Cuba and expiring Passport

Dunfer

My husband and I have a cruise to Cuba booked for late May.  I looked at his Passport yesterday, and it expires in August.  I searched the requirements for entering Cuba, and a US Government site says that Cuba only requires that the Passport be current for the time you are in Cuba, but that some airlines and cruise lines require that it be valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date.  On Royal Caribbean's web site, under "Frequently Asked Questions", there is a question, "Do I need a visa or any special documents to travel to Cuba?  It states . . . "All cruises to Cuba require a passport book (NO passport cards or other forms of I.D. will be accepted) valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date, . . .  ".  I have no problem with renewing his Passport before we go, however, I am worried with the Government shut down, it will slow things down quite a bit.   Is this 6 month thing a rule with Royal Caribbean, such that he won't be able to get off the ship in Cuba?  Has anyone been successful in getting off the ship in Cuba with a Passport that expires prior to 6 months?  TIA

19 hours ago, Dunfer said:

My husband and I have a cruise to Cuba booked for late May.  I looked at his Passport yesterday, and it expires in August.  I searched the requirements for entering Cuba, and a US Government site says that Cuba only requires that the Passport be current for the time you are in Cuba, but that some airlines and cruise lines require that it be valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date.  On Royal Caribbean's web site, under "Frequently Asked Questions", there is a question, "Do I need a visa or any special documents to travel to Cuba?  It states . . . "All cruises to Cuba require a passport book (NO passport cards or other forms of I.D. will be accepted) valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date, . . .  ".  I have no problem with renewing his Passport before we go, however, I am worried with the Government shut down, it will slow things down quite a bit.   Is this 6 month thing a rule with Royal Caribbean, such that he won't be able to get off the ship in Cuba?  Has anyone been successful in getting off the ship in Cuba with a Passport that expires prior to 6 months?  TIA

Just a note that if his passport isn't valid for the sailing he won't be allowed to board at all, it's not a matter of not going ashore in port. Since the Passport arm of the State Department is funded by the fees they collect for their product the shutdown shouldn't impact their services.