Rick Steves Cruise Tips

cltnccruisers

Our first cruise was on American cruise lines in Hawaii. It was a great way to sample the islands. Rather than spend time packing and unpacking and hopping from island to island, cruising allowed more time at the destination. I like being on a ship, so for me it is about the journey. So I don't mind the Caribbean and seeing the same islands over and over again. Frankly, if DH had better mobility I would love to go back to Europe and travel the way we used to. We have not done a European cruise for the reasons that RS would agree with. If I go to Europe I want to spend more than a few hours in a place and I want to explore on my own. But given that I can not imagine DH sitting in an airline seat for many hours... and the resulting potential health issues associated with travel... (eg the bronchitis I seem to always get etc)... we have come to terms with short hops and cruising. I like the ship bringing me places. But in a more perfect world.... I would be taking the train through Europe or driving to the small villages of ancestors and seeing other sites... not all necessarily in a tour book.

We have done 51 cruises because we like to be on a ship and enjoy its activities, lectures, shows, etc.  Many of our cruises have been transatlantics.   Visiting the ports, at least those outside the Caribbean, are an added bonus.  My husband doesn't gamble so we've never gone to Vegas.  For us (esp. me who likes to play the slots), cruising is our Vegas with 152 ports thrown in 😉   We've also done land trips in Europe.  Finally, we've visited almost all the states and most of the Canadian provinces.  So one could say we like to travel by car, by plane or by ship.