Taxi price confirmation - Cockleshell Beach

highlandmom

I've read so many reviews about so many beaches on our upcoming trip my head is spinning.Ā :classic_blink:

Ā 

Deciphering my notes, I think I've decided on Cockleshell beach in the Spice Mill Restaurant area for our day in St. Kitts.

Ā 

Could someone please confirm the taxi or bus price? Ā I have $14 pp / per way written down and a 30 minute drive. Is that correct? Ā Are there shared open buses available for less? Ā There are 3 of us so $84Ā for transport seems a bit steep. I have only $4 pp to Carambola written down. Ā (I know it's closer to the port.)

Ā 

Thank you!

Cockleshell, yes, it's $28.00, per cab/each way to/from.Ā  The cost is split among passengers, depending on the number of people.Ā  So yes, $14.00 pp/each way if just 2 of you.Ā  Normally when you get a taxi from the port, they will wait for the taxis (mostly vans) to fill first, which it will bring the total number to 4+ people, which will bring the charge down to $7.00 pp/ each way.Ā  Even if there are 10 people, they will still charge each person $7.00.Ā  The trip is about 30 minutes to get there.Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

Carambola (South Friar's Bay), yes, only $4 pp/each way.Ā  That's what we paid on our second visit to St. Kitts.Ā  We went to Shipwreck, same beach just opposite ends.Ā  It's only about 15 minutes from port.Ā  Be sure to have your driver stop at the Timothy Hill overlook which has great views where you can see both the Caribbean and Atlantic.Ā  If you go to Carambola, be sure to take a walk down towards Shipwreck to see the black sand, if that's something that interests you.Ā  It's only about a 10 minute walk.Ā  Have a great time!

Ā 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

Cockleshell, yes, it's $28.00, per cab/each way to/from.Ā  The cost is split among passengers, depending on the number of people.Ā  So yes, $14.00 pp/each way if just 2 of you.Ā  Normally when you get a taxi from the port, they will wait for the taxis (mostly vans) to fill first, which it will bring the total number to 4+ people, which will bring the charge down to $7.00 pp/ each way.Ā  Even if there are 10 people, they will still charge each person $7.00.Ā  The trip is about 30 minutes to get there.Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

Carambola (South Friar's Bay), yes, only $4 pp/each way.Ā  That's what we paid on our second visit to St. Kitts.Ā  We went to Shipwreck, same beach just opposite ends.Ā  It's only about 15 minutes from port.Ā  Be sure to have your driver stop at the Timothy Hill overlook which has great views where you can see both the Caribbean and Atlantic.Ā  If you go to Carambola, be sure to take a walk down towards Shipwreck to see the black sand, if that's something that interests you.Ā  It's only about a 10 minute walk.Ā  Have a great time!

Ā 

Thank you so much for the reply! Ā  We are excited to see St Kitts, itā€™s a new port this trip. Ā 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, highlandmom said:

Thank you so much for the reply! Ā  We are excited to see St Kitts, itā€™s a new port this trip. Ā 

We loved St. Kitts and hope to get back soon, small but very pretty island.Ā  You can't go wrong with either Cockleshell or Carambola, both have beautiful views.Ā 

Ā 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

Ā 

Ā 

Are there taxis right at the port, and then are there taxis waiting at the beach(es)? I don't think we want to get stuck at a beach for four or moreĀ  hours if we book a tour. We would like to go to Timothy Hill for sure. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, habby said:

Are there taxis right at the port, and then are there taxis waiting at the beach(es)? I don't think we want to get stuck at a beach for four or moreĀ  hours if we book a tour. We would like to go to Timothy Hill for sure. Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome!Ā  šŸ™‚Ā  Yes, there will be taxis at port.Ā  There is usually someone right at the end of the pier and you can either arrange tours or just let them know where you want to go and they will direct you.Ā  As for waiting at the beaches, when we were at Cockleshell in 2013, there was another couple that ended up going there too so we all agreed on a time to leave and our driver actually waited.Ā  I believe we were there for about 3 hours.Ā  When we were at Shipwreck in 2015, we arranged a pick up time and our driver was there exactly when he said he would be.Ā  If you are on a tour and wanted to leave earlier, that might be something you can arrange with the tour operator.Ā  If not, I don't think it would be a problem to find a taxi back to port since those beaches are popular with cruise passengers.Ā  If worse would come to worse, I'm sure you could always have someone working at the restaurant/bars call a cab - at least that's what we would do.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by pghsteelerfan

