Wayback Machine Question: Vista Class Chapel

POA1

Does anyone remember the little chapel on the Vista class ships in the early 2000s? I think it was way up on the sports deck. We may have a photo of it that didn't make it into the Zuiderdam album we just pulled out of storage - or perhaps the Oosterdam. It was a small room, IIRC.

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Does anyone remember the little chapel on the Vista class ships in the early 2000s? I think it was way up on the sports deck. We may have a photo of it that didn't make it into the Zuiderdam album we just pulled out of storage - or perhaps the Oosterdam. It was a small room, IIRC.

I remember the first of the Vista's, Zuiderdam, coming out in 2002 with a a computer-aided golf simulator (complete with golf pro and large projection screen) on Deck 10, but a small chapel? My memory fails me which appears to be a common occurrence 

Image result for memory jokes

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

I remember the first of the Vista's, Zuiderdam, coming out in 2002 with a a computer-aided golf simulator (complete with golf pro and large projection screen) on Deck 10, but a small chapel? My memory fails me which appears to be a common occurrence 

Image result for memory jokes

I could be misrembering... Wouldn't be the first time. I'll have to check with DW and my sister-in-law. I kind of remember finding it, but maybe I'm thinking of a different ship.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I was on Zuiderdam during her first year and I think I remember a chapel. I don't remember where or have any pictures to back that up.

Thanks. Back then everything was film, so you were paying for the film and the developing. You didn't take photos of stuff like that. If digital cameras had been around, there'd be pictures galore.

I'm glad you think you remember it. That way, even if I'm losing my mind, I have company. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

SeaDream Yacht Club ms SeaDream has one of these (below). When Seabourn Sun became Prinsendam in 2002, HAL sent her to the Detyens International shipyard in Charleston, SC for a 35-day dry-dock where her original Royal Viking Line golf putting course was replaced by a combination volleyball/basketball court and where she gained a golf simulation center on Dolphin Deck

Image result for Zuiderdam golf simulator

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Remember this (below), Brian? Zuidy's maiden entry into PE. Were you guys already living there?

No. However, it was on our 2003 cruise that we decided we wanted "one of those condos on the ocean where you could watch the ships." We didn't buy him until 2007.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@Copper10-8 & @richwmn-Michelle remembers it too. So even if I'm wrong, as long as my wife remembers the same thing, I'm right. 

Does Michelle remember where the little chapel was located on Zuidy? Wondering if it took the place of the golf simulator but that would put it up high on Deck 10 - pretty sure that used to be inside what is now the Loft

Zuiderdam_Deck10.png.image.4540.896.low.png

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Does Michelle remember where the little chapel was located on Zuidy? Wondering if it took the place of the golf simulator but that would put it up high on Deck 10 - pretty sure that used to be inside what is now the Loft

Zuiderdam_Deck10.png.image.4540.896.low.png

She thinks it was near the kids club. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

She thinks it was near the kids club. 

Well, that's it then! :classic_smile: Zuidy's Loft for teens was created during her December 2005 dry-dock. So, sometime between when HAL took possession of her in November 2002 and that December 2005 Freeport dry-dock, more than likely in 2003, that golf simulator on the starboard-side of Deck 10 was removed and the space turned into a small chapel.

Oosterdam came out in July 2003 followed by Westerdam in April 2004 without Lofts so chances are, they either had the golf simulator or the chapel, or both as in Zuiderdam. Noordam, the last of the Vista's, came out with all the Signature of Excellence #1 improvements, incl. the Loft, in February 2006

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Well, that's it then! :classic_smile: Zuidy's Loft for teens was created during her December 2005 dry-dock. So, sometime between when HAL took possession of her in November 2002 and that December 2005 Freeport dry-dock, more than likely in 2003, that golf simulator on the starboard-side of Deck 10 was removed and the space turned into a small chapel.

Oosterdam came out in July 2003 followed by Westerdam in April 2004 without Lofts so chances are, they either had the golf simulator or the chapel, or both as in Zuiderdam. Noordam, the last of the Vista's, came out with all the Signature of Excellence #1 improvements, incl. the Loft, in February 2006

Interesting. We 'disvovered' the chapel when we were wandering around the ship with friends of ours. It was quite small, much smaller than the ones of which you posted photos. 

The Zuiderdam was built to appeal to a younger demographic and was supposed to sail the Caribbean year round. Once they decided to use the Zuiderdam on regular HAL itineraries, they probably realized that the average Holland America guest was a tad outside the young, marrying demo. They did not use the chapel for regular services. Those were in the Queen's Lounge. 

• Like 1