Table for 5

babe97

My husband and I will be traveling with 3 other adult family members. I linked our bookings so we will be seated together for dinner. Was just wondering from others experience, what size table will we be seated at? I really hate those giant round tables that seat like 10 people. It's so hard to have a conversation with others so far away, plus my husband has slight hearing loss so it's extra difficult for him. Any chance we'll be seated at a smaller table? 

If you have main or late seating you can be placed at a table with other people or you can luck out and be at a table that can accommodate 6 people but most likely you be at a larger table with other people.  Your best bet is to get anytime/mytime dining when you go to the dining room you can ask for a table for 5 people only.  Thats why we get anytime/mytime dining to avoid sitting at large tables because from past experienced we sat with people who were not nice, who were very loud, had crying children or who didn't speak English...never again.

You can contact John Heald the week prior to your sailing and give him your request.  Have the sailing dates, booking numbers and cabin numbers handy.

Then check when you board.  If it's still not right see the Maitre d to re-request

Edited by summersigh

• 4 weeks later...

I just wrote a blog post about this I thought I'd share.  We've never had a problem on any line getting a private table.  You just have to communicate your needs early on and they will try their best to accommodate.  Here are my tips by cruise line:

https://profcruise.com/how-do-i-request-a-private-table-in-the-mdr/

We had a table that was for 6. It was nice to have an extra chair/more elbow room and table space for multiple plates. We had requested it in advance. We had set dining, but were assigned to the ATD room, but we also had an allergy in our group. 

We emailed John before our cruise with our three children. We requested a table for 5 since we were going to have the kids and thought it was best to not be sat with other guests. They put us at a table for four with an extra chair slid in. It was so crowded that one of children’s chairs touched the person at the table behind us chair. The dining staff couldn’t walk through that wall the entire week they had to go around. We also took a cruise with three people and requested a private table. They sat us at a table for two and slid a chair in on the side. Again it was very crowded. 

Five of us ladies cruised a few years ago and they put us in a booth with a chair at the end.  Not very comfortable especially for the lady on the end.  We took turns and each of us sat at the end one night.  Not a good set up for five grown women.  We asked if we could be moved to a more comfortable table and they said none were available.  Hope you have better luck than we did.

1 hour ago, Orlandorandall said:

We emailed John before our cruise with our three children. We requested a table for 5 since we were going to have the kids and thought it was best to not be sat with other guests. They put us at a table for four with an extra chair slid in. It was so crowded that one of children’s chairs touched the person at the table behind us chair. The dining staff couldn’t walk through that wall the entire week they had to go around. We also took a cruise with three people and requested a private table. They sat us at a table for two and slid a chair in on the side. Again it was very crowded. 

So sorry this was your experience.  The tables are small enough (especially with kids) without adding additional chairs!  Especially when I like to order two of everything (but where are we going to PUT it?).  Hopefully others have better luck.