Oversized bag Cunard /Atlantic crossing

UKGirlyUSA

Hello Everyone - Happy New Year. I have a Q,s - I will ramble 1st this is my 1st cruise it will be a one way and is for getting my dog home from USA to UK after living USA for 10 yrs they have banned my small breed from flying due to breathing complications with breed so the only way I can get home is to sail. I will be on the Queen Mary and have asked my rep many time regarding, luggage. I will have 2 carry ons with valuable and breakables that I would like to carry on to the ship and 4 suite cases all around 20 KG however one is 19kg but is a large holdall 62 x 20 x 13 total 72". is this going to get excepted - I will be on my own with luggage and a dog and would greatly appreciate a smooth transition the the ship. So help in advance would be mostly appreciated.  thanks

You have no problem with the size of luggage you intend to drop off at the  'main luggage conveyor belt' .  Occasionally there could be a problem with the security belt in the departure hall, with an 'oversized carry on'. 

Don't worry about a thing , you've enough on your mind, checking in yourself and a dog ( who incidentally will be well looked after)😉  

• Thanks 1

I've only had a total of one transatlantic, but I don't think there will be too many problems.

The larger, checked bags may be handed over to the Porters on arrival in Brooklyn, before checking your dog in with the kennel master [pet check in seemed to be outside, on the far left side of the terminal building].

In a normal Britannia cabin there will be under bed space for the large holdall - at 13" it should just slide under the bed. [or one of the beds if your room is configured with the beds separated] 

• Like 1

When you arrive at the Brooklyn Terminal be sure to tip the porters handsomely, I’d say $5/bag; that way all will be well and your luggage will be well taken care of. You will love QM2 and your ‘best friend’  may well not want to disembark after the treatment received in the kennel. Bon Voyage!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

You have no problem with the size of luggage you intend to drop off at the  'main luggage conveyor belt' .  Occasionally there could be a problem with the security belt in the departure hall, with an 'oversized carry on'. 

Don't worry about a thing , you've enough on your mind, checking in yourself and a dog ( who incidentally will be well looked after)😉  

Thank you so much for your response

6 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

When you arrive at the Brooklyn Terminal be sure to tip the porters handsomely, I’d say $5/bag; that way all will be well and your luggage will be well taken care of. You will love QM2 and your ‘best friend’  may well not want to disembark after the treatment received in the kennel. Bon Voyage!

Great advice thanks for your response

50 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I've only had a total of one transatlantic, but I don't think there will be too many problems.

The larger, checked bags may be handed over to the Porters on arrival in Brooklyn, before checking your dog in with the kennel master [pet check in seemed to be outside, on the far left side of the terminal building].

In a normal Britannia cabin there will be under bed space for the large holdall - at 13" it should just slide under the bed. [or one of the beds if your room is configured with the beds separated] 

Thank you

1 hour ago, canoncruiser said:

I really do have to laugh at some of our American cousins , $5 per bag !  The OP has a four pieces of luggage, so that's $20 !   just under/'almost' £20  in my money  

UK Girly , don't let these shore side folk intimidate you  $8/$10 is more than enough, they are only lifting your bags onto a conveyor belt . 

And take no notice of any rumours of these guys leaving folks luggage behind. I pass through Brooklyn ( bound for QM2) two or three times a year  , $2  per bag is gratefully accepted . 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, Bell Boy said:

I really do have to laugh at some of our American cousins , $5 per bag !  The OP has a four pieces of luggage, so that's $20 !   just under/'almost' £20  in my money  

UK Girly , don't let these shore side folk intimidate you  $8/$10 is more than enough, they are only lifting your bags onto a conveyor belt . 

Since it is the Brooklyn porters at issue, I would put more stock in the American perspective than the British view, where tipping is not such a part of the culture.
As a Canadian myself I am not a fan of mandatory tipping, yet I would consider $2/case the barest minimum that I would consider without insulting the porter. If i want special care taken of my bags at a critical juncture (from curb to ship), I would not bat an eye at dropping $20 for the set. The difference amounts to $10, which is equivalent to a brace of downtown coffees.
It's not like you can easily handle four cases plus two carry-ons and a pooch all by yourself, so I would simply consider it the cost of doing business.
Cunard does not cater to a bargain-basement clientele, so why quibble when you can protect your valuables for the cost of an extra ten bucks? Free yourself up to focus on your beast, rather than fretting about your bags.
PJ

Tipping isn't required in Brooklyn (there are prominent signs posted that say this), it's just that people fear the consequences if a porter (baggage handler is a better term) decides that he has been slighted.

Usually, I tip around $5 total for all bags, but this year it completely slipped my mind to have cash ready for the handoff. My bags showed up in my stateroom as quickly as ever (faster even than the last couple of years).

• Like 1

Thank you Everyone.. I will tip accordingly  as I will be grateful for the assistance, Chewbacca should be fine on board his breathing is just fine. Airlines worry with the brussels griffon breed. And put on no fly list. Im not worried at all I get to Sail home with my pooch and will be able to check on him daily whilst enjoying the refinements if the QM2. Thank you everyone. 

Edited by UKGirlyUSA
Spelling

On 1/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Bell Boy said:

And take no notice of any rumours of these guys leaving folks luggage behind. I pass through Brooklyn ( bound for QM2) two or three times a year  , $2  per bag is gratefully accepted . 

Well you can take this stance, but I think 'buying' a little insurance is well worth $20. To worry about $20 when you paying thousands or more for you crossing seems a bit on the 'tight' side. My perspective only.