Rolling Stone Rock Room debut on Koningsdam

Dogstar

1 hour ago, Travrat said:

..........None of the crew seemed happy- especially MDR waiters! 

On the week after drycock, I found my waiters to be exceptional at the first seating on Deck 3.  As I posted on my live thread, the Assistant Dining Manager was a ghost and it surely contributed to the performance of his staff.

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

On the week after drycock, I found my waiters to be exceptional at the first seating on Deck 3.  As I posted on my live thread, the Assistant Dining Manager was a ghost and it surely contributed to the performance of his staff.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying the waiters were exceptional because the Assistant Dining Manager was not there? Or because he might have been managing them from the back of the room?

10 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying the waiters were exceptional because the Assistant Dining Manager was not there? Or because he might have been managing them from the back of the room?

My waiters were great and ensured that I was finished in just over one hour each evening.  Perhaps, because I was a solo at a table for two.  I would conclude that my waiters didn't need the oversight of the Assistant Dining Room Manager.  From the reporting of others, other waiters could have benefited by the Assistant Dinng Room Manager's attention and intervention to improve service.

• Thanks 1

I did not have fixed seating. We only had dinner in the MDR 2 times. The first Gala night and second day at sea. The waiter asked how I wanted my lamb chops and I said rare- he said "mooing"? I said yes! They arrived a grayish - brown and instead of agreeing they were not as ordered he said they were rare when they put them on the plate! They did go back on my insistence and produce a perfectly rare duo of chops with excellent white bean side. On the sea day we had to ask for bread and butter. My friend wanted a main for an appetizer and then a different dish for her main. The waiter flat out told her she could not do it. The line was too long! If they were not so understaffed this would not be a problem. It also was not that full in the MDR as it was after 8:00 when we sat down. I told him to figure out how to do it. Well he did bring it to her as an appetizer but we all suffered as he brought everyone's main out and let them sit until we had our appetizers. This resulted in being served room temperature food! We had lunch in the MDR one day. We sat for more than 10 minutes before anyone came over. We had to ask for bread. My husband's pasta was cold and clumpy. He had to flag a waiter down to change his dish. They never came by to ask if it was OK after being served. Gone are the days when you are asked if you would like pepper on your dish- even in Pinnacle Grille! 

2 minutes ago, Travrat said:

I did not have fixed seating. We only had dinner in the MDR 2 times. The first Gala night and second day at sea. The waiter asked how I wanted my lamb chops and I said rare- he said "mooing"? I said yes! They arrived a grayish - brown and instead of agreeing they were not as ordered he said they were rare when they put them on the plate! They did go back on my insistence and produce a perfectly rare duo of chops with excellent white bean side. On the sea day we had to ask for bread and butter. My friend wanted a main for an appetizer and then a different dish for her main. The waiter flat out told her she could not do it. The line was too long! If they were not so understaffed this would not be a problem. It also was not that full in the MDR as it was after 8:00 when we sat down. I told him to figure out how to do it. Well he did bring it to her as an appetizer but we all suffered as he brought everyone's main out and let them sit until we had our appetizers. This resulted in being served room temperature food! We had lunch in the MDR one day. We sat for more than 10 minutes before anyone came over. We had to ask for bread. My husband's pasta was cold and clumpy. He had to flag a waiter down to change his dish. They never came by to ask if it was OK after being served. Gone are the days when you are asked if you would like pepper on your dish- even in Pinnacle Grille! 

I usually avoid eating lunches in the MDR and avoid large tables for dinner for your stated reasons.

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My waiters were great and ensured that I was finished in just over one hour each evening.  Perhaps, because I was a solo at a table for two.  I would conclude that my waiters didn't need the oversight of the Assistant Dining Room Manager.  From the reporting of others, other waiters could have benefited by the Assistant Dinng Room Manager's attention and intervention to improve service.

