Bet you never thought you would see this thread....

Danno

From what I understand about the wine onboard, their selections are not what you would find on land because to keep a very fine wine in the proper condition they must be kept "still". On a rocking and rolling ship, that would be impossible, so they do not carry the "ultra ultra" fine wines. If there is something that you want that they don't stock, bring your own and gamble whether they will charge you the corkage fee. Some waiters do, some don't.

MOst lines offer bottles in the 75-200 price range. They have cellars to store them properly.

IMO, training is lacking on specific cruise lines, especially those that have cut out sommeliers.

Does anybody remember 25 years ago when the ship got out past the three mile limit that drinks used to go down to $0.85 each because there were no taxes?? (showing my age).

I agree with one fo the previous posts.....it is what it is. DW and I just came back from Vegas. They make Celebrity's prices look darn good.

I hate it, but I'll drink anyway.

Rick

This is why we bring alcohol on board with us. If drinks were reasonably priced it wouldn't be worth the hassle but when you're paying $11 for a drink that is absurd. My husband and I drink 3 martinis each before dinner that alone on a 10 day cruise would be $660. That doesn't even include after dinner drinks or a beer by the pool during the day.

It is no wonder X turns the other way when people bring drinks on board (in my experience).

at the amount that drinks went up. Also some of the spa treatments.

For our two nighter to Cococay on the Century, We also did the spa:

1 Manicure, 1 deep tissue massage (30.00 off departure special) 4 times at BINGO, snorkel rental on island...and beverages....$785.00 for two people. Thats not much less than what we used to spend on a 7 nighter.

However, Living in Chicago and going to ANY decent restaurant or bar...you will pay $7 - 10 for a martini, $5 - 8 for a mixed drink and $35.00 - 45.00 for a DECENT bottle of wine. Accordingly, we only go out once a week or so, you can get a bottle of rum for less than $12.00 at Sams, and a case of beer for about $15.00.

So while we look at the cost for all of this we seem to forget we don't drink as much in our daily lives as we do on vacation...At least we don't.

I have to agree that they are increasing their profits, but really are not charging anymore than most decent establishments.

At 9.75 for a Kir Royal at Michaels Club...I'l try not to have more than 5 a night.

Dave:eek:

mexico has several dark beers that are very good. just have to ask for them.

in mexico we bought two bottles of tequila liquor; in costa rica i bought a six pack of beer; none of my stuff was confiscated. did see alot of stuff in panama taken due to the duty free port.

WOW!!! I never thought I would see the day!!!

HI RICK AND ANNE, I remember buying a whiskey and ginger ale onboard the old Queen Elizabeth...in 1965. The cost was 35 CENTS!!! The bar steward would come to your table with a silver tray and place the drink and a separate mini bottle in front of you and you would place the money on his tray. He would be very happy with 50 CENTS!!! Beers were 5 CENTS and great wine was $3.00 or free at the dining table. How times have changed.

Shipping lines do not pay taxes on their booze. They buy it in huge quantities and get incredible deals for bulk purchases from the distilleries. A litre of gin or vodka costs them less than $5.00 per. Now do the math.

The problem is...that the ships are now going to Europe and charging the same prices in Euros. This gives them another 20% boost with the favorable exchange. The net result is "FULL GREED AHEAD".

SO DANNO!!! Here is what you do...on your upcoming CENTURY cruise. Pack all your clothes in your luggage and pack all your booze in your carry-on!!! Sit back and enjoy your veranda and don't feel like you are sneaking or cheating at anything...because you are not. They x-ray everything that goes onboard and they now examine your suitcases if they want. If they wanted to be like NCL they could easily confiscate your booze.

We took a Princess Cruise in October...in fact we took 2 of them. The booze prices were much better...for $9.40 or so you could get a 1 quart drink...YES...that's right...a real honest 32 oz drink. A bucket of Hienikan's was $14.00 plus tip...5 for $16.00...do the math. On the last night of our 1st. cruise I was able to buy a full litre of my favorite dark rum, Meyers, for $10.50...along with some gin and vodka at equally fantastic prices. I simply packed up my carry-on and took them right along with me to the next ship. I still have a hefty bar bill at the end of each week but I am able to have a party in my cabin and treat my guests to a darn good time. What you do in your cabin is your business as long as you are not bothering anyone else.

If I wanted to have a drink in New York or LA I would go there and do so. If I want just the right mix on my RUM PUNA I will go to my cabin and do so...LOL!!!

ROSS

That's why some people - me included - bring what they want to drink with them. Last time it was for a group of 10 or so.

I had my friends bring their Celebrity Martini shaker with them. I got the Grey Goose into the room. And we had a great party time.

They also stopped by the Martini bar a few times but not to the over $100 tune.

