Bio bay

shoprat48092

This place is pretty far away in Fajardo and unless the ship offers something for this, I wouldn't risk it. We have stayed on the island and rented a car and stayed in a hotel near by there. It's a bit of a drive to get there and then the time it takes to do the boat tour is quite a while. When we went, it was very hard to see the dinoflagellates and they had tarps we put over the boat and water to try to see them and it was still hard. I had read, prior to going, that they left the area after a big storm and they have been slowly coming back over the years. Also, you have to go at a certain time (new moon is the best time from what I have read) or when there's cloud cover or hardly a moon. The darker the better. Also, the tour we took was complaining the the lights in the city nearby are also causing problems seeing them. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, I will be going on the seaside

which is docked from 5pm -1am so I figured the time would be good. I also booked for the closest to the new moon.  Only things I wasn't sure about was the distance from the port, is their a closer bio bay to the port that would be more viable or should I look for an alternative plan?

37 minutes ago, shoprat48092 said:

Thanks for the reply, I will be going on the seaside

which is docked from 5pm -1am so I figured the time would be good. I also booked for the closest to the new moon.  Only things I wasn't sure about was the distance from the port, is their a closer bio bay to the port that would be more viable or should I look for an alternative plan?

The one next to Fajardo is the closest one- the next closest is just west of Ponce, roughly 2 hours from San Juan, and the other is on the island of Vieques.  Which can be close, if you fly over to it.

It's worth the trip out there.  Just not sure which tour you should take- one you drive there for, or one you take from the ship...

I’m from Puerto Rico and I would recommend taking an organized excursion. I don’t think driving out there at night, not knowning exactly where to go is smart. It’s easy to get lost. If you were on a land vacation without time constraints, I’d tell you to rent a car and make an adventure out of it. Worse case scenario you get lost and stop at one of the road side kiosks for local food and a beer. But having such a tight time frame, this may not be a great idea. 

My cousin took her theee young daughters there over the Christmas break and she said that it was absolutely amazing, and that it’s actually brighter now than it was before the hurricane. As devastating as the hurricane was, in a way it’s been beneficial for nature. Seems like many places have regenerated more beautiful than they were before the hurricane. A beach close to my hometown which I’ve frequented since I was a small child used to be narrow, with considerable amounts of algae close to shore. But now the beach is more beautiful. wider, and there’s pure sand where the algae used to be. I kept noticing similar scenarios as I drove around the island. In a way, some places look better now than they did before the hurricane. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 8:59 AM, Bossladyn said:

Tapi do you know which tour they took?  Will be there in a month and would like to do this. 

They went on their own. They drove themselves. Its not hard to do as long as you have the time.

Edited by Tapi