Silversea Explorer Antartica Dress Code

Pcardad

Travel agents says - no dress code enforced as it is an expedition. This is confirmed by a call to Silversea customer service.

However, after reading multiple reviews here I see various answers. Would anyone care to share the real story?

Also, should we expect the outdoor grill to be open BOTH lunch and Dinner? Silversea Customer service has no idea.

Thanks!

You will have all Casual dress code every night other then Captains welcome and farewell. Those two nights will be informal dress code (Only in the main dining and La Dame) All other restaurants will be casual.  

Outdoor grill will be open each day and night depending on weather, winds and temperature. When it is open you may need blankets that they will provide. 

Edited by carefreecruise
  • Like 1

Is there a second restaurant on the Explorer? I was told it only had one as it only has 132 passengers. 

I understand that the brochure says casual with 2 semi-formal but we are only allowed 50 pounds and almost every review I read said jeans were commonplace for meals due to the nature of the trip. Getting 2 different answers from Customer Service was not very helpful.

14 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Is there a second restaurant on the Explorer? I was told it only had one as it only has 132 passengers. 

I understand that the brochure says casual with 2 semi-formal but we are only allowed 50 pounds and almost every review I read said jeans were commonplace for meals due to the nature of the trip. Getting 2 different answers from Customer Service was not very helpful.

Sorry I added the second restaurant by mistake. It only has a grill and main dining. Brochure is correct. semi-formal is not as dress-up as you may think. For men its just a long sleeve shirt and pants other than jeans.  You may find when you get closer that jeans is not the right material to wear for Antarctica.  So if packing is a problem then maybe some other type of pants will be better suited for this voyage?

I just got a Customer Service Supervisor at Silversea who says there is basically no dress code on Expedition voyages...you will not be turned away any night. I am bringing 2 casual khaki style long pants and 2 long sleeve shirts - no jackets. Thi is my first Silversea trip (although we have 640+ on Regent) so just getting the hang of what to expect. The supervisor was unable to confirm the outdoor grill for anything but lunch so that will be interesting. Is the internet decent?

Definitely no jacket needed, other than a puffer-style for warmth and weather protection.  What often happens in Antarctica is that during dinner there are major wildlife sightings and everyone dashes out on deck.  You certainly wouldn't do that in any sort of formal wear.   In any event, there are enough penguins down there without passengers trying to look like them.

We are on the Cloud right now. The Captain's Welcome dinner was "Casually Elegant".

I saw a mixture of men in sport coats, to dress shirts with or without ties, to polo shirts, to blue jeans. Didn't see tuxes on the men or gowns on the women. I just wore a black top (no sequins) and black pants.

Captain decided to bypass Bleaker and Sea Lion islands originally scheduled on 12/26 so that we could traverse Drake's Passage starting tomorrow afternoon (after a stop in Stanley in the morning of 12/25) ahead of more adverse conditions on 12/27.

Edited by cflutist
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Thank you all!

Do any of the stops on the Antarctica cruises include a visit to a research base? I heard that some of those have bars/gift shops ad thought it would be great to visit.

Our Explorer trip (Feb 2018) stopped at Port Lockroy.  It’s no longer an active research base, but a museum, gift shop and post office.  https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/antarctic-exploration-museum-post-office

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting off the Explorer now - jeans are fine and perfectly appropriate for being on a ship in Antarctica. Most people made a small effort to be smarter in the evening, but some didn't. We brought too many smart clothes so don't go overboard. Ties are not necessary and jacket is optional, pack a few shirts / couple of pairs of smarter pants. 

The grill restaurant is open for lunch and dinner weather permitting. We had great weather so it was often open, Pia (Head chef), will always open it if at all possible. 

We did not stop at any open research stations (many Argentinian ones are closed down), other than Grytviken in South Georgia. 

• Like 1