Live From the Breakaway!

Lovetotravel7559

So far this has been a great cruise at a wonderful price.  I was apprehensive after reading a lot of criticism about embarkation in New Orleans.  However we walked 4 blocks to the terminal about 9 am and dropped off our 1 large bag.  I would echo that there weren’t any signs.  We did a reconnaissance mission the night before and someone working near the Port told us the exact place to go ( drop luggage right before the rr tracks and then go across the tracks and turn right into the terminal).  Inside the terminal we waited about 15 minutes in a small area where we received a Boarding Group 1 pass as we passed through and on our way through security.  After security is where our passports were checked, our picture taken and our sea pass card was given to us.  We then went to a large waiting room where we were held about 1 hour and a half.  There is a separate waiting area for the Haven which we didn’t get.  Then all Group 1 were called (after the Haven and those folks in wheelchairs etc).  We hustled to Headliners  where I expected to purchase Vibe passes but of course this cruise did it from a desk at Guest Services.  We were handed tickets numbered 23 and 24 as we stood in line .  Yea!! Paid $318 for a 10 day pass!  After that we purchased the 8 bottles of the cheapest wine and they gave us 8 slips of paper which we will use when we want our wine. So far:  everything is clean and all personnel are helpful.  Buffet was great for dinner with prime rib.  Our room is tiny with a small amount of adequate storage.  No noise from above (we are directly below the Garden Buffet).  However I am able to hear voices and clothes on hangers being moved next door. No matter I used my earplugs. All public and private rooms are clean and we haven’t yet encountered any huge crowds other than right after the lifeboat drill.  We are again going to the buffet for seafood night as Taste and Savor didn’t have anything we particularly wanted for dinner.  Then going to try the Comedy show.  If anyone has questions I will try answer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lovetotravel7559 said:

So far this has been a great cruise at a wonderful price.  I was apprehensive after reading a lot of criticism about embarkation in New Orleans.  However we walked 4 blocks to the terminal about 9 am and dropped off our 1 large bag.  I would echo that there weren’t any signs.  We did a reconnaissance mission the night before and someone working near the Port told us the exact place to go ( drop luggage right before the rr tracks and then go across the tracks and turn right into the terminal).  Inside the terminal we waited about 15 minutes in a small area where we received a Boarding Group 1 pass as we passed through and on our way through security.  After security is where our passports were checked, our picture taken and our sea pass card was given to us.  We then went to a large waiting room where we were held about 1 hour and a half.  There is a separate waiting area for the Haven which we didn’t get.  Then all Group 1 were called (after the Haven and those folks in wheelchairs etc).  We hustled to Headliners  where I expected to purchase Vibe passes but of course this cruise did it from a desk at Guest Services.  We were handed tickets numbered 23 and 24 as we stood in line .  Yea!! Paid $318 for a 10 day pass!  After that we purchased the 8 bottles of the cheapest wine and they gave us 8 slips of paper which we will use when we want our wine. So far:  everything is clean and all personnel are helpful.  Buffet was great for dinner with prime rib.  Our room is tiny with a small amount of adequate storage.  No noise from above (we are directly below the Garden Buffet).  However I am able to hear voices and clothes on hangers being moved next door. No matter I used my earplugs. All public and private rooms are clean and we haven’t yet encountered any huge crowds other than right after the lifeboat drill.  We are again going to the buffet for seafood night as Taste and Savor didn’t have anything we particularly wanted for dinner.  Then going to try the Comedy show.  If anyone has questions I will try answer.  

Very helpful embarkation tips, thanks!  Who are the current bartenders in Vibe?

3 hours ago, Lovetotravel7559 said:

thx so much for all the info   we are all following along  excitedly  i copied and pasted this in my notes 🙂

2 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Thanks for doing this.  Will be getting on as you get off the ship.  Looking forward to hearing how seafood at buffet was.  Can't wait for rest or review.

Hi Jasonmom, seafood buffet was just fine.  Cold shrimp and mussels, salmon with spinach on a puff pastry.  The dining room didn’t have anything too seafoody except broiled hake.  

1 hour ago, Montanagirlalways said:

I board Breakaway 1/27 (Hopefully- if air travel is still going). Let me know what you think about Vibe. Have a great cruise!!!

You will be getting on as we get off!  For us Vibe has been worth it.  Today is a Cozumel port that we have seen many times so we are happily reading in the Vibe.  DH reports that the hot tub isn’t hot just warm.  We haven’t tried any of the others.  I agree with others on this board that there are plenty of chairs throughout the ship, so if you don’t get the passes it’s not the end of the world.  We do like it so far as there are nice thick pads on the loungers, our own bar, our own bathroom and a shower to cool off or to rinse off the chlorine.  Also it’s a small area so it is easy to find each other.  Very quiet and secluded.  No one trying to walk in front of us or in between our chairs.  I’m glad we got them. 

4 minutes ago, James_Elmore said:

What about drink prices did they go up above ubp?  As others are reporting.  Thanks for the review I'll be in her in March.

4 minutes ago, James_Elmore said:

What about drink prices did they go up above ubp?  As others are reporting.  Thanks for the review I'll be in her in March.

15 hours ago, Lovetotravel7559 said:

Hi I will try to find out.  

