Grandeur OV Forward

jamscckmc

Has anyone stayed on deck two forward in an OV on the Grandeur? Not sure if they are right over the engine room and what kind of noise there is up front. I'm used to the vibration off the stern. Looking at the deck plan it looks like the staterooms right at the curve at the front look a little bigger. I know that's not always accurate.

How far forward? We were in a "porthole" cabin last year. When the ship hit some rough seas we woke up in the night to loud random noises that kept us from sleeping soundly. It sounded as if equipment was rolling or bouncing around nearby. We called the front desk to ask if anything could be done and were offered earplugs.

The next time seas got rough, the noise had vanished, so it may have been a random event or someone followed up on our phone call. 

We stayed in a forward inside cabin three months later and it was quiet. I like being at the front of the ship and we'll be there again next time.

From what I recall, the engine noises and vibrations are about the same as you hear elsewhere on board.

Expect to feel some motion in rough seas if you are far forward and hear muffled "thuds" when the ship moves though the waves. Most of the time, it's the same as any other cabin. 

I had read (on one of the cabin advice sites) that the forward rooms were bigger, but ours have not been. If it's a porthole cabin, you'll find a sizable shelf under the "window". It's big enough to sit on , store items or stow your suitcases. That's probably where the extra space is.

3 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

How can you tell which ones are porthole cabins? Does the picture come up with a porthole rather than a window?

I check websites that offer information on cabins, and search cruise critic and Google for a cabin number. I found this info about deck 2

- Staterooms 2008 to 2014,2508 to 2514,3000 to 3014,3500 to 3514 have two portholes instead of window 

We had no problem with a porthole. It's harder to look through but the payoff is extra storage space. 

9 hours ago, jackinav said:

How far forward? We were in a "porthole" cabin last year. When the ship hit some rough seas we woke up in the night to loud random noises that kept us from sleeping soundly. It sounded as if equipment was rolling or bouncing around nearby. We called the front desk to ask if anything could be done and were offered earplugs.

The next time seas got rough, the noise had vanished, so it may have been a random event or someone followed up on our phone call. 

We stayed in a forward inside cabin three months later and it was quiet. I like being at the front of the ship and we'll be there again next time.

From what I recall, the engine noises and vibrations are about the same as you hear elsewhere on board.

Expect to feel some motion in rough seas if you are far forward and hear muffled "thuds" when the ship moves though the waves. Most of the time, it's the same as any other cabin. 

I had read (on one of the cabin advice sites) that the forward rooms were bigger, but ours have not been. If it's a porthole cabin, you'll find a sizable shelf under the "window". It's big enough to sit on , store items or stow your suitcases. That's probably where the extra space is.

First took my kids cruising 20yrs ago my 2yr Daughter loved sitting in the window while shed way at little boats passing by...

• Like 1