Visually Impaired Cruisers

lharry

This is completely new territory for me - - my 33 year old son was recently diagnosed with a rare genetic disease, and is quickly loosing his vision (going blind).  We (and he) are schedule to cruise next year, and I really want this to be a good experience for him - right now, he's bummed out about the cruise because, as he states, "I won't be able to see all the beautiful sites".  I am doing my best to keep him uplifted through this, and I have assured him that we will have an amazing trip.

So, my questions are this, do we need to let Carnival know of his disability?  Does the Hub App have any accessibility features for the visually impaired? Is there any other visually accessible situations that I haven't considered that we may encounter on our cruise?

Thank you!

I encourage you to reach out and contact Carnival Special Needs Directly.  Make sure your cabin is suitable for someone vision impaired.  and that the ship configuration is relatively easy to move around.  Most blind folks I've seen on cruises have service dogs and/or companions.  There's a Disability Forum on  CC , you may wish to search for recommendations or suggestions there.

But do have him go on the cruise.  He may still enjoy the sounds and environment.

• Like 1

Our best man at our wedding is blind- he lost his sight due to juvenile diabetes at age 21.  He's a computer programmer, golfer, world traveler... he has cruised numerous times and loves to travel everywhere.

While he might not realize it right now, your son will find that his other senses will take over and in fact, the sounds, the smells, the 'feels' he experiences will augment his experience while cruising, possibly even surpassing yours!

It will be a tough adjustment, but he'll get through it! You all are in my prayers!

As a friendly piece of advice, when you go ashore, try to come back a little early before the masses start re-boarding.  For the safety of your son, the fewer people that are trying to get into the elevators, the better off he will be.   Sometimes they get downright rude and push and shove.  

We took my sister in law on a cruise when she was in a wheelchair.  You would not believe how rude the other passengers were when we were trying to get her into the elevator.  They literally shoved their way ahead of us and we were standing right in front of the elevator.

When we were on Fascination we went on a shore excursion with a gentleman who was blind. It was a tour of Harrison's Cave in Barbados. The tour guide made sure to be extra descriptive of the sights for him and the driver of the tram even brought him some of the water from a cave pool so he could touch it and taste it (which is something no one else was allowed to do) and they may have even let him touch the cave wall. He seemed to enjoy the tour as much as the rest of us. We saw him several times throughout the cruise and he looked like he was enjoying himself. So, I hope your son decides to go and I hope that he has a blast.