Yellow Fever

Lunenburg

Don't want to sound alarmist but the newspaper here had an article yesterday that they upped the risk for yellow fever in Uruguay to "imminent risk".  It appears to be spreading faster in Brazil  - Rio and Sao Paulo have outbreaks, and they say there is no reason it won't cross the border especially as at this time of year there are many Brazilian tourists here.

If you are thinking of getting the vaccination, it might be a good time as they are predicting a shortage again - down here any way.  I read that some cruiselines are  requesting proof of vaccination for cruises going to Brazil,  Crystal is one.

• Like 1

I leave for my South American cruise in one week...Rio to Buenos Aires. We were told that we are *required* to get a yellow fever vaccination. I had a heck of a time finding one - I managed to get one at a Passport Health clinic an hour away, and it cost me $300. But given the increased risk, I think it was money well spent. Plus, this version of the vaccination is now lifetime protection.

In the UK it’s advised that those over 60 (that includes me) shouldn’t have the yellow fever vaccination due to increased risk. Within the last few days a prominent oncologist died from complications resulting from a yellow fever vaccination.

Yes, I saw that as well shortly after we both had the shots!  We are both over 65 but had no side effects.

You can get an exemption certificate saying you are unable to have the vaccine if you prefer. Here they only give the certificate for the length of your trip so each time you need one, you have to go back and get a new one.

They say there have been less than 100 confirmed deaths from the vaccine since it was introduced in 1936 but over 30,000 deaths from yellow fever each year. They are still checking on Dr. Gore to be certain he did not die from other causes.

8 hours ago, Lunenburg said:

Yes, I saw that as well shortly after we both had the shots!  We are both over 65 but had no side effects.

You can get an exemption certificate saying you are unable to have the vaccine if you prefer. Here they only give the certificate for the length of your trip so each time you need one, you have to go back and get a new one.

They say there have been less than 100 confirmed deaths from the vaccine since it was introduced in 1936 but over 30,000 deaths from yellow fever each year. They are still checking on Dr. Gore to be certain he did not die from other causes.

Interesting - sounds like a money making scheme to me. The World Health Organistation has now said that the Yellow Fever Vaccine lasts for life, no matter when you were given it.

Lunenburg  do you know whether any of the countries would deny entrance if you don't have the certificate?

I am going to phone Costa today to see whether they want us to have it(I am not keen and though I actually work at a yellow fever centre, it's expensive). Did not even manage to get round to having my flu jab this year!

Riana

2 hours ago, alicat58 said:

Lunenburg  do you know whether any of the countries would deny entrance if you don't have the certificate?

Here are country requirements. https://www.who.int/ith/ITH_country_list.pdf

None down here require it to enter. it is more the countries you might be going back to.  For instance, someone was refused boarding a flight to Costa Rica as he was coming from Brazil. 

I think cruiselines are getting stricter about having the certificate as they do not want a potentially ill passenger on the cruise. 

Thanks.

I had a look at the website and UK gov guidelines. Costa just told me my responsibility so they do not require a certificate from us to board.

It is unlikely that we would be out dawn/dusk time when the mozzies are active. We have one overnight but I think we'll not go ashore for a meal anyway.

I looked at the "falls" LeeAnn mentioned and it looks as if there are killer mozzies there. Unfortunately not keen on being eaten alive. I read that you should use Citronella oil and smother yourself in the stuff. Oh joy, the smell must be to die for.

Riana

On 1/15/2019 at 12:21 PM, Leejnd4 said:

I leave for my South American cruise in one week...Rio to Buenos Aires. We were told that we are *required* to get a yellow fever vaccination. I had a heck of a time finding one - I managed to get one at a Passport Health clinic an hour away, and it cost me $300. But given the increased risk, I think it was money well spent. Plus, this version of the vaccination is now lifetime protection.

Yikes!

I am glad our healthplan covers all our shots! No copay at all for either of us.

We're in the LA as well.

We visited the clinic yesterday and along with the nurse decided the risk of yellow fever was less than that

of being immunised. We will cover ourselves in a deet mosquito repellent and hope for the best. We have exemption certificates.

We're also in Gloucester and told the same. More of a risk of side effects from vaccination due to age and minor existing conditions. Going for Mmr booster next week so will ask about exemption certificates.  We will be going armed with plenty of deet, bands and long sleeves! 

Exemption certificates are not necessarily an official substitiute for the vaccine and may not be accepted in all situations.

The mosquito that carries yellow fever is most active during the day and tends to bite from behind so is not always noticed.

If this is your only visit to a yellow fever area then the risk is probably quite low. We are going to Brazil for the third time in a few weeks and then have a cruise stopping in three spots in Brazil in November so we had the shots with no side effects. 

I also looked carefully again at having the jabs and decided not to have them. None of the countries websites currently state that it is an absolute requirement. We also looked at the WHO and they did not state an issue on any of the coastal cities we are stopping at. It is odd that these mozzies are daytime creatures though. Like sueu I bought DEET spray and will probably carry it with me and re-apply when we are outside of the cities. 

Now I need to start deciding what we are going to do at all these places because it is 4 weeks and 1 day till cruise day. Soooo excited.

Riana