Adventure-loving husband wants to explore waterfalls in Amber Cove...

Allytiel

... but I hate going under water. For those of you who have been on the Amber Cove Damajagua Waterfalls excursion, do you have to get your face in the water? I wear contacts, and would love to see if we go on this. Also, I absolutely refuse to jump into the water. Its a fear of mine. I absolutely hate going under water. Its bad enough sliding in and getting dunked. Yes, Im a baby when it comes to this, and Im close to telling my hub and friends to just do this one alone, but hubby really wants me to come! What can you tell me about the excursion that will convince me it won't be that bad? 😉 And if it is bad for someone like myself, just be honest.

Edited by Allytiel

Allytiel,

Sorry, but I think it will be bad for you.   I had a great time on this excursion last month, but I doubt if you'll enjoy it.

You will have to jump into the water and you'll end up going under the water.  One of the jumps is pretty high.  The water is deep on that one and I went down further than I expected.  They do have steps you could take down to avoid jumping for most of the jumps but don't remember if it was an option for all of them.  My friend is afraid of heights and she panicked on the big jump and took the steps instead.  And, you would need to slide down the rocks and end up underwater because there isn't a way around it. 

Everyone must wear a life jacket.  You float in the river between jumps and slides and some times you can touch the ground and sometimes you can't.  My friend's husband was worried about that piece because he's a poor swimmer, but he did fine thanks to the life jacket.

The hike up through the woods isn't an easy stroll through the park.  We're in our late 40's early 50's and not in the best shape.   So we were huffing and puffing during the walk.  The guides were great though and took numerous breaks so people could catch their breath.

Hope this helps!

I had a great time but don't think you'll enjoy it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info flwine, I have done a lot more research and based on that and your review, we have decided that my husband and our two travel companions will be doing the falls, I will be venturing out on my own for a more relaxed excursion. 😄

• 3 weeks later...

I have a review in my signature (carnival conquest cruise).   You have made the correct decision.  The tall jumps you can opt out of.  But let me tell you I thought about opting out but then saw the steep old looking stairs to climb down and i decided to jump.   I don't think there were places to opt out of the smaller jumps.  I am glad I went on the trip but probably wouldn't do it again.  🙂

On 1/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, brookeq said:

I am glad I went on the trip but probably wouldn't do it again

I read your review (thanks!).  I'll be in Amber Cove in a few weeks and I'm tentatively planning to do a 12 falls tour.  A couple questions:

Do you feel like it was unsafe, or just kind of scary? I don't mind pushing my limits but don't want to break anything. :classic_smile:

Why wouldn't you do it again?

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

I read your review (thanks!).  I'll be in Amber Cove in a few weeks and I'm tentatively planning to do a 12 falls tour.  A couple questions:

Do you feel like it was unsafe, or just kind of scary? I don't mind pushing my limits but don't want to break anything. :classic_smile:

I felt safe the entire time.  My husband loved it and would go back in a heart beat.  I wouldn't do it again because I don't love heights.  I can ride any roller coaster because I am strapped in.  But free heights bother me.   So I was a bit out of my comfort zone.  So once is enough for me.  But I still tell most people to go for it.   

7 hours ago, RW_MI said:

I felt safe, it was just kind of scary on a couple of jumps.  Listen to the guides...when they say jump straight down with your arms beside your sides, do it.  I didn't have any problems, but DH forgot to keep his arms straight beside him and landed on his back instead of feet first.  He paid for that mistake and ended up taking the stairs whenever offered the rest of the trip.  They did have a couple of places with medical help available if needed.  The first one was a guy with a donkey/mule that was the "ambulance" to take you back to the starting point.  The 2nd time was just a guy, but I saw he had some first aid kits.  Of course DH was didn't want to admit he was in pain...but he struggled walking back to the ship.  I'd definitely do it again!