1 hour ago, pghsteelerfan said:

You are very welcome!Ā  šŸ™‚Ā  Yes, there will be taxis at port.Ā  There is usually someone right at the end of the pier and you can either arrange tours or just let them know where you want to go and they will direct you.Ā  As for waiting at the beaches, when we were at Cockleshell in 2013, there was another couple that ended up going there too so we all agreed on a time to leave and our driver actually waited.Ā  I believe we were there for about 3 hours.Ā  When we were at Shipwreck in 2015, we arranged a pick up time and our driver was there exactly when he said he would be.Ā  If you are on a tour and wanted to leave earlier, that might be something you can arrange with the tour operator.Ā  If not, I don't think it would be a problem to find a taxi back to port since those beaches are popular with cruise passengers.Ā  If worse would come to worse, I'm sure you could always have someone working at the restaurant/bars call a cab - at least that's what we would do.Ā 

Ā 

Fantastic!! You have been most helpful!

Ā 

HAPPY SAILIINGšŸ›³ļø

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, pghsteelerfan said:

Ā 

Great information.Ā  We were at St Kitt's last year and took a ship excursion to Cockleshell beach.Ā  We were there for 2 1/2 hours which I felt was 30 minutes too short.Ā  So this year we were planning on striking out on our own.

• Like 1

I didn't have anything written down on what to see/do, and I have just got some "ideas", here rightĀ  now, as we will be there in less than two weeks. šŸ™‚ Ā  I hope to get a Taxi for us two, and see Timothy Hill's view, and the Carambola beach in St. Kitts.Ā  If you can think of anything that doesn't cost much to see/do in St. Kitts, please advise.

37 minutes ago, beshears said:

I didn't have anything written down on what to see/do, and I have just got some "ideas", here rightĀ  now, as we will be there in less than two weeks. šŸ™‚ Ā  I hope to get a Taxi for us two, and see Timothy Hill's view, and the Carambola beach in St. Kitts.Ā  If you can think of anything that doesn't cost much to see/do in St. Kitts, please advise.

On our last cruise (last time in St. Kitts), we really wanted to see Brimestone Hill Fortress and if it's nice day, I'd recommend that.Ā  The fort itself is something to see, but the views are stunning.Ā  But I will add that there is a long set of steps to get to the top where the fort/views are.Ā  I'll attach picture for visual for you.Ā  But at the top we were able to see the other islands of St. Eustatius, Saba, and even St. Maarten way in the distance.Ā  It was a gorgeous day though.Ā  There should be someone at the end of the pier and right before you get into the cruise center shopping area that has a sign for tours or taxis.Ā  We told the guy we wanted to go to Brimestone Hill Fortress for an hour (and hour is all you really need) and then either to Shipwreck (same beach as Carambola, opposite end) or Cockleshell Beach and wanted a stop at Timothy Hill along the way.Ā  The total charge, per taxi, to Brimestone was $28.00, each way (so $56 round trip).Ā  It was also $10.00 per adult ($20.00 total) for entrance fee, so at that point, we were up to $76.00.Ā  The total price for the cab driver to get to Cockleshell Beach was another $28.00, per cab, each way.Ā  The charge to South Friars Bay (the beach that both Shipwreck and Carambola are on) was only $4.00, per person, each way.Ā  We decided on Shipwreck Beach Bar/Grill at South Friars Bay instead.Ā  We had been to Cockleshell Beach before.Ā  We loved South Friar's Bay, beautiful views.Ā  Our driver stayed with us at Brimestone (he just parked down in the parking lot in the van and waited for us).Ā  After that, first stop was Timothy Hill and then onto the beach.Ā  Since we wanted about 3 hours at the beach, we arranged a time for him to come pick us up and he was there, right on time.Ā  We didn't pay until he dropped us back off at the cruise center.Ā 

Ā 

Hope others can come up with more ideas for you.Ā  I know there's Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik/Wingfield Estate but we haven't been to either.Ā  I've seen reviews by others who had gone there and they have beautiful grounds with all kinds of tropical trees/plants.Ā  Again, since I've never been there, I have no idea how much time would be needed.Ā  I just looked them up and attaching a link to their site for you, in case you're interested.Ā  https://www.caribellebatikstkitts.com/

