Queen Mary 2 In Trouble off Pompano Beach

rolloman

The ship could have hit a Container that had previously fallen off a container ship, perhaps a large ocean bouy. Perhaps it was minor but set off the ships alarms and they are playing it safe. No doubt we'll hear more about this shortly.

That would have to be one HUGE (and unlucky) manatee. I know it is common for boaters to hit the poor manatees, but I can't imagine a manatee would do such dmage to a ship like the QM2. Wasn't there rumors a few months back about a RCCL ship hitting a whale outside of San Francisco? I don't recall that it did enought damage to delay the ship.

Just got the latest report on the 10 pm news. The ship is still being towed to port Everglades and should be here in an hour. It was stated the ship felt a large vibration and then engine alarms went off, That is when they shut it down. Several maintenance trucks have shown up at pier 21 and it seems they are going to dive underneith and see whats up. The ship was on a 38 day South America Cruise. The passengers will stay on board for now until more is found out about what the issue is. I will let you know if I hear more at the 11 pm news hour.

i wouldn't want to meet that "large" manatee:eek: , sounds like a whale to me or the sub possibly...

My husband is an ex Navy man and immediately said the same thing. He was on a DE, a very small ship, that hit a whale and had no damage. I don't think hitting a manatee would do it to the QM2.

JMO

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_018082638.html

local news says diving operations were held off until daylight today...

hey...ship happens....

a number of years ago while sailing in the Old Bahama channel the ship that I was on hit something we didn't see. We heard a loud racket in the engine room and quickly stopped everything to check things out. Part of the standard drill in this situation was for a crew member to go aft and look over the stern - I always thought that was dumb.

We were sitting stopped and tring to determine waz' up when the guy back aft reported that there was a big tree trunk sticking out from under the ship back aft. :eek: We'd hit a 'dead head' in the middle of the ocean and unfortunately as luck would have it when the shaft stopped the tree - with a big root-ball - wedged itself in the blades of the prop. When we tried to turn the shaft the tree would hit the rudder. Amazing but true - I have pictures! A 1 in 1,000,000 shot. Thank goodness for twin screw ships and multiple rudders.

We limped to port and needed divers with an underwater chain saw to get the thing out...fortunately there was no significant damage to the prop or shaft - just a few scuffs. But if you hit something and it bends a blade just a little bit, you can get serious vibration in the shaft and that can cause big time bearing damage ... Then you get to experience an unscheduled drydock. Very expensive....very....

Am I the only one who would be uncomfortable sailing for 30 days all the way to South America and back with a bad engine?? I know thre are 3 other good engines, but I would think they started with 4, not 3, for a reason?? I would be a bit nervous covering all those miles one engine short!! :confused:

6 miles is close. Close enough to see. I think the reef is only about 2 or 3 miles out though. The only thing else could be a sub or a large unlucky manatee. It should be interesting to hear what exactly happend. A mechanical problem would have to be huge in order to bring her to her knees like that. The live pictures I saw on tv, the ship was just floating idle, no movement and they said the coast guard and tugs were on the way. I can understand why the captain or Cunard is not saying much. Regardless of what it turns out to be, the bottom line is it will be embarrassing to the Cunard.

The news said it hit a shipping channel.

The channel 4 news report I read said that the Coast Guard said that the ship hit the sea wall in the port when it was leaving!!!! OOPS!!!!!

Pooh

Wow, what a mistake! I bet heads will roll over that one. It's not like the sea wall moved and hit the ship. Imagine the millions of dollars that little mistake will cost Cunard.

The latest report from local news says they are having a hard time removing the bad engine from the system. They had hoped to leave after midnight but that looks bleak at the moment.Even though they can run the ship on 3 out of 4, I think the 38 day itenerary will be in question.

Thank goodness for them it was close to a port, could you imagine if something like that happened out in the middle of sea? No thanks.

Good point, although, it's hard to hit a shipping channel wall out at sea, where there arn't any!! There are some close in, but 6 miles out?

Either the Port Pilot was playing with the new joy stick, and the Captain was otherwise busy..........

I'm sure that more will be reveilled!!

Rick

Archived