First time to Tortola

1025cruise

My cruise has recently swapped ports from Punta Cana to Tortola (a better option, IMHO). With that said, they are still loading shore excursions, so I'm not quite sure what the options are to do in Tortola.

So, what would the experts recommend? Just to point out, we aren't huge fans of water activities, and IMHO a beach day is equivalent to stabbing by 500 knives. I've heard the Baths are a must do, but is it something that can be enjoyed if one doesn't snorkel?

Thanks.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, 1025cruise said:

My cruise has recently swapped ports from Punta Cana to Tortola (a better option, IMHO). With that said, they are still loading shore excursions, so I'm not quite sure what the options are to do in Tortola.

So, what would the experts recommend? Just to point out, we aren't huge fans of water activities, and IMHO a beach day is equivalent to stabbing by 500 knives. I've heard the Baths are a must do, but is it something that can be enjoyed if one doesn't snorkel?

Thanks.

I have to say, with your opinion of what a day at the beach is, it is very surprising that you are on a Caribbean cruise! We’re you dragged, kicking and screaming? :classic_blink:

But yes, the Baths are a unique experience and does not require snorkeling (or enjoying Devil’s Bay Beach after).

If you decide it’s not worth the time or effort you can take an island tour, Tortola is gorgeous! Drivers at the pier offer shared safari taxi tours at very reasonable prices, or you can hire a private driver like A. C. 

You can can find tons of great info just by reading other threads in this forum that may interest you then come back with any questions...

On 1/14/2019 at 8:51 PM, Abm234b said:

We will be heading there for the first time as well and looking for things to do. 

Please read the many threads here for ideas, and if you have questions will be happy to answer those! 🙂

I still like seeing other places, and appreciating other cultures. Unfortunately, if I do beach, I start to do a good impression of a cooked lobster, so I tend to avoid it. Plus, if all I'm going to do is lounge and relax, I can do that on the ship, where it will be quieter, and I have an unlimited drink package 🙂

But, thanks for the info on the Baths. While not a water sports person, I do appreciate interesting rock formations, etc, and am an amateur photographer, so glad it wouldn't be too much of a waste.

18 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I still like seeing other places, and appreciating other cultures. Unfortunately, if I do beach, I start to do a good impression of a cooked lobster, so I tend to avoid it. Plus, if all I'm going to do is lounge and relax, I can do that on the ship, where it will be quieter, and I have an unlimited drink package 🙂

But, thanks for the info on the Baths. While not a water sports person, I do appreciate interesting rock formations, etc, and am an amateur photographer, so glad it wouldn't be too much of a waste.

Yes good point on experiencing other cultures, and cruising is a great way to experience different places. 

The Baths would be a good choice I think, and going on your own is very easy and removes you from some of the crowd and queues, but not all unfortunately. The day involves a 10 minute walk to the ferry, a 30 minute ferry to Virgin Gorda marina, and a 5 minute taxi to the Top of the Baths where there is a restaurant and a wading pool. You walk down a natural path (there are 2) to the beach and make your way through the boulders to another beach and another path to head back up. Since you don't care about spending time on the beach I would walk over to Spring Bay to see that area as well, the staff at the Top can direct you. The taxi will drop you back at the ferry dock, or you can get dropped at Spanishtown and have a bite at the Baths & Turtle and walk to the ferry. I would have the driver give you a view of Savannah Bay enroute to the Baths or on the return, gorgeous view.

You can ask a driver to work with you by dropping you and picking you up at an agreed upon time to take you somewhere else if you want. If your port times allow, the driver can help you to avoid the biggest crowd at the Baths for the best experience by taking you to other areas like Savannah while the biggest crowd goes through the Baths. Just something to think about...You can also use the two different ferries to maximize your time on VG, again this depends on your time in port.

Otherwise a tour of Tortola provides stunning panoramic views of the bays and other islands. If you hire a private driver like A.C's taxi I would make a point of stopping at the Heritage Inn/Bananakeet Restaurant on Windy Hill Rd for the spectacular view of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays as well as Jost, Sandy Spit, and STJ...

Edited by blue_water