Dancing on Regatta

claudiaYVR

I’ve searched for this topic but can’t find anything on just plain dancing (not ballroom) on Oceania and in particular on the R class ships.

Is there any? If so, in which venues? What kind of music? We are in our 50’s and love to do some dancing after dinner, show, etc. and will be on Regatta in less than three weeks.

Thanks!

Hi ClaudiaYVR. I’m currently on the Regatta and there are regular opportunities for dancing. For example, today’s program indicates there will be Smooth Dance Melodies with the Regatta Show Band at 6-6.45 pm in Horizons Bar (which has a dance floor) and then Get on your Feet and Dance with the Regatta Show Band In the Regatta Lounge (also has a dance floor) at 8.45-9.15pm.

Yesterday we had Smooth Dance Melodies at 6, a Rock the Boat Deck Party (with dancing) at 9-10.30pm, and a Deck Party After Party from 10.30pm which invited guests to ‘dance the night away’. From 11.30pm on there was Select Your Favourite Music on the DJ iPad in Horizons. The music is sort of easy crowd pleasing melodies - think, Slow Boat to China, I Get a Kick out of You, etc. I think they could play  requests too.

So if you enjoy dancing, there are many opportunities!

Edited by Perash
Spelling
  • Like 1

In addition, the ship’s band plays dance music for about 45 minutes before each evening show in the lounge - we always see several couples dancing there to mostly traditional dance tunes. This is particularly available on R ships that have a small dance floor in front of the stage.

We just recently finished Sydney to Bali.  The band is very loungey, and we found it impossible to dance to.  You have to know ballroom dances in order to dance.  We went to the pre-show dance several times, and really only one couple was ever dancing.   After the show in Horizons the band played but again few to mostly no one danced.  Anyway Horizons was pretty empty when the show ended at 9:30.

Technically the band is very good.  The band leader is a sax player, and he plays every single song.  Personally I don't care for the sax, and in my ears it is the sax that makes the loungey sound.  

People love love to dance, and yet basically no one did.  (Except one evening there was a pool party; the band played 60's songs, this time vocalists joined, the sax was limited, and the music was good and lots of people danced.  I noted that the one couple who danced at the pre-show dances did not dance here - everyone was free-form dancing, not ballroom).

We love to dance - can't do ballroom tho - and were very disappointed.  But if you know waltz, fox trot, etc., then this is the band for you. 

5 minutes ago, greenbeanie said:

Anyway Horizons was pretty empty when the show ended at 9:30.

The evening show usually starts at 9:30 pm in the Lounge  so maybe that is why Horizons is empty

Different ships have different bands  some good  some OK   so you never know what type of music the  band will play

Well, we don’t do ballroom so will have to do with the loungey band 🙂

In our experience (on other ships) when there are only a couple or two dancing the band tends to read the mood and play whatever pleases the dancers. Let’s hope for the best!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Perash, can you tell me if there's "Splenda" sweetener on board? 

Hi ClaudiaYVR. Yes there is Splenda available at all restaurants and bars on Regatta. They also have Truvia - which is some sort of Stevia derivative. And sugar of course. 

Hi Claudia, Jane and Scott here from London  Ontario. It looks like we are going wine touring in Napier with you and Steve. I'm now very excited  because I read the tour that we will be on with Ross and it looks great. My favourite wines are white austailian and New Zealand.  We arrive in Auckland on the 28th so it will give me time to pick up a couple bottles to take on board. 

As far as dancing goes on Oceania ,the only thing we have found lacking on the smaller oceania ships seems to be the entertainment and sometimes the bands.  We have our fingers crossed since we both like to do a bit of dancing. One of my favourite things to do on board is the tea time at 4ish . It's like going to the Empress every day! We are getting very excited as I've begun to pack. Looking forward to meeting me.  (I'm down as Sophiaandalucia on this site)

12 hours ago, sophiaandalucia said:

Hi Claudia, Jane and Scott here from London  Ontario. It looks like we are going wine touring in Napier with you and Steve. I'm now very excited  because I read the tour that we will be on with Ross and it looks great. My favourite wines are white austailian and New Zealand.  We arrive in Auckland on the 28th so it will give me time to pick up a couple bottles to take on board. 

As far as dancing goes on Oceania ,the only thing we have found lacking on the smaller oceania ships seems to be the entertainment and sometimes the bands.  We have our fingers crossed since we both like to do a bit of dancing. One of my favourite things to do on board is the tea time at 4ish . It's like going to the Empress every day! We are getting very excited as I've begun to pack. Looking forward to meeting me.  (I'm down as Sophiaandalucia on this site)

That is fantastic! I’m getting super excited too. You read my mind about the wines, my very favourites are NZ whites and I also plan on picking up a couple of bottles to take on board. Blake is not a wine person so the wine tasting will be a bit lost on him. We arrive on the 29th and will stay at the Stamford Plaza. I can’t start packing yet because one of my cats gets very upset 😞 but went shopping for shoes yesterday 🙂 

Hi Claudia, my email is sophiecruisej@yahoo.ca.  I some how lost this thread for awhile. We are staying at the Hotel Grand Windsor Sofitel on Queens st.  We fly from T.O. to L.A. Our L.A. flight is just under 13 hours with Air New Zealand and we arrive at 7:00am their time.on the 28th. Not going business class, so it will kill us and Scott has a fused spine! I laughed about not being able to pack because of kitty. Our fur babies get worked up as well. It's the only negative about travelling, besides the long flights.  We are flying home thru Vancouver on the 15th.  Nothing planned in Auckland. Maybe we can meet up. Lets email.

2 hours ago, sophiaandalucia said:

Hi Claudia, my email is sophiecruisej@yahoo.ca.  I some how lost this thread for awhile. We are staying at the Hotel Grand Windsor Sofitel on Queens st.  We fly from T.O. to L.A. Our L.A. flight is just under 13 hours with Air New Zealand and we arrive at 7:00am their time.on the 28th. Not going business class, so it will kill us and Scott has a fused spine! I laughed about not being able to pack because of kitty. Our fur babies get worked up as well. It's the only negative about travelling, besides the long flights.  We are flying home thru Vancouver on the 15th.  Nothing planned in Auckland. Maybe we can meet up. Lets email.

Hi Jane, mine is claudiaferris@shaw.ca. We're also flying Air NZ, looks like we'll be on the same flight coming back on the 15. We're also flying econ but considering the skycouch, have you seen it? maybe Scott's back would like it 🙂

We'll be doing the Hop on/Hop off in Auckland all day on the 29th and embarking at 11am the next day. if we don't meet before embarkation maybe we could get together before dinner somewhere? we're in 8051.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:59 AM, sophiaandalucia said:

One of my favourite things to do on board is the tea time at 4ish . It's like going to the Empress every day! 

Completely agree - Afternoon Tea time is delightful! We just got off Regatta today after cruising around Australia, and Afternoon Tea was one of my (many) favourite things. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Perish,The time is fast approaching. I have been reading your posts and want to thank you for sharing. It was delightful  touring Austaliia thru your eyes.  I love the Oceania cruise line, but it's a first on Regatta.  I am praying no mechanical issues come up for us. Looking forward to the wonderful food and my favourite tea time. 

Safe travels home!

• Like 1