The South American and Antarctic experience on the Zaandam

scubacruiserx2

The sea was so bumpy at dinner that the ice bucket for our wine fell over spilling the uncorked half - full wine bottle . They gave us a new bottle which we took up to our room .

DSC04921_zps7g1p7fy9.jpg

We weren't sure if we would be able to make port in the morning

DSC04919_zpsoggs3hrq.jpg

but we went to bed dreaming of exotic animals .

DSC04910_zpsgnhq0oi0.jpg

DSC04912_zpsuai0epbg.jpg

After coming ashore we met our guide and driver , Kurt , from Estancia Excursions .

DSC04933_zpsiiedmcsb.jpg

DSC04970_zpsxxplq7fb.jpg

http://estancia-excursions.com/tour/volunteer-point/

It's about 2 1/2 hours over pavement , gravel and off road for abot 12 miles to see the penguins at Volunteer Point , so buckle in and hold on .

DSC04936_zpsjbffbqai.jpg

DSC04939_zpso2taydil.jpg

DSC04941_zpss5vogvbo.jpg

DSC04942_zpsjf1hase6.jpg

On the ranch and time to go off road

DSC04948_zps20dv7m72.jpg

Video clip :

We can see the water , almost there

DSC04951_zpsurblq7nk.jpg

We made it ahead of the crowds .

IMG_9343_zpst8id9ml7.jpg

The penguin's behavior was both amusing and amazing

Snoozing

IMG_4876_zpsywhvbsoe.jpg

Flapping

IMG_4881_zpsia3coouh.jpg

Scratching

IMG_4885%202_zpsbs5k13ph.jpg

Snuggling

IMG_4887_zpsih2vfmyv.jpg

Waiting for a bus

IMG_4909_zpsplo7jazp.jpg

Crowing

IMG_4942_zps878gaypd.jpg

And posing

IMG_4955_zpsitolic92.jpg

Video clip of  a penguin pair waddling through the crowd  :

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful penguin photos and videos. It looks like you had good weather for your day. Volunteer Point is my all time favourite excursion I have been on. 

You're welcome , we're glad that you like them . We had great light and a great day on our visit there and wished that we could have stayed longer .

We didn't bring our winter jackets and with the wind , chill and a little rain we decided to head back toward the car 

IMG_9408_zps7iczzsiz.jpg

we took a little detour toward the beach

IMG_9413_zpsthhgczng.jpg

a few other birds near there

IMG_5481_zpsykpultsk.jpg

IMG_5469_zpshl9flfia.jpg

IMG_5489_zpsmwgtyiul.jpg

a pit stop

IMG_9421_zpsy777tx9q.jpg

This was affixed to the ladies room . It says that King penguins can dive almost 1000' (300 M) deep

IMG_9423_zps7xxpn7yi.jpg

After warming in the car we had a bite to eat before paying Nyree our fee in British Pounds . There are no ATMs on the island so we brought it with us . We decided to return more scenic route with another vehicle along for safety .

DSC07426_zpsih9pufcq.jpg

We requested a photo stop here and the ground was a bit soft

DSC04958_zpsgp5ffxpf.jpg

This is a good reason not to DIY  , by yourself here

DSC04960_zpssjkn6fch.jpg

When the 2nd vehicle tried to pull the car out , he also became stuck . 

DSC04961_zpsl64ujruk.jpg

We threw a line to them and Kurt pulled them right out . Good job Kurt !

Another photo stop

DSC04962_zpsns6fmybi.jpg

It was beginning to look familiar now

DSC04963_zpszndefilp.jpg

DSC04964_zpscdsxdksc.jpg

We return to Stanley about 3 pm and drove past a number of the sites like this whale gun and skeleton

DSC04969_zpshiu4qfho.jpg

We had about an hour before the last tender and wanted to walk a little so we thanked Kurt for a job well done and  said goodbye .

