Queen Mary 2 In Trouble off Pompano Beach

rolloman

UPDATE AS OF THIS MORNING!

PORT EVERGLADES, Fla. (AP) -- The world's largest and most expensive ship sailed off Port Everglades this morning, two days after it returned to the port because of a problem with a motor.

The Queen Mary Two, with more than 25-hundred passengers, is on its 38-day trip around South America.

A Coast Guard spokesman says the ship's crew reported feeling a shudder as the ship was leaving the port Tuesday. Preliminary tests indicate the ship may have hit something in the water.

The ship left New York City on Sunday and had stopped in South Florida to pick up passengers.

"A light on the cruises instrument panel indicated the problem to the captain". That is the line that really gets me. The article speaks of the ship shuddering as it left the port. A ship shuddering while leaving a port just really does not happen unless there is a problem. Did the captain really have to see the light on the instument panel go off to realize that something happened?......Thats what i just don't get. It is the equivelant of a person knowing thier car has an oil leak and then scratching their head as the oil light comes on! Captain is gonna have alot of explaining to do.....

"A light on the cruises instrument panel indicated the problem to the captain". That is the line that really gets me. The article speaks of the ship shuddering as it left the port. A ship shuddering while leaving a port just really does not happen unless there is a problem. Did the captain really have to see the light on the instument panel go off to realize that something happened?......Thats what i just don't get. It is the equivelant of a person knowing thier car has an oil leak and then scratching their head as the oil light comes on! Captain is gonna have alot of explaining to do.....

Re-read the article, you're missing a few things. The captains first indication something was wrong was the indicator light.

If the ship was guided out of port by a pilot, which is usually what happens, it would be the pilots fault, not the captains.

It's too early to make any assumptions.

Isnt it the port pilots responsibility to get the ships safely out past the bouys in the channel?

I am not quite sure who's fault it would come down to as the pilot may be navigating the ship through the channel but the captain is still in charge regardless. The pilot's are really only on board for their local knowledge 0of the port. Apparently this particular ones knowledge was not too great :p

Somebody who's on the QM2 now, just posted a photo of one of the propellor blades on the Cunard board. Definitely looks like it scraped against something. They are skipping St. Kitts, Barbados, and Salvador and heading straight to Rio.

Archived