Crystal cruise line thoughts

RMS Olympic

21 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

This is just the thread that I needed to read today....my partner and I just disembarked from Oceania Marina's NYC-Southampton yesterday.  We've been sailing with "O" since 2004, always in a PH or above, this time in a Vista, with a few other forays elsewhere including Silversea (what a difference a decade can make!), Sea Dream & Cunard.  

Up until this last cruise we've always felt comfortable amongst our fellow "O" passengers, one cruise on Regatta in 2012  consisted of 20-25% LGBT passengers, and all cruises until this last one have been with pleasant and well travelled people.  

Oceania, in their wisdom, had upsold lower grade cabins to passengers from sister line NCL, and a large university alumni group from less enlightened parts of the US - this changed the vibe on board considerably.  My partner & I are very unassuming and not at all flamboyant, yet every time we dined alone we were getting looks and whispered comments....we also saw blatant racism towards a very elegant black family, and a group of Colombian ladies.......the fact that the crew fussed over us "minority" regulars even more seemed to rile some of these cretins more.  Along with several other unresolved service issues we experienced on board, we're reassessing our 47 days worth of bookings next year, despite the wonderful itineraries.....maybe it's time to rethink.....

Barcelona to Quebec on Serenity looks really tempting next year, along with a couple of others.  Having read this thread and a few on the main Crystal board I think most of my questions have been answered, but if anyone can think of any hints and tips for a potential Crystal newbie, then thank you in advance!😀

We've loved Oceania for our last 2 cruises. We did see several gay couples & singles on board some were friendly some kept to themselves. The more "private" ones were European we noticed. We also did see a few unfriendly pax. One couple wouldn't sit with us this past Jan. in Jacques. They said it was too close to the door.(about 20ft away)Glad they did NOT sit with us. That being said it does not dissuade us at all from Oceania. Scheduling conflicts have us on Silhouette for 14 days next Jan. If the quality has dropped more than our 2017 Eclipse trip, then It's likely we'll be back on Oceania in 2021.

• Like 1