DSC04980_zpslx1f82hr.jpg

Christ Church Cathedral

DSC04982_zpsd61hrrpx.jpg

and it's whalebone arch

IMG_9426%201_zpsytpcw5qz.jpg

We wanted to have a pint and some fish and chips but we didn't think that we would have time

DSC04996_zpsopztci6r.jpg

We did pick up a few things for the grandsons and didn't realize that we gave Pounds Sterling and received Falkland Islands Pounds

DSC05783_zpsidmptqjx.jpg

You can see that Christ Church , King penguins and sheep appear on the currency

IMG_5111_zpszwqlsvkk.jpg

Both denominations photos are the same fore and aft but the color is different

IMG_5370_zpsmimscoca.jpg

43 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We return to Stanley about 3 pm and drove past a number of the sites like this whale gun and skeleton

DSC04969_zpshiu4qfho.jpg

We had about an hour before the last tender and wanted to walk a little so we thanked Kurt for a job well done and  said goodbye .

DSC04980_zpslx1f82hr.jpg

Christ Church Cathedral

DSC04982_zpsd61hrrpx.jpg

and it's whalebone arch

IMG_9426%201_zpsytpcw5qz.jpg

We wanted to have a pint and some fish and chips but we didn't think that we would have time

DSC04996_zpsopztci6r.jpg

We did pick up a few things for the grandsons and didn't realize that we gave Pounds Sterling and received Falkland Islands Pounds

DSC05783_zpsidmptqjx.jpg

You can see that Christ Church , King penguins and sheep appear on the currency

IMG_5111_zpszwqlsvkk.jpg

Both denominations photos are the same fore and aft but the color is different

IMG_5370_zpsmimscoca.jpg

In Scotland if you give British Pounds you get change in Scottish Pounds which are not traded or exchanged in England...only Scotland.

How many hours did you have on shore in the Falklands?  Was it worth the long drive to Volunteer Point.  Did you have four persons in your vehicle?   Was the driver also an informative guide?

Thanks so much.  I can't wait until we have pictures of our own in a year.

27 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

In Scotland if you give British Pounds you get change in Scottish Pounds which are not traded or exchanged in England...only Scotland.

How many hours did you have on shore in the Falklands?  Was it worth the long drive to Volunteer Point.  Did you have four persons in your vehicle?   Was the driver also an informative guide?

Thanks so much.  I can't wait until we have pictures of our own in a year.

We haven't been to Scotland yet but we did visit some friends in the Isle Of Man and it was the same with their currency .

b371fc8c-7161-4062-a2e3-261543beb54f_zps

Almost 8 hours spent on the shore and we thought that it was worth the trip to VP where we spent about 2 hours . Yes , there was another couple that we met , 3 people in the rear seat and 2 up front . Yes , Kurt is native born and shared his recollection of when he was in school and the invasion occurred in 1982 . He and the other children were separated from their families for several months .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_invasion_of_the_Falkland_Islands

Yes there is nothing like actually being there . Our best photos and videos spur our memories and can be shared and used to try to help others .

• Like 1

Joe and Pat, you have always done great photo reviews, but I think you've outdone yourselves with this one! I'm finally caught up with reading the narrative and seeing the stills. I have the videos saved to be viewed later because I couldn't stop reading long enough to watch the videos!  The penguins, the whales, the amazingly beautiful scenery all had me riveted to my tablet screen!

I couldn't believe all the cruise ship traffic you encountered! I never would have thought you'd have to jostle for position with other cruise ships in order to view penguin colonies or icebergs!

I can hardly wait to see more!

Edited by perfect match

3 hours ago, perfect match said:

Joe and Pat, you have always done great photo reviews, but I think you've outdone yourselves with this one! I'm finally caught up with reading the narrative and seeing the stills. I have the videos saved to be viewed later because I couldn't stop reading long enough to watch the videos!  The penguins, the whales, the amazingly beautiful scenery all had me riveted to my tablet screen!

I couldn't believe all the cruise ship traffic you encountered! I never would have thought you'd have to jostle for position with other cruise ships in order to view penguin colonies or icebergs!

I can hardly wait to see more!

Well hello Nancy and Barry , it's always nice to hear from you . We also looked at the Seabourne Quest where we could make landings . It would have cost about the same but some knee issues came up , so we were thrilled to go on HAL . To surprise Pat for Valentines Day , we booked a last minute aft balcony on the Nieuw Statendam going on Sunday , so we're excited .