Rolling Stone Rock Room debut on Koningsdam

Dogstar

Just off the Koningsdam on Sunday 1/13.

I liked the concept of the Rolling Stone Room but thought the band was only OK. The play list was partially to blame as neither vocalist had the range to cover some of the high and low notes. The sets were repetitive. The lead guitarist Leilani was great but the remainder of the band seemed weak to me. The songs were straight renditions of the original artists so seemed like a jukebox.

The BB King band was superior. Great, tight, musicianship  across the board. Solid vocals, especially from the female singer. Toward the end of the cruise, I realized that the BB King Bass Player was actually a musician I had heard before a few years ago when he was part of the band backing jazz keyboardist Brian Auger. 

Lincoln Center Stage was good but the performances were at awkward times.

Not a fan of the dueling pianos....

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2018 at 3:30 PM, Smithwick said:

I just returned from 11 days on Koningsdam. I grew up with classic rock and roll.  The band in the Rolling Stone venue was not very good.  They played well, but unfortunately they could not sing.  It was painful to hear such great songs sound so bad.  The keyboard player sang and it sounded like he was reading the words and had never heard the songs before.  The female guitar player played very well, but she sang off key and flat.  The lead guitar player played OK, but he really could not sing.  This may sound harsh, but it is my honest assessment of the band.  Hope they get a better band before my next cruise.  The bass player and the drummer were amazing (they did not sing).  Also, a guy who appeared to be the band's manager joined them one night and he was great.  Only saw him the one time and he was fantastic on guitar.

I think we heard different bands. We just got back from 10 days on the Koningsdam and my husband (a musician) and I thought the band was great. Their vocal harmonies were spot on. For the whole 10 days, the Rock Room was packed with people standing all around. The crowd loved them. Maybe you caught them shortly after they started on the ship, but we cught their final week and the passengers who were staying on for the next week were really upset to see them go.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:03 PM, jabcruiser said:

Seattle might think they have them, but if they do they certainly were not mentioned anywhere on board.  We were on the Dec 10 sailing and I looked every day and no mention at all.  Maybe they will start them again after new year but they no cooking demos on our cruise. Missed them on this cruise.

Jane

On the Feb 24 sailing we had at least 2 days with the cooking demonstrations on the world stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the New Statendam 31 March.  Rolling Stones band was great with both some new groups and mostly old classics (CCR, Eagles).  Get a seat 10-15 minutes ahead or you will be standing (or dancing).  I agree, could turn down the volume 10%.   Billboard piano is just across and also excellent.  The nights both are playing, they run back and forth without interruption.  

By the way, BB Kings is just down the hall and as loud or louder than Rolling Stone Rock Room.