Cancellation policy with marella.

Hi all.

Has anyone on here had to cancel a holiday with marella? The reason I ask is I have a cruise booked for April and l have paid the deposit and I am due to pay the balance early February.

My problem is it looks like I will need surgery in the next few weeks (I haven’t got a date as yet) so should I pay the balance and hope it will be done and dusted before we depart or cancel and cut our losses. Also what are marella like regarding a cancellation would they let us use the deposit at a later date on another cruise? Any advice appreciated.

Hello Brummijam

I cancelled last May just before the final balance was due.  I did this by phoning them.

At the time I was asked why and was offered a transfer/hold of the deposit.  However, because of the circumstances and not knowing if the deposit would be used in the time specified (can't remember what it was as brain was not in holiday planning gear), I decided to just cancel and forego the deposit.

As it transpired it was a false alarm and I rebooked several weeks later and got the same cabin at a slightly reduced price but without the drinks package, which was no loss, as I don't drink and dh is a beer drinker and no other specialty drinks are taken.

A phone call should sort the problem or, if you booked in shop, a visit.

Good luck.

Thanks both for the replies. The deposit transfer to a later cruise sounds good as we were planning another holiday later in the year. I am seeing a surgeon in a couple of weeks so I should know one way or another regarding operation waiting times.

The travel insurance cancellation claim is another avenue to explore but I am leaving that as a final option.👍

Edited by Brummijam
Spelling

I had to cancel last minute last year not only were they very unhelpful about this (sort of as I expected). They charged me an additional £45 cancellation charge for the cruise which had been already paid in full. I had to cancel to get the invoice for the insurance company.  The additional charge was not claimable on our insurance.  However a mention to 2 other companies whom where very very helpful - Virgin-Atlantic and Easy jet who both refunded or gave full value vouchers for their part of the cancellation.  Looking at cruising again now as I am lucky enough to for my Leukemia to now be remission but it sticks in my throat to use Marella again after that additional charge. Unfortunately, they are the only company to be cruising the canaries with an indoor sunbathing area so may have to swallow my pride lol.

Hi Fragilek.

First off I am glad that your Leukemia is in remission and long may it continue.

My problem seems a bit unimportant in life when we look at the bigger picture.

I have heard conflicting stories with regards to Marella some similar to yours where they squeeze every thing that they can and some like the post above where they will transfer the deposit  to another holiday. We use marella pretty regular since I retired and the actual cruise part of the deal suits us. I suppose it’s going to be a case of wait and see what happens in the next few weeks, as it stands we are at the stage where we will only lose our deposit but here’s  hoping we can still take the cruise as we are really looking forward to it.

As mentioned at the beginning of this post I hope all goes well with regards to your remission. Keep well and thanks for your input.

Brummijam.

As an aside if the Canaries cruise is on the Dream my advice is go for it. I can understand where you are coming from but why spoil the chance to get the sun on your back for the sake of £45

(Nick a few towels if you must). Just kidding🤫😁 The Dream is our favourite ship the staff are amazing I am pretty sure you will enjoy it and the canaries itinerary is quite good.Best wishes.

Edited by Brummijam
Spellung

10 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Don't forget you must inform your insurance provider as soon as you have a diagnosed problem or they may not cover you. Hope all goes well. 

Hi PC. Thanks for your input much appreciated.😉

I knew that you wouldn’t let me down.

Keep well.