I don't like to eat in an hour. I like to dine and enjoy each course. These waiters want to get you out of there as soon as possible and throw the next course at you as soon as you put your fork down. The sommeliers pour way too much wine at once and have 2 people finishing their bottle before the main course is served. I realize there are people who like to finish a 4 course meal in an hour but I am not one of them. I never sit at a large table- it is either me and hubby or table for 4 since our friends were on the cruise with us. I prefer to be served and never enjoy buffets. 

Edited by Travrat

3 hours ago, Pokeymon said:

There was no Test kitchen or even demonstrations on the Koningsdam after the change.

We did the NS transatlantic and 4 day Nassau segment and we had wonderful ATK presentations on the World Stage which was a nice venue for it with the large screens.  The Nieuw Statendam then received a new stage set for ATK upon arrival in FLL but it wasn't yet installed for our sailings.  I suspect the Koningsdam is due to receive the same treatment.  

11 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I thought this thread was about the Rock Room...….

It is nice to have the Rock and Roll venue

The band was good but not great mostly due to lead singers not having great voices. It is a step in the right direction for entertainment for HAL as they try to woo a younger demographic. I preferred it to the Billboard venue but still think BB King performers are better. My personal favorite on this cruise was the Lincoln Stage Quintet. I found them to be extremely talented and enjoyable to watch. Then on disembarkation day at breakfast we sat next to people who thought the quintet was horrendous and off key. So the bottom line is musical entertainment, like food, is subjective.

My biggest complaint on this cruise is that I saw a total decline in the level of service in every venue- MDR, Specialty restaurants(with the exception of Tamarind),bar service, Dutch Cafe, room service, Dive In, Lido, NY Deli- just about everywhere. I even asked the guest relations manager I spoke with if they had a whole new crew aboard as things were so problematic. Our ship even sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale more than 1 1/2 hours late because they had to wait for food to be delivered. 

17 hours ago, Travrat said:

Just came off Koningsdam. I am a huge Rock fan but agree that the singers were not good. Watched one to two sets only- could not take much more of them! BB King Club much better talent. Piano players in Billboard were awful- thought the same last year and they were different entertainers. The concept of these venues is good but the talent is lacking. Loved the Lincoln Center on Stage Italian Quintet!!!

HAL needs to add some daytime entertainment on sea days. Unless you like to bake in the sun there is nothing going on. What happened to the Caribbean music at the pool? Why no interesting lecturers and I don't mean "where to shop". They eliminated the cooking demos. They need to step up the game as there is a lot of competition out there

I agree with you. Just got off of the Koningsdam. There was nothing to do. Any demonstrations or lectures were just venues to sell things. The rock room was loud and was just noise. I grew up in that era and even danced on Bandstand. They were not typical of rock and roll. the pianists in the billboard were bad..singing off key. The string quintet was a class act. 

16 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Are you saying that the America's Test Cooking demos are totally gone?   I emailed HAL mariner society and got a response today that they are still doing them just in a different location on the ship than before dry dock.

They are gone...not even any mention of them. That was what I expected but they were no where. There was nothing to do during the day. 

Edited by Pokeymon

It does seem, from various other topics, that Beautiful Koningsdam has some service/ entertainment issues.

With the addition of Nieuw Statendam, I think that a lot of new crew was hired, and  lots of crew onboard new to Koningsdam...

16 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Are you saying that the America's Test Cooking demos are totally gone?   I emailed HAL mariner society and got a response today that they are still doing them just in a different location on the ship than before dry dock.

Seattle might think they have them, but if they do they certainly were not mentioned anywhere on board.  We were on the Dec 10 sailing and I looked every day and no mention at all.  Maybe they will start them again after new year but they no cooking demos on our cruise. Missed them on this cruise.

Jane

The BB-King Blues Club is sometimes just plain LOUD !!   

The famous professional speaker company Cerwin-Vega had a company slogan  "Loud is Beautiful...If it's Clean".

Sometimes these bands use cheap equipment and just crank it up and all you hear is distorted sound, which is annoying to everyone.   If you have quality amps and speakers, the clean, un-distorted audio sounds great and is not annoying.   I hope the bands in the Rolling Stone Rock Room use quality equipment.   