Cruise smart.

Have fun.

Don't stop others from their fun unless it's overboard.

And I always tip the wine person about $5 even if we do not use them as they usually stop by to talk a bit during the cruise.

Longboys, I totally understand the logic of bringing your own bottles on, but I never did that before and I may not this time around either (although that isn't written in stone). It's not that I think it's wrong, I just don't want to be bothered lugging bottles with me (I pack enough as it is :eek: ) BUT I do resent the fact that I'll be paying up to $11 for a single drink. It's insane!! It used to be that cruise drinks were equivalent in price to drinks on land, but I'd say that is no longer the case. I'm not a huge drinker (thank goodness) and on a shorter cruise this would olnly annoy me a little, but for a longer cruise, I may have to rethink my packing. :rolleyes:

WOW!!! I never thought I would see the day!!!

SO DANNO!!! Here is what you do...on your upcoming CENTURY cruise. Pack all your clothes in your luggage and pack all your booze in your carry-on!!! Sit back and enjoy your veranda and don't feel like you are sneaking or cheating at anything...because you are not. They x-ray everything that goes onboard and they now examine your suitcases if they want. If they wanted to be like NCL they could easily confiscate your booze.

I can't be bothered to drag booze onboard...and doing so will still make me uncomfortable...I assume I will spend my money off the ship, still enjoy a drink or two on the ship and fill out a NASTY comment card...charge me a fair price for the cruise and a fair price for drinks and I'm happy, this is a shell game...and before it comes up, I could afford beer at $3.50 and I can well afford it if it were $8.50, but I don't like gouging!!

Just a thought. Our first cruise was about ten years ago on the brand new Granduer of the Seas. We paid about $2200.00 for a veranda cabin at the last minute because the ship we were supposed to sail on (Noordam) broke a prop hitting a sand bar. It was a steal at the time. They wanted to fill it. We get a veranda cabin now at the same time of year for $1600.00 to $1800.00 day in and day out. I also used to spend lot more for an airline ticket. I also used to get a meal with silverware instead of peanuts. We all wanted this. Give me the best most competitive price you have.

If the cruise lines want to charge me more for a drink...I DON'T BLAME THEM!!!! We need to blame ourselves. we wanted lower prices and now we have them. When they charged us more for our cabins we didn't seem to mind to much. Now they charge us a couple more dollars for a drink and everyone is upset.

I hate to say it...I'll take the lower fare. It cost us $2200.00 for ur first cruise that I can get now for $1800.00. That is a $400.00 difference. That means that if a drink is $2.00 more I have to cut myself off when I hit 200 drinks in 7 days. Hmmmmmmmm.:D

Prices have gone up on RCI this past year. It has becoming nickel and diming and gouging on whatever. The mega ships are much more profitable than the old liners as they carry many more pax. Rick is right...the lines are now run by accountants...sadly.

Ross

I have always believed that passengers shouldn't carry booze on the ship...my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

My other opinion is that drinks should be priced fairly...after reading that drink prices have been bumped up to the tune of 20%+...I will state another opinion, I don't like to be gouged!!

I expect I'll drink a couple of beers away from the ship and a few less while onboard...an who knows, even a drink before dinner in our cabin with friends...

I am in business...I understand that fair profit is to be expected...but $5+ for lousy beer...I guess there is no competition while at sea, is there.

Hi Danno,

I'm a bartender in my spare time and although I don't drink, I also believe there's a bit of price gouging on cruise ships lately. People even have to pay on average $2.00 for a can of soda. My husband and I will usually carry our own large bottles of water on board and then buy more when we get to port -usually about $1.00 or so each (better than paying $3.00 + 15% restocking fee in your cabin). You can sometimes get a few bottles of beer through the security check on board and then you can enjoy them on board - about $1.50 in Mexico - maybe even a buck! Some may still take your liquor away though and store it until you disembark.

I just came back from a 15-day cruise aboard the Summit to Hawaii and I even noticed an extra "tipping" line after the customary 15% gratuity is added on. I saw one woman pay $12.00 for a glass of champagne. I hope it was a good brand for her sake!

Food for thought! I would list the cruise ships I've been on but there are way too many. Let's just say I've been cruising since 1972 and have taken 63 cruises on just about every major cruise line (and some now defunct lines)!

Happy cruising!

Laurie

cruiselover57@yahoo.com

I wonder how many people who think Celebrity's prices are outrageous have purchased drinks at a resort or upscale hotel recently. Comparing the cost of a drink on a Celebrity Cruise with what a consumer pays for a bottle at a liquor store is like comparing the cost of a shampoo at a hair salon with buying a tube of shampoo at Walgreens.

