Luggage Storage Question...

tootalltotango

I'll be on the Veendam in a couple weeks, and I'm planning on taking two pieces of luggage. Both look huge to me - 29". So, really, two questions:

1. Do I have to stow them in the cabin for the week? Or will the staff store them somewhere for me?

2. Has anyone had problems with this size on airlines? The "tag" says the measurements are within limits, but the thought of getting to the airport and being refused scares me to bits.

And before you think I'm taking everything I own, I must take great care in the sun, so I have to pack hats and parasols. LOLOLOLOL Great cruiser, eh?

29 incher works as long as the total LWH does not exceed 65 inches. Overweight is a different story. We took 5 pieces of checked luggage on a 35 day transatlantic. Leaving from Tulsa was no problem but flying home from NY, the skycap weighed the 5th piece and it was overweight, okay for International but not domestic. It's better to avoid overweight charges by putting some things in a carryon. $85 is no fun!

All our luggage fit under the bed, but on a long cruise your cabin steward will store the empties for you if you ask.

GN

I use a very large suitcase (don't know the inches) that is too high to fit under the bed closed; it fits fine open if the beds are separate. It can't slide under if it's open and the bed is made up as a double.

When I have a second suitcase---and can't fit them both---the steward is happy to store the large one and return it when it's time to pack:( . He even gets out the one under the bed:) !

Guest Celestia
We always take 4 pieces of luggage between us. Two of them are 29 inch. Have never had a problem storing them under the bed.

On Statendam, NONE of our four cases fit under our beds, (no, not even open, not designed that way) and the room steward flat-out REFUSED to take them to storage for us. The front desk repeatedly told us it would be 'taken care of' - it wasn't.

We were in an inside cabin, so we didn't expect tip-top white glove service, but even Princess took our suitcases to storage for us with a smile.

We spent the entire 15 days tripping over them in the cabin and bathroom (one of them did fit under the sink).

So if you have an inside less-expensive stateroom, you may end up living with them.

FW&FS,

Celestia

We were on Veendam last April, in a C-category room on the lower promenade. I mention that only to show that we were not in a suite with any special amenities or services.

We had four pieces of luggage betweent the two of us. The morning of the second day, after we had unpacked, our cabin steward removed two of the larger ones and stored them somewhere. The other two fit neatly under the bed. We didn't even have to ask.

On the last day, he returned the two pieces. It couldn't have been nicer.

When you get on board and have unpacked, ask your cabin steward to take them away.

Paul Noble

On Statendam, NONE of our four cases fit under our beds, and the room steward flat-out REFUSED to take them to storage for us.

We were in an inside cabin, so we didn't expect tip-top white glove service,....

So if you have an inside less-expensive stateroom, you may end up living with them.

I'm shocked to read that your steward was so uncooperative. It's not typical---of this I'm certain.

I always book an inside cabin in steerage (I've been reprimanded for using that word:rolleyes: ) and have always received top-notch service. And I'm quite sure it isn't because of my great beauty!:eek:

I do hope that one time was, well, one time.

We had three large pieces of luggage when we were in an inside cabin on the Veendam in Nov. 05. We stored one under the bed, which had been put together as one, one in the closet and the other wouldn't fit. We kept it in the cabin and used it actually like an end table and it was just fine. We were a little disappointed that our steward didn't offer to store it for us, but it worked out okay.

Guest Celestia
I'm shocked to read that your steward was so uncooperative. It's not typical---of this I'm certain.

I always book an inside cabin in steerage (I've been reprimanded for using that word:rolleyes: ) and have always received top-notch service. And I'm quite sure it isn't because of my great beauty!:eek:

I do hope that one time was, well, one time.

It has been my cruise partner's experience on all four of his HAL trips. Barely visible and when finally found, uncooperative, cabin staff. He had chalked it up to them thinking a single male passenger didn't need a lot of 'service', but the experience was no different with me along. We had to separate the beds *ourselves* in order to go to sleep - at midnight - after repeated requests to the front desk (we're friends, not a couple). Our cabin carpet was desperately in need of hoovering, as was our bathroom floor, the entire two weeks.

We book *inside steerage* on purpose and see nothing wrong with the terminology. It's what works for us. I was not impressed with HAL cabin service, although the cabin itself was *by far* the nicest inside cabin I've had anywhere.

FW&FS,

Celestia

Archived