I forgot to get a picture from the bottom of those steps at Brimestone looking up, but I did get some from the top looking down and two others from the bottom (by visitor's center/restrooms) where you can see the wall on the side of those steps to hopefully give you an idea. Ā 

Ā 

IMG_0270-1.jpg

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0273-1.jpg

IMG_0276.JPG

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you for your input on St. Kitts, and suggestions as well.Ā  I would like to check out the Brimstone Hill Fortress, but I don't believe my friend would be able to do all those steps.Ā  Those pictures are beautiful as well.Ā  You mentioned Romney Manor, which I would love to see.Ā  Is that at the cruise port, or do we need to get a Taxi to take us to that as well?

19 hours ago, beshears said:

Thank you for your input on St. Kitts, and suggestions as well.Ā  I would like to check out the Brimstone Hill Fortress, but I don't believe my friend would be able to do all those steps.Ā  Those pictures are beautiful as well.Ā  You mentioned Romney Manor, which I would love to see.Ā  Is that at the cruise port, or do we need to get a Taxi to take us to that as well?

I think everyone mentions those steps when Brimestone Hill Fortress is mentioned.Ā  šŸ˜ŠĀ  But it was very beautiful and we were very fortunate to have perfect weather that day.Ā  It rained most of the day in St. Kitts the first time we were there and that would not have been a day to see Brimestone.Ā 

Romney Manor, yes, you would need a taxi to get there and it probably shouldn't take more than a half an hour to get there (I just looked it up on Google Maps and Romney Manor is not as far Brimestone).Ā  Since we've never been there ourselves, I'm not sure what the cost of the taxi would be.Ā  I just know it was $28.00 per cab, each way, to get to Brimestone.Ā  Even if you spent 2 hours there, you'd still have a time left for the beach/stop at Timothy Hill.Ā  From my understanding there may be a shop at the cruise center that sells the batik items from Romney Manor for those those just interested in purchases without actually going to Romney Manor.Ā Ā 

When you say $28 per Taxi, is that for each person, and just one way?Ā  If so, that amount sounds strange compared to an even amount of money.šŸ™‚

Ā 

Yes, if I cannot get to Romney Manor, I would like to check out some of the batik products at the port, if I can find out what the name of the place is there at the port.:classic_unsure:

12 hours ago, beshears said:

When you say $28 per Taxi, is that for each person, and just one way?Ā  If so, that amount sounds strange compared to an even amount of money.šŸ™‚

Ā 

Yes, if I cannot get to Romney Manor, I would like to check out some of the batik products at the port, if I can find out what the name of the place is there at the port.:classic_unsure:

It's $28.00 for the cost of the taxi, which can be spit among passengers.Ā  It's also $28.00 each way.Ā  For example, when my husband and I were in St. Kitts in 2013, it cost $28.00 to get a taxi to Cockleshell Beach and it would be another $28.00 to return to the cruise center from Cockleshell Beach.Ā  Since there were 4 or more people in the taxi/van to the beach, that cost was split and we each payed $7.00 and it worked out the same with our return since we got together with others from our ship who wanted to leave at the same time.Ā  Now if it was just my husband and I in the taxis, it would still be $28.00 for the taxi but would be split between 2 people, $14.00 each way.Ā  I have no idea how they charge for 3 people since that's an odd number.Ā  šŸ™‚

Ā 

Oh thank you for cluing me in on how the $28 Taxi price works.Ā  That does make sense.Ā  So if it is just the two of us coming/going, it would be $28 a piece each way, if I understand this right.? šŸ™‚

11 hours ago, beshears said:

Oh thank you for cluing me in on how the $28 Taxi price works.Ā  That does make sense.Ā  So if it is just the two of us coming/going, it would be $28 a piece each way, if I understand this right.? šŸ™‚

Yes, if it's $28.00 per cab/each way, the TOTAL cost for the cab, round trip, would be $56.00 ($28.00 to destination and another $28.00 return), so $28.00 for each of you for the round trip.Ā 

Edited by pghsteelerfan

3 hours ago, beshears said:

OK, thanks! It "helps" to know ahead of time of the "cost/money" that we may be putting out. šŸ™‚

It sure does and I know exactly what you mean.Ā  šŸ˜ŠĀ  Cruise Critic has always been a big help with ideas for things to see/do in ports while on cruises and, as you mentioned, for the budgeting.Ā