Keeping Greenland (& environs) Green

Hi Daniel!

Welcome and thank you for taking time for questions today. These journeys of faraway places are the type that many adventurers imagine but until recently were extremely limited or virtually non-existent to anyone other than scientists or locals. It’s exciting to know these incredible places are now within reach. But not “bucket list” exciting....more like, Mount Everest exciting except you don’t need oxygen bottles! Although these cruises and Everest are truly exciting and bucket list qualifying depending upon what a certain person fancies! 🙂 

Speaking of Everest, you are aware of how oxygen bottles and trash accumulated on the mountain for years. I know the line has a strict policy of removing rubbish from ports or the ship....I guess I wasn’t exactly sure how that worked and wondered if you would share a bit more about it with us. I know guests and crew participate and it’s outstanding because it would enhance the feeling like everyone was really on a real expedition or voyage - something that probably also further sets the journey apart from other cruises.

Also, I think it’s exciting that a sustainably powered ship is coming into service next year! I know that with a large number of your cruisers already living in Norway or North Atlantic or European countries, the line wouldn’t have added these routes without being sure the environment was safe but it helps to know that when we take the trip, our footprint is minimal. 

Lastly, what has been one of your favorite experiences of visiting one of these “new frontiers” in ok, I’ll stick with Greenland as it’s kind of new, and to be honest it’s even turning up on Netflix. As a traveler (only four continents!) I yearn to hear stories of new people and places and dream of a voyage like one on the Fram. This is why we go places! (Yes ok family and Mickey Mouse too....!) 

Places like Faroe, Lofoten and so many others that are getting featured in either American television or press and so I think might be super appealing - Hurtigruten offers access and that’s exciting in a way like Aranui does in the South Pacific (maybe) and that’s very cool. I doubt anyone here would have thought to go surfing in Lofoten and yet there it was in The NY Times! 

Thank you for visiting with us Daniel! (Takk skal du ha) 

• 3 weeks later...

Takk for posten, @Host Bonjour(Thanks for the post!)

I love this enthusiasm, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Hurtigruten is the world’s most sustainable expedition cruise company; in fact, we like to think of our itineraries as unique experiences you can have while leaving a footprint you are proud of. In ports, we are always putting pressure on our land partners and vendors, to ensure the highest possible level of responsibility. At sea, we control even more of the operations ourselves, and our ultimate goal is to operate our ships free of emissions. By introducing the world’s first hybrid electric-powered expedition ships, we are taking large steps towards this goal; what's more, in the next few years, our fleet will consist mainly of these hybrid powered ships, as well as ships that are powered by both LNG and biogas.  

You can see that we're very excited about our new ships, and I’m glad to hear you are, as well! MS Roald Amundsen actually launches in a few months, her inaugural departure will be in May as she cruises through Europe, before we bring her down south for her first Antarctic season. MS Fridtjof Nansen will follow in 2020, and a third sister ship will come in 2021!

In terms of waste, we are very proud to be the first cruise company in the world to remove all unnecessary single-use plastic across our fleet. We’ve also reduced food waste substantially, and, we invite guests to engage in beach clean-up activities at a number of destinations. I would like to encourage you to read even more about our sustainability and responsibility commitment at hurtigruten.com/sustainability

Regarding Greenland, it is truly one of my personal favorite destinations; there's nothing like getting the opportunity to kayak in nature's pure surroundings. Thank you again, for your sincere enthusiasm about Hurtigruten!

Edited by Daniel Skjeldam
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Speaking of Greenland... do you (or will you) offer any itineraries that include heading to Disko Bay, and the icebergs there?

It's not like Antarctica, obviously, but it looks very interesting.  And it's much closer 🙂 

Thanks!

GC

As I have just booked a voyage to Greenland on Hurtigruten I can perhaps help in answering your question:

This year expedition ship "Fram" will be visiting Disko Bay and go up to Thule. A very exciting itinerary but not cheap...

We booked the new hybrid ship "Fridtjof Nansen" going to Disko Bay etc. in July/August 2020 and right now Hurtigruten is offering both early bird prices as well as hefty onboard credit. I don't know if this offer is available on the international site, though.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grayjay said:

As I have just booked a voyage to Greenland on Hurtigruten I can perhaps help in answering your question:

This year expedition ship "Fram" will be visiting Disko Bay and go up to Thule. A very exciting itinerary but not cheap...

We booked the new hybrid ship "Fridtjof Nansen" going to Disko Bay etc. in July/August 2020 and right now Hurtigruten is offering both early bird prices as well as hefty onboard credit. I don't know if this offer is available on the international site, though.

Thanks so much!

We stumbled across photos of Disko Bay while researching other destinations and ships.  It turned out that one (some?) of the old Russian science ships that now take tourists (remember the one stuck in the ice in Antarctica a few years ago?) also go to Greenland/Disko Bay.

But there is also a little ferry service that runs along that Eastern (mostly Southeastern?) coast all year.  In the summer, it goes further north, I think.  But this *IS* a "ferry" type service, and the cabins are very small, and there are more "bunk rooms" (with 4+ per room) and baths down the hall...  I think it's sort of what some people (DH included at first!) think Hurtigruten would be like! :classic_wink:  Hurtigruten really deserves a better "reputation", but there are, after all, still some older ships, and I'm not sure if everyone understands that, etc.  We did not, at first, until reading more here on CC...

Anyway, we are now thinking of taking that little ferry from Nuuk up to Ilulissat, as a mini-adventure, perhaps en route back home from a conference in Europe this summer.   

We've got the travel bug, and our "condition" is growing "worse" :classic_biggrin:

We are adding destinations much faster than we are checking off boxes.

We also want to go to Svalbard now, and - if possible - get to Antarctica (but I'm less sure of that for several reasons, alas).

We waited too long/late to get started with our traveling...

Thanks again.  We'll look into this before continuing with our potential current plans for a mini trip to Disko Bay!

It would be a longer, and much nicer trip with Hurtigruten!

GC     

• Thanks 1

Thank you Daniel for your kind words and further insight into what’s next regarding your new energy, new ships as well as your sincere fondness of Greenland. The commitment to removing single use plastic on board is a major step forward for any organization but especially in travel. It’s something to definitely seek out in decision making as we think of how and where we travel not just in ecologically sensitive areas but everywhere. Every place is home to someone. I’m excited about the opportunities and adventures offered by Hurtigruten and glad I am better informed about everything on offer now! There’s a lot to talk about and share with others on our forums and in real life to people looking for outstanding opportunities and experiences on the sea and land.

Thanks also to Grayjay and Geezer for contributing to the discussion as well, as always and I’m beyond thrilled (kinda envious too!!) that you’re both be cruising on Hurtigruten soon. You are in for incredible adventures and I can’t wait to hear your reports...with photos please?! These aren’t just trips, they’ll be unforgettable life changing experiences. Thrilled for you. 😊

Cheers!