We'd picked it because it was pretty much next door to the Omni Centre, but we also thought that it was a pretty good starting point for sightseeing.