need help with large group

camreesmom

Our family of 10 cruise has grown to include some extended family members and lots of friends. We're looking to book at least 10 cabins for the Ecstasy next July. I'm not sure what is the best way to do this. Can I book as a group? If so, do I understand correctly that then we are not eligible for any price drops? Do I have to book a group through Carnival? Not even sure that I'm allowed to be asking all of these questions on this board but I figured that someone would be sure to let me know if I'm not. What would be the benefits of booking as a group vs. booking individually and then linking our reservation numbers together for dining assignments? I would really appreciate any advice some of you more experienced cruisers could give me.

thanks - Julie

Fantasy 12/03

Splendour of the Seas 3/04

Ecstasy 7/05

I've done what you're doing and all I can say is RUN,,,RUN as fast as you can to a TA and let them do ALL the work.....

Guaranteed that YOU will NOT be able to make everyone happy. Some of these friends will turn on you in a heartbeat.

Shop around on-line and at brick-n-mortor agencies, and find someone who you like, feel comfortable with, is happy to answer ALL your questions, and YES someone who gives you a price you can work with. "CHEAPEST IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER".

Definatly book as a "group". The incentives are better. But book SOON. The ships will fill up fast.

You need 8 cabins for a group.

even if you start with carnival, you need to move the booking to a travel agent.

groups usually get a couple of perks, like the use of one of the bars for an hour or so for a group get together during the cruise. and maybe an upgrade.

when I did it...the price dropped but we did Not get an adjustment. don't know if that was because we were a group or not.

It is nice to know that they will usually try to put all the cabins together for a group.

I had a family group of 22, the first night I snuck around and decorated all the doors with stuff I bought at a party store.

I did a group cruise through a TA. She gave us a lower rate at the last minute when the price dropped. Actually, we paid the full price, then she rebated us the savings. For every eight cabins booked, you get the cost of a cruise (no taxes or port fees) for free. I divided that savings among the group to lower the fees. You need a fairly large group before you get any cocktail hours other than what the ship normally has.

Dick

"To Sea or Not To Sea"

~~^~~Sea Ya!~~^~~

Destiny 02-28-99

Victory 02-24-01

Conquest 02-09-03

Doing a group is alot of fun.

I have done 4 of them now and they keep growing on me.. My first was 25 people and my last this year on the Conquest was 78!!!

First your on a older ship which means most likely your getting inside rooms. RIGHT?

Make sure who ever you go to that all your rooms are side by side. Thats a must with a group like yours.

Second if your ta does not matter if its Carnival or a ta they will give you a choice of what your group has coming to them.

Its now a point system. Each sailing offers diffent point for each ship. Then you can decided what you want your group to have.

You can give them a 1 hour drinking party, Or a ship board credit, one for 15 free. etc.

So you have many choices to make.. Its fun.

We are already planning another cruise with this bunch of family and friends.

If you have any questions... Ask away..

Good Luck.

Deb

Destiny 1998

Truimph 2001

Destiny 2003

Disneyworld 2003

Conquest 2004

I have LOTS of questions and I'm sure that I will have even more the further that I get into this. I know that I'm not going to be able to make everyone happy. I'm mainly worried about my immediate family (DH and our 8 kids and my mom). Other than that, I've told everyone else not to expect us all to do everything together. That would never work.

If I book us as a group, do we all have to put our deposits down at the same time? Will the other people be able to talk to Carnival or the TA or will everything have to go through me as the coordinator?

Yes, we are getting inside rooms. I know that the Ecstasy is one of the older ships. Our first cruise was on the Fantasy and we had a blast. This will be most everyone's first cruise except for mine and my husbands and one other couple. None of the kids have ever cruised.

Am I allowed to ask for TA recommendations on the boards? We were not happy with the one in our small area when we booked our Dec cruise last year.

Thanks again for everyone's help! This may be a long learning process for me!

Julie

Fantasy 12/03

Splendour of the Seas 3/04

Ecstasy 7/05

Archived