Eurodam San Diego

Jen1000

3 minutes ago, Jen1000 said:

Does anyone know when check in and boarding starts in San Diego?  My documents say 1 PM but I would expect it is earlier.  We were planning to arrive about 11 but I am wondering if that is too early.

Thanks,

Jen

Boarding will start at or around 1130

We like to get to the pier by 10:30.  Drop off the luggage, go through security and check-in.

HAL is very good about starting to allow passengers onto the ship around 11:30.  And 99.9% of the time the cabins are ready at that time so that you can drop off your carry-ons, etc., and do whatever you want to -- walk around the ship, go to lunch, etc.

Check-in normally will start at 10:45 or so after security is in place......early arrivals have comfortable seating and clean restroom facilities available in the first of 4 large separate areas at the pier.   Entertainment is limited, because the port has not recently payed the cable bill for the TVs.  

Porters begin to arrive "up front" about 10:30......just after disembarking has finished.

Usually, the first group of 4 & 5 Star Mariners, and Pinnacle Suites are allowed to board at 11:30 - 11:40 am.  The progression after that is a bit more complicated, but alphabetical trumps numerical boarding passes....so it is not advantageous to come early unless you have either status or a suite.

Open boarding can be as early as noon, or as late as 12:45.

Today's temperature was posted at 64 degrees, but it felt more like 75 with clear skies all day....same predicted for tomorrow.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder...... Disney Wonder and Nieuw Amsterdam will share the port in San Diego on Sundays from March 24 thru April 28th.

You will find that disembarkation will take longer than usual. 

Therefore, embarkation will be affected.

Bring patience and expect traffic on and around the pier.

David

• Like 2

Embarkation in San Diego went okay when we were the only ship in port, On this cruise it was 3-4-5 star Mariners who got priority boarding on our Christmas Eurodam, not just 4 and 5 star.  Three star got tender priority boarding too. I think there were not that many 4 and 5 star on this ship which is why they expanded the privileges.

However, the first line to go through security before you got to the embarkation area was long which is where all the waiting took place - serpentine lines. Then it is a long walk to the 3-4-5 star boarding line. But it is also closest to the boarding ramp - and there you are on the ship.  

The security check line is where things can really back up if there are more ships in port on the same day.Everyone goes into this line together if they are using the same dock facility  Not sure if they are also using their new Terminal B for other ships - which would help on days with multiple ships.  

They were disembarking the Semester at Sea ship at Terminal B when we were there - lots of fun homecomings for those college students - what an adventure. 

Providing embarkation times I suppose was intended to smooth out the process, and spread the impact over a longer period of time.   Therefor no bets about what happens when you show up early ,since many are now ignoring the assigned embarkation schedules and showing up when they want to as well. 

Edited by OlsSalt

The Broadway Pier (Complex as it is often referred to) is too small for these ships. There is not a sufficient loading dock to unload trucks with stores, there is not any passenger waiting area prior to check-in, and the pier is not long enough for the stern lines to be tagged.  There are only 4 bus loading stalls, and room for just 8 taxis to be loading at one time.  Trucks, taxis, and buses share only one lane to access place and exit.

Disney tried it.....Holland America tried it.....Celebrity tried it.   The facility is very capable hosting weddings, parties, and

it works well with Regent, Oceania, Silversea, and a few others.....less than 800 passengers.

It was Carnival's $32 million dollars that built it in the first place for the Elation and Spirit.

They are long gone, and when the Miracle comes, it will be at B Street.

The Port of San Diego has just improved electrical connections at B Street for the many forklifts that will longer run on propane.  This will reduce a potential fire hazard as well as keeping the air cleaner.  A small step forward.

I was just last week in Miami, where I transited the new Royal Caribbean Terminal A.  A brand new NCL terminal B is under construction next to it.

Multi-story parking lots are adjacent.  

Both terminals are designed to accommodate ships with an excess of 6,000 passengers and 1,800 crew and have 2 gangways.  Truck deliveries are on the east side of it, with wide roadways.  The escalators are wide enough in width and depth to roll on luggage.  There are no restrictions to size.  A fire department house is next door in the event of emergency response.

I don't see that the Mayor or City Council in San Diego have any clue as to what is going on with the cruise industry growth.....and they don't care.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, taosjellybean said:

DAllen TDY

David

Can my husband drive me into San Diego Pier in our car so I can be dropped off where the Porters are?

Thanks

Jo Ann

For sure you can be dropped off at the entrance to the area where the porters will be.  But I believe security prevents you from driving into the gated turn-around luggage handling area, if not a booked passenger. 

1 hour ago, taosjellybean said:

DAllen TDY

David

Can my husband drive me into San Diego Pier in our car so I can be dropped off where the Porters are?

Thanks

Jo Ann

====

Certainly.   I was there Dec 2018.   It was a short walk about 25 feet from where the taxi/populace drop off to porters and covered entrance.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
added

Yes, but not until disembarkation has been completed or nearly so. 

On an average day, this would be around 10 am.

In the past, when 2 ships are at B Street, Harbor Police would not allow entry until 11 am.

David