Not to burst your bubble but the Bull and Bear room in the Waldorf Astoria charges more than $13 per martini. And only gives peanuts whereas they used to have the best complimentary nut selection. Gouging is everywhere.
I keep noting that some of you insist on drawing comparisons to the most extreme examples. Most cruisers don't live in NYC, and those that do probably spend a bit less time yet in the Waldorf.

Posters here will typically (and justifiably) compare drink prices on Celebrity's ships to typical prices in the nicer restaurants of their own home turf. Looking at nationwide averages of such establishments would draw a fairer comparison, especially given that you can bet that Celebrity is getting some fantastic volume discounts compared to many of the restaurants to which their prices are compared, and I can only imagine that they're managing to bypass the not insignificant duty on their liquor vs. domestic restaurants as well.

I think it would be more than fair to say that their profit margins on their booze sales are substantially higher than that of comparable restaurants and bars in most of North America.

I agree...everyone in business, and I mean EVERYONE (even oil companies) are entitled to a fair return on investment if they run their business well...but some companies (even oil companies) will gouge once they have trapped a client.

Again...I'll simply vote with my Visa card and spend less...I'm sure this won't make my cruise any less enjoyable...I'll tip my favorite server(s) additional cash at the end. Chances are I'll even spend more this way, but the server will get it, not RCL...I'll reward good service, drink less and feel good about it.

It really never was about the $....

In November on Century, we, as always, decided, as noted by others on this board, that we would not nickle-and-dime ourselves to death! :p Celebrity, yes; us, no way! We are on a special vacation (all cruises are special!:) ) after all. We are not wine connaisseurs and have no need to spend big bucks on expensive name brands. That being said, each night with dinner, getting a bottle of the second cheapest bubbly, Mumm's Napa, which we like, the cost in Canadian was almost $40 (I would guess that in an American store it would be about $10-$15?) and we would have a glass or two in the Rendevous-Lounge before and another couple after dinner. At $8.50/glass, the cost can add up, but with the sea pass, who notices that you are spending about $100-plus a night until you get your bill? The total is always a surprise until you think about 9 nights and the possible total each night...

I agree that the prices continue to rise with each cruise we take, but as has been said, "What can you do?" You have to live with it or cut back on your vacation pleasures and who wants to do that? If we were "going overboard" and swilling the stuff into us all the time, I could see cutting back.

I must say that it never occurred to me to :mad: complain to the cruise line (well, duh!) about the price increases as I just accepted it as "the price of doing business". Not any more; I agree with the suggestion that we should at least let the line know that we are unhappy not so much with small increases, but with gouging!

Just a thought. Our first cruise was about ten years ago on the brand new Granduer of the Seas. We paid about $2200.00 for a veranda cabin at the last minute because the ship we were supposed to sail on (Noordam) broke a prop hitting a sand bar. It was a steal at the time. They wanted to fill it. We get a veranda cabin now at the same time of year for $1600.00 to $1800.00 day in and day out. I also used to spend lot more for an airline ticket. I also used to get a meal with silverware instead of peanuts. We all wanted this. Give me the best most competitive price you have.

If the cruise lines want to charge me more for a drink...I DON'T BLAME THEM!!!! We need to blame ourselves. we wanted lower prices and now we have them. When they charged us more for our cabins we didn't seem to mind to much. Now they charge us a couple more dollars for a drink and everyone is upset.

I hate to say it...I'll take the lower fare. It cost us $2200.00 for ur first cruise that I can get now for $1800.00. That is a $400.00 difference. That means that if a drink is $2.00 more I have to cut myself off when I hit 200 drinks in 7 days. Hmmmmmmmm.:D

Please trying reading the above...again.

We all wanted lower prices for cruising and we got them. Now people want to complain about a dollar more for a beer or $5.00 more for a bottle of wine. I don't get there point!!!:eek:

Please trying reading the above...again.

We all wanted lower prices for cruising and we got them. Now people want to complain about a dollar more for a beer or $5.00 more for a bottle of wine. I don't get there point!!!:eek:

It's a fact of marketing life. Using a car as an example, you bargain like crazy to knock another $100 or so off the "best price," then jump in to add a $500 option that generates a $250 markup to the dealer.

The cruise lines concluded that, if they can advertise a lower cruise fare, they get the passenger whose price resistance level would have walked from a slightly higher price. Once on board, they count on the additional $2 per drink, etc. to fill in the margin lost on the front end fare. I'm sure they've also considered the reaction posted by Danno as well in doing the numbers.

I guess I'm just not adjusting to "new" cruising as well as some...my problem, the industry is not going to change for me.

I either get used to "nickle and diming", "bait and switch", and hidden charges, or move on to another vacation...life goes on.

Archived