room questions ?

bearman55

6 minutes ago, bearman55 said:

I see on here that some people were offered a cove balcony upgrade. I was wondering what is a cove balcony? what's the difference between a regular one ?

If you look at external ship images, you will see balconies along the side of the ship are often fully exposed. But as the move towards the nose, or to a lower deck, they might have a 'frame' of the hull reducing the visual line of site.  The footprint is the same, but you have some view obstruction. 

I had one of these last cruise. At first, it was much wider than I thought it would be, but it was actually a bonus.  It blocked some of the ship's lighting making star gazing possible, and it was more weather protected.  My experience of a fully exposed balcony meant wet chair seats and this trip, even when raining, I could sit outside.

BTW, a simple google of 'cove balcony' brings a number of images so you can see what it looks like and where it might be located.

3 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Not sure which cruise line you are talking about. You may want to post this in the section for the appropriate line

Thanks Paul; I will check on the roll call also.

A "cove" balcony used to be called a "hull" balcony, because they're inside the hull of the ship.

On some old cruise ships which had few or no balcony cabins but had decent-size ocean-view cabins, when balconies became popular they cut a window-size hole in the hull & partitioned off the front of the cabin with the usual balcony doors to provide balcony space in what was cabin space.

Consequently those balconies are  comparatively sheltered - a plus with a few itineraries like trans-Atlantic. But the view of course has a more-restricted radius, and most of them have solid metal fronts up to waist-high so no view when you're seated and the cabins tend to be darker.

A matter of opinion, and there may be other factors involved, but I rate a "cove" balcony as a down-grade from a regular balcony - though my experience is with conversions rather than purpose-built

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, bearman55 said:

mef-57; Thanks for the incite. I have been on 7 cruises, but don't know everything yet ! lol 

Me neither 🙂.  The term 'cove' seems to be a Carnival term.  Each cruise line seem to have their own term for it. Some call it 'sheltered' which is an apt label for it.

I should mention my NCL sheltered balcony had a plexi railing front, so I could sit and look out.  Carnival seems to have some of both plexi and metal.   Best to review your specific ship and Cabin.

Edited by mef_57

Carnival has the Cove Balconies on some of the newer ships.

They are on the lowest passenger deck , under the lifeboats , close enough to the water that they have steel doors that are closed during heavy seas.

They are unique in that way , and often the least expensive Balcony category.

More info can be found on the Carnival Forum.

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

A "cove" balcony used to be called a "hull" balcony, because they're inside the hull of the ship.

On some old cruise ships which had few or no balcony cabins but had decent-size ocean-view cabins, when balconies became popular they cut a window-size hole in the hull & partitioned off the front of the cabin with the usual balcony doors to provide balcony space in what was cabin space.

Consequently those balconies are  comparatively sheltered - a plus with a few itineraries like trans-Atlantic. But the view of course has a more-restricted radius, and most of them have solid metal fronts up to waist-high so no view when you're seated and the cabins tend to be darker.

A matter of opinion, and there may be other factors involved, but I rate a "cove" balcony as a down-grade from a regular balcony - though my experience is with conversions rather than purpose-built

JB :classic_smile:

MCC ; thanks for the history lesson. I really enjoy learning !  With everything these days , there is a PC conversion of things to make them sound better. I appreciate all the info !