Cozumel

MunsterMean

We found nothing open in Cozumel - even Margaritaville was closed. I was so angry about that!!!

But we did Mr. Sanchos resort and was 100% pleased with that as our choice. In fact it's the whole reason I want to go back to Cozumel!

5 minutes ago, ricew001 said:

We found nothing open in Cozumel - even Margaritaville was closed. I was so angry about that!!!

But we did Mr. Sanchos resort and was 100% pleased with that as our choice. In fact it's the whole reason I want to go back to Cozumel!

Were you there on a Sunday? Noticed many places are closed on Sundays in Cozumel.

9 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

I would never use a debit card on any of the Islands. A credit card is protected, a debit card is not.

Rookie mistake! I'll go ahead and get my credit card cleared for the trip. But, at Nachi-Cocum they do have the ability to run my credit card correct? I'm assuming so but I don't want to get there and find out otherwise!

19 minutes ago, MunsterMean said:

Rookie mistake! I'll go ahead and get my credit card cleared for the trip. But, at Nachi-Cocum they do have the ability to run my credit card correct? I'm assuming so but I don't want to get there and find out otherwise!

Yes.  Cash or credit card 😊

25 minutes ago, MunsterMean said:

Were you there on a Sunday? Noticed many places are closed on Sundays in Cozumel.

Nope. It was a Tuesday. Apparently they close up fairly early when the cruise ship is there until 10 pm. We had planned to stay in Margaritaville after eating dinner there but they closed early. Said it was slow.......

Be aware there are three piers in Cozumel, particularly important that you know which pier you are at for your return taxi trip.

This can also affect what is around if you want to stay around the port. For example if you are on NCL out of New Orleans quite likely you will dock in town with access to lots of shops and local restaurants. Walk on the ocean side of the street or go in a block or two from main drag to avoid the barage of vendors.

Also be sure to carry a watch (not cell phone) set to ship time not local time so that you are aware of time you need to be back on board. (Cozumel is on EST year round).

Edited by c-leg5

Chank offers a nice beach, small pool, sea-lion shows and opportunities to see the dolphins, nature trails, etc.  Perfect for a 3-year old.

The other popular option for families with younger children is Playa Mia, with a kiddie water park perfect for toddlers, plus a nice beach, water toys, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:07 PM, AUPilot14 said:

We never do the cruise line excursions. We venture on our own and it has usually (always) been a good decision.

In Cozumel, I highly recommend Nochi Cocom. It's our favorite thing to do in Cozumel and get away from the crowds. Definitely pre-reserve. Taxi's are abundant and affordable. All inclusive booze and food, and limited to less than 200 people daily. 

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

Damn i just check, nothing available for our cruise day. Shoot this looks super fun!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, c-leg5 said:

Be aware there are three piers in Cozumel, particularly important that you know which pier you are at for your return taxi trip.

This can also affect what is around if you want to stay around the port. For example if you are on NCL out of New Orleans quite likely you will dock in town with access to lots of shops and local restaurants. Walk on the ocean side of the street or go in a block or two from main drag to avoid the barage of vendors.

Also be sure to carry a watch (not cell phone) set to ship time not local time so that you are aware of time you need to be back on board. (Cozumel is on EST year round).

Good to know on the time differences. Thanks!

11 hours ago, FrizzbeeCruiser said:

Damn i just check, nothing available for our cruise day. Shoot this looks super fun!

Howdy neighbor!

We are also fans of Nachi - just up the coast from there is Mr. Sanchos, another popular all-inclusive beach club.  AI (food/drinks) for about $50 each, more lively and more crowded than Nachi.  My daughters love it there - especially the water toys.  Check it out!

• Like 1

We were just there and walked out from the ship through the gauntlet of stores and got to the taxi stand. We rented a cab for 4 hours for a hundred bucks. The guy took us all around the touristy side and then to the far side of the island.

Stopped at a tequila tasting. They don't actually make it there. Gave us a margarita upon entering and a tour of how it is made and then sampling and of course trying to sell us some. Pretty pricey though so we passed on purchasing any..

The far side of the island is quite different than the touristy side but beautiful in it's own way. The driver stopped a couple of places for pictures and showed us an alligator.

My husband and I are cruising with Carnival...

We are thinking of taking a taxi to Paradise beach...hanging out for a while and then taking a taxi to downtown in the afternoon for exploration.  The husband is a big fan of authentic street tacos (al pastor and carnitas)...I did a little research and it seems like Los Otates is highly recommended.  Will it be difficult to get a taxi back to the Carnival pier? 

8 hours ago, wantingpj said:

Will it be difficult to get a taxi back to the Carnival pier? 

Easy! :classic_happy:  Cabs will be lined up waiting to take cruisers back to their ships.  Check the fare to downtown on the fare board before you head to Paradise Beach, but from downtown back to your pier should be $10 or less for up to 4 in the cab.

12 hours ago, wantingpj said:

My husband and I are cruising with Carnival...

We are thinking of taking a taxi to Paradise beach...hanging out for a while and then taking a taxi to downtown in the afternoon for exploration.  The husband is a big fan of authentic street tacos (al pastor and carnitas)...I did a little research and it seems like Los Otates is highly recommended.  Will it be difficult to get a taxi back to the Carnival pier? 

You will easily pick up a taxi on Melgar (main road by the ocean) - you may/may not get one back on avenida 15 where, i think, Otates is? - or the restaurant may call one for you.

Edited by c-leg5