All performers on the ship use the audio equipment installed on the ship - it is definitely professional quality. I was surprised, TAD2005, by your suggestion that "sometimes these bands just use cheap equipment and crank it up".  Your description sounds like a pick-up garage band with no budget. I have been in the entertainment industry for 40 years. And we have cruised many times on HAL. The level of talent, especially in the BB King lounge, is outstanding - a far cry from a garage band. And true professionals do not use cheap instruments. The sound level is controlled by the sound engineer in the booth at the back of the room. If you have issues with sound levels, please do not criticize the musicians.

• Like 1

I have yet to see or hear any bad BB Kings player/ singer onboard a HAL ship. Every cruise, they are outstanding.

The Pianists of Billboard however have always been disappointing, except the very first time we saw them. Mostly because of weak voices.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, jabcruiser said:

Agree absolutely.  Please don't try to do Mama Cass (not rock and roll anyway IMHO) and Stevie Nicks if you don't have a strong voice.  Had to leave during "Crossroads" as just too awful, this being one of my favorite songs.  Tried it twice and just not good enough to enjoy.,  Great concept as I love R&R but please get a real singer(s).  BB King band was amazing though.  Really good musicians and both male and female singers excellent.  Loved them.

Jane

I'm laughing to myself reading this.  It sounds like "Nick, the Lounge Lizard" does Rock & Roll.  

I have high hopes for this venue.  Hope they "get their act together."

I was on the 12/28/18 - 1/4/19 Koningsdam sailing, I guess that was the second cruise for Koningsdam's Rolling Stone Rock Room band.  I thought they were outstanding!  They had good chemistry with each other and every one of them had serious talent.  The frontman, Adam, has something really special as an entertainer.  There was a night or two where his throat must have been sore, as on those nights they leaned more on the songs featuring the other vocalists to give his voice a rest.  It must be hard to sing in that style 3 sets a night, only having a night off like once a week.  I was very impressed with him making every show special for each audience.

The female guitarist and vocalist, Leilani, blew me away with her electric guitar solos.  She was solid as a vocalist too, especially on Janis Joplin's "Piece of my Heart."  Wow!  The keyboard had a more straight-laced style of voice which really hit the spot on more laidback songs such as Cripple Creek.  Since they had 3 different vocalists, they were able to have a deep repertoire and kept each set dynamic and interesting.   The drummer had a great energy.  He seemed to be having the time of his life and never missed a beat.  I would've bought a CD if they had one.  The RSRR was a highlight of the cruise for me.

Oh also they played at the Lido Pool for New Year's Eve and KILLED IT.  The crowd was going nuts!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TempoATK said:

Oh also they played at the Lido Pool for New Year's Eve and KILLED IT.  The crowd was going nuts!

That will be something you never forget.   I have been on K'Dam for New Years and saw the RS Room band on NS but for you to get it together is pretty cool.

We were on the Premier cruise of the Nieuw Statendam . I enjoy the music on the music walk very much but the BB King Blues Club and also the Rolling Stone Rock Room were way , way too loud  !  It was painful to sit there too long and enjoy a beverage .  They must think that all people over 50 have problems with their hearing . I think they should turn it down a nodge it would be much more enjoyable . Staying there too long would give you a hearing problem ! 

Best move they made on the NS was moving the Lincoln Centre performances to the Queens Lounge and the quinted they had on board was fantastic ! 

Just my opinion but heard from a lot more people on board the same . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We were on the Premier cruise of the Nieuw Statendam . I enjoy the music on the music walk very much but the BB King Blues Club and also the Rolling Stone Rock Room were way , way too loud  !  It was painful to sit there too long and enjoy a beverage .  They must think that all people over 50 have problems with their hearing . I think they should turn it down a nodge it would be much more enjoyable . Staying there too long would give you a hearing problem ! 

Best move they made on the NS was moving the Lincoln Centre performances to the Queens Lounge and the quinted they had on board was fantastic ! 

Just my opinion but heard from a lot more people on board the same . 

I totally concur and we were with sailingdutchy on the Premier voyage.