Seasickness on the Royal Clipper

debsconner

I am thinking of taking a cruise in the Med in sept next year on the Royal Clipper . I am worried about being seasick as my partner has a phobia about people being sick .Has anyone has experience on the Royal Clipper at this time of year ?

Is it possible that the sea state may be bad at times in the Mediterranean in September? Yes, of course it’s possible but not usual.

Would it make me feel sick if so? Possibly, if you are sensitive to motion sickness.

But…in 13 cruises on the Star Clippers ships all around the world, I can only recall two evenings when the dining room was a little light in numbers because some people weren’t feeling like eating due to the motion of the sea. And, of course, there are very effective anti-sickness prophylactics available from your pharmacist to stop you feeling sick in the first place.  

On the rare occasions when I have felt a little queasy, I find that getting reasonably horizontal sorts the problem out, be it on the bed in my cabin or on a sun bed on deck.

• 2 years later...

I'm also concerned.  I've been on Azamara (750 passengers) in the Eastern Mediterranean.  On the 5th date I began to felt dizzy.  I finished the cruise (7 days total), getting medication from the commissary.  I don't remember much about it.  I'm just wondering how sick people can become and wehther they have to in that case interrupt their cruise and go to port.

We had a few that were seasick on our trip, but I can't imagine a situation (other than hurricane) that would lead to stopping the cruise & going ashore.

On our full day at sea in Greece, there was a storm with some large winds.  Our ship was listed to one side enough that the portholes of the dining room were under water while the other side pointed at the sky.  I thought it was eliciting, but there were a few green faces!  All recovered in a day or less.

IMO, the steady rocking of the Clipper ships gets people accustomed to the motion quicker.  

But if you have any doubts, put on the scopolamine patch before boarding.  If you wait until you're sea sick, it's too late & recovery will take longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking it is not prudent to consider Star Clippers where passengers are either prone to sea sickness or a phobia of others being similarly ill.

On my first cruise with Star Clippers the bed was moving vertically at least a metre on each wave with a crash of waves hitting the bow.

Regards John