So far there has been Rain and Ando? As bartenders.  We didn’t get the beverage package but did purchase the least expensive wine package. It was $176 for 8 bottles.  I had thought about buying and bringing bottles onboard and paying the corkage fee but it didn’t make sense.  DH has had Diet Coke and rum and that drink was 10.50.  Last night I had a cosmopolitan and I think it  was the same.  We just figured an average of $10 per drink and I knew there is no way we would drink that much.  Hope this helps 

51 minutes ago, Lovetotravel7559 said:

You will be getting on as we get off!  For us Vibe has been worth it.  Today is a Cozumel port that we have seen many times so we are happily reading in the Vibe.  DH reports that the hot tub isn’t hot just warm.  We haven’t tried any of the others.  I agree with others on this board that there are plenty of chairs throughout the ship, so if you don’t get the passes it’s not the end of the world.  We do like it so far as there are nice thick pads on the loungers, our own bar, our own bathroom and a shower to cool off or to rinse off the chlorine.  Also it’s a small area so it is easy to find each other.  Very quiet and secluded.  No one trying to walk in front of us or in between our chairs.  I’m glad we got them. 

Thanks. We also like to relax on the ship when in port sometimes. I will try for the vibe. 

Hi, also currently on the Breakaway, hope you don't mind me tagging along. Last night when they had seafood night at the buffet they also had old sailor's basket at O'Sheenans, fried shrimp, fish and calamari with French fries and onion rings. Pretty good. The first 2 days O'Sheenans has a limited menu, today (Sat) they offered the full menu and tonight's special is bar-b-que and I think the buffet is Mexican. We arrived at the port at 10:30 and were on the ship by 11:30. But we had heard from other  people who arrived later ended up taking 2 to 2. 1/2 hours to get on the ship. 

6 hours ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

Hi, also currently on the Breakaway, hope you don't mind me tagging along. Last night when they had seafood night at the buffet they also had old sailor's basket at O'Sheenans, fried shrimp, fish and calamari with French fries and onion rings. Pretty good. The first 2 days O'Sheenans has a limited menu, today (Sat) they offered the full menu and tonight's special is bar-b-que and I think the buffet is Mexican. We arrived at the port at 10:30 and were on the ship by 11:30. But we had heard from other  people who arrived later ended up taking 2 to 2. 1/2 hours to get on the ship. 

Hi Sticardsfan79, love having someone else chime in. I definitely want to try both Margaritaville and Sheehans for breakfast.  Also haven’t made it to any of the main dining rooms yet!!  Too many yummy foods and not enough time. It sounds as if your embarkation went well, like ours.  The main reason we went as early as we did was to get Vibe passes and tweak our dining reservations 

13 hours ago, Lovetotravel7559 said:

Hi Sticardsfan79, love having someone else chime in. I definitely want to try both Margaritaville and Sheehans for breakfast.  Also haven’t made it to any of the main dining rooms yet!!  Too many yummy foods and not enough time. It sounds as if your embarkation went well, like ours.  The main reason we went as early as we did was to get Vibe passes and tweak our dining reservations 

Thanks! Yesterday in Cozumel we walked over to the Thirsty Cougar for some margaritas, I will post the picture 2 margaritas and chips and salsa $16, very reasonable. 

Last night we had Cagney's very good we were in and out in just over an hour but I heard the table next to us say they had been there for 3 hours. 

I use the Verizon travel pass when in port, it worked fine yesterday in Cozumel but today in Roatan it's not working for my data. There is a little stand where you can purchase wifi (see picture). This afternoon we will go early to find a good seat to watch the ballgames (Go Chiefs!) they are showing the games in the Atrium, Spice H2O and O'Sheenans. Hopefully it will be on the big screen at the Spice H2O, this area is aft 16th floor, big screen where they show movies, last night at 10:00 they showed Jurassic Park. A lot of lounge chairs besides other more comfortable chairs, large smoking area, 2 hot tubs, waterfall area and a bar. Tonight is also the eclipse so should be pretty neat. 

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Edited by Stlcardsfan79
Add picture
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

Thanks! Yesterday in Cozumel we walked over to the Thirsty Cougar for some margaritas, I will post the picture 2 margaritas and chips and salsa $16, very reasonable. 

Last night we had Cagney's very good we were in and out in just over an hour but I heard the table next to us say they had been there for 3 hours. 

I use the Verizon travel pass when in port, it worked fine yesterday in Cozumel but today in Roatan it's not working for my data. There is a little stand where you can purchase wifi (see picture). This afternoon we will go early to find a good seat to watch the ballgames (Go Chiefs!) they are showing the games in the Atrium, Spice H2O and O'Sheenans. Hopefully it will be on the big screen at the Spice H2O, this area is aft 16th floor, big screen where they show movies, last night at 10:00 they showed Jurassic Park. A lot of lounge chairs besides other more comfortable chairs, large smoking area, 2 hot tubs, waterfall area and a bar. Tonight is also the eclipse so should be pretty neat. 

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Yum!!! Carney’s looks great.  We ate at Le Bistro last night and it was great

31 minutes ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

Thank goodness for the fish on the carpet to follow, otherwise I would be going around in circles. 

Yes!! Although I thought the fish would swim in the public areas also.  Looks as if the rooms and some public areas have been recarpeted so maybe those have gone to the great aquarium in the sky.