Disability Scooter Transport on Overseas Air

retafcruiser

I have read plenty about domestic (US) airlines transporting disability scooters at no cost to the traveler. In fact, it appears they are legally bound to do so. But I have not read about experiences with the scooters on overseas travel. We want to take a Med cruise but need to fly with our scooter both directions. Are we going to have problems doing this?

I have had no trouble with either Iberia nor British Airways. Iberia did not permit gate checking but that was not a major problem. The took the scooter at check-in and I was provided a wheelchair and a pusher to the tarmac. Also Iberia loaded me through the back of the plane using a lift truck. So even though it was different than on US airlines it all worked out. I flew Iberia from Venice to Madrid and Madrid to Chicago where I transferred to American for the rest of the trip.

Edited by katisdale

Like others, I have traveled on foreign airlines without any problems. Regardless, I do contact the airline prior and advise them that I will have my scooter. It is a simple courtesy. My traveling companion experienced a problem with a French airlines mainly because they did not have advance notification. It happened to be a connecting flight and she assumed the US airline and shared the info. A number of years ago, various Chinese airlines wanted all sorts of info in advance, which we provided.

I use to travel with oxygen, which is considerably more involved and as long as the airline knew in advance, it was not a problem. The various US airlines wanted a doctor's certificate for oxygen, which is probably still required.

All airlines will question battery type. To my knowledge, if you have lithium batteries, you may have to carry the batteries on the plane with you. That is a very important safety factor. If you use the standard gel batteries, it is not an issue.

Even with the US airlines, I always notify them in advance. At one point, various US airlines stated wheel chair / mobility scooter space was on a first come / first serve basis. I have not seen that in the past few years.

Have a wonderful trip.

Betty