The South American and Antarctic experience on the Zaandam

scubacruiserx2

17 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Our day at sea was fairly routine but we noticed that it was getting warmer and the sea was a different color.

It was amazing how the sea color changed as we got on the continental shelf and the water was much shallower.

Great photos. I won't even have to look at ours, just point everyone to your show.

Thank you!

36 minutes ago, GeoNomad said:

It was amazing how the sea color changed as we got on the continental shelf and the water was much shallower.

Great photos. I won't even have to look at ours, just point everyone to your show.

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing the reason for the change and the nice compliment . We're sure that you had some different adventures and great photos  , so please feel free to share them . :classic_smile: :classic_biggrin:

Edited by scubacruiserx2

47 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Here come the sun in Puerto Madryn

DSC05080_zpsyml7ifd2.jpg

IMG_7247_zpsrgukewr5.jpg

IMG_7249_zpsd8fhegy1.jpg

Video clip :

IMG_7253_zpssjd0spxq.jpg

IMG_7280_zps1c0wnuhk.jpg

DSC05090_zpsqlq5cxz0.jpg

DSC05095_zpst3pn1qsv.jpg

Welcome to Puerto Madryn

WOW amazing sunrise!!!  I must remember to be up at sunrise on our trip.  In following weather for SA, Puerto Madryn was always the hottest and driest.  Was it?

18 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

WOW amazing sunrise!!!  I must remember to be up at sunrise on our trip.  In following weather for SA, Puerto Madryn was always the hottest and driest.  Was it?

It really was a very nice sunrise . It was definitely the driest but when we hit Montevideo it was 84 and humid and our 3rd day in BA it was 86 and humid . A big change in a few days .

Hi, scuba - Thanks for taking us along on this great write-up of your cruise! As a little bit of a behind-the-scenes curiosity, hope you don't mind an ask on what you do with your photos. I imagine there are a lot of images to go through and choose from; are you having to post-process/edit as you go along? Do you have a usual post-cruise workflow at this point?

And wow, that Puerto Madryn... and Stanley... have really enjoyed re-living some of the sights! (We were on the Star Princess in the same timeframe.) That color when going over the continental shelf... simply unreal.

57 minutes ago, Crewbie said:

Hi, scuba - Thanks for taking us along on this great write-up of your cruise! As a little bit of a behind-the-scenes curiosity, hope you don't mind an ask on what you do with your photos. I imagine there are a lot of images to go through and choose from; are you having to post-process/edit as you go along? Do you have a usual post-cruise workflow at this point?

And wow, that Puerto Madryn... and Stanley... have really enjoyed re-living some of the sights! (We were on the Star Princess in the same timeframe.) That color when going over the continental shelf... simply unreal.

Thank you Crewbie , we're glad that you joined us . We took lots of photos with different settings and look at them after we get home . We pick out the ones we like best to download on the desktop and minimal editing. We've been dividing time between this and working on our next cruise .

On 2/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

We return to Stanley about 3 pm and drove past a number of the sites like this whale gun and skeleton

DSC04969_zpshiu4qfho.jpg

We had about an hour before the last tender and wanted to walk a little so we thanked Kurt for a job well done and  said goodbye .

DSC04980_zpslx1f82hr.jpg

Christ Church Cathedral

DSC04982_zpsd61hrrpx.jpg

and it's whalebone arch

IMG_9426%201_zpsytpcw5qz.jpg

We wanted to have a pint and some fish and chips but we didn't think that we would have time

DSC04996_zpsopztci6r.jpg

We did pick up a few things for the grandsons and didn't realize that we gave Pounds Sterling and received Falkland Islands Pounds

DSC05783_zpsidmptqjx.jpg

You can see that Christ Church , King penguins and sheep appear on the currency

IMG_5111_zpszwqlsvkk.jpg

Both denominations photos are the same fore and aft but the color is different

IMG_5370_zpsmimscoca.jpg

Good to see that you got the chance for a look around Stanley.  Late last year BBC carried a TV programme called “An Island Parish” which followed the local bishop coming to the end of his time in the Falkland Islands. I felt that it gave a great feel for the day to day Iives of the locals.  There were six 30 minute programmes as I recall.  Don’t know whether they ended up on YouTube or not, but they’d be worth a look if you’re interested.

They had a ramp next to the pier for us to descend

IMG_9453_zps8qg6n6vc.jpg

Our guide Max met us at the small building on the pier and gave us a map . We were headed South to Punta Tombo .

DSC05165_zps0nkoz1c8.jpg

We needed to walk to the end of the pier where the van was . It's a long walk ! We did stop in the parking lot for a fluke photo of the both of us .

DSC05109_zpsx2rka9kh.jpg

We made a beeline for the park about 2 hours away and only stopped for a couple wildlife photos

DSC05115_zpsslzaaxlk.jpg

DSC05112_zpsinms3cog.jpg

33 minutes ago, caneable said:

Good to see that you got the chance for a look around Stanley.  Late last year BBC carried a TV programme called “An Island Parish” which followed the local bishop coming to the end of his time in the Falkland Islands. I felt that it gave a great feel for the day to day Iives of the locals.  There were six 30 minute programmes as I recall.  Don’t know whether they ended up on YouTube or not, but they’d be worth a look if you’re interested.

Yeah , that sounds good . Because of the long trip to VP we didn't have any time to soak up the local culture .

2 minutes ago, caneable said:

Stanley.

With a guide we really didn't for one , but I googled it and it shows one on the main street between the tender landing and Christ Church .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Falkland+Islands+Tourist+Board/@-51.6922104,-57.8563489,3a,75y/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMdUCe9tbwuUMf9TXeWxi9Ahul6XOKFR6YTRrZ9!2e10!3e12!6shttp

13 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

With a guide we really didn't for one , but I googled it and it shows one on the main street between the tender landing and Christ Church .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Falkland+Islands+Tourist+Board/@-51.6922104,-57.8563489,3a,75y/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMdUCe9tbwuUMf9TXeWxi9Ahul6XOKFR6YTRrZ9!2e10!3e12!6shttp

Great! I’m doing the Volunteer Point Trip with Estancia but Joan has pulled out as she has had serious back pain issues recently and figures the off road section could set things off and wreck the rest of the cruise for us.  So she’s just planning to have a look around locally.

8 minutes ago, caneable said:

Great! I’m doing the Volunteer Point Trip with Estancia but Joan has pulled out as she has had serious back pain issues recently and figures the off road section could set things off and wreck the rest of the cruise for us.  So she’s just planning to have a look around locally.

Were sorry that Joan can't make it and hope that she gets better soon . We hope that you both have a good visit .

52 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

There's a Visitor Information Centre right by the tender port. We were on the cruise with you, but went to Bluff Coves on the Falklands instead.

DSCN3645a.JPG

24 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you for the information and photo . :classic_biggrin::classic_smile:

It's been our pleasure to see all your photos and relive our own cruise experience through YOUR eyes. I took over 3500 photos and videos but, I daresay, only a very few can match the quality of yours.

Also, I'm a novice poster on here, so pardon me for submitting the photo in response to YOUR response; I had intended it to be in response to caneable's inquiry. But I see it got to the rightful destination just the same.

Edited by Manfred B