Princess Cays

ISHCruising

Can someone give some insight on what to expect at this port?  I read a review of Carnival sponsored excursion which indicated that lunch was included on the Carnival island.  Is this correct--or do we need to re-board for food?

We will be diving in Freeport, which is a very expensive excursion, but wondering if it's worth booking anything at Princess Cays?  If we bring our own mask and snorkels, are there areas to snorkel?  Has anyone used a 3rd party for booking tours?  Fishing or otherwise?

Thanks!

We were there March 2018 and lunch was included on the island (typical BBQ fare: hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken, salads).  There were a lot of flies when we went, but my understanding is that can vary.  The food is okay but nothing to get excited about.  If I were to do it again I would eat a big breakfast before heading over then a late lunch back on the ship.

I don't think you need to book any excursions.  When you get off the tender most people will go to the left - this is more crowded, music playing, I think a small kiddie area, and larger shopping area (straw market type).  If you go to the right across a foot bridge it is less crowded, no music, and a few small local shop stands.  Both sides have picnic pavilion and rest rooms.

Princess Cay is primarily used by Princess Cruise Lines, which is under the Carnival umbrella (much like Half Moon Cay and Holland America) so some of the signage will be for PCL not Carnival.  This is a much rockier beach so you should have water shoes with you.  Although it doesn't have soft sand, it does have good snorkeling from the beach.  We stayed on the quieter side and the people next to us said it was some of the better snorkeling they'd done.  There is also a snorkel area on the left, but I don't know if it is reserved for excursions.

I've also read of passengers exploring Eluthera (sp?) Island on their own, but you would need to search some of the older thread for that info since we didn't do that.

Freeport has some really pretty beaches, but they are a drive from the port.  You were wise to spend your excursion budget there 🙂 Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the insight!  We decided to use a 3rd party tour operator to explore the other part of the island away from the crowds.  The reviews via TripAdvisor were pretty solid.  And speaking to the operator over the phone she sounds very professional and experienced, and offers many tours to cruise ship passengers.  We love the ease of cruising, but like to be able to get away from the crowds.  This port sounds a bit like our experience in Roatan, and we were SO thankful to have booked with a third party, even if it meant having to show IDs etc to leave the gated compound 🙂 

16 days to go, so ready!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...