Queen Mary 2 In Trouble off Pompano Beach

rolloman

It was just reported the Cunard Ship Queen Mary 2 is currently floating dead in the water with its engines shut down. The Captain reported he hit something or has a major malfunction to the Coast Gaurd. Currently sitting 6 miles off of Pompano Beach waiting for tugs.

It was just reported the Cunard Ship Queen Mary 2 is currently floating dead in the water with its engines shut down. The Captain reported he hit something or has a major malfunction to the Coast Gaurd. Currently sitting 6 miles off of Pompano Beach waiting for tugs.

Now you dont see that to often.

Wow, that's a whole lot of ship to be floating around with no power!! I remember a few months back looking at a flyer for the QE2 round the world cruise-$42,000 for 90 days, or something like that-if I spent that, and the ship just died off Florida, I would be PO'd to say the least. I hope everyone is ok-wonder if it will make tonight's news??

I'll stick with RCI, thanks.

Pompano Beach is the next city north of Fort Lauderdale. The information is all over the local news stations with live reports and pictures of the ship. The Captain they said was vague only they hit something or a mechanical malfunction. They shut down its engines and it is drifting waiting for tugs.

From WSVN.com:

PORT EVERGLADES (WSVN) -- A cruise ship that left port in Fort Lauderdale this afternoon and apparently struck something while at sea causing structural damage, is on its way back to shore tonight.

The Queen Mary II, which belongs to the Cunard Line cruiseline, left Port Everglades at around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday en route to South America. While at sea about five to six miles off the coast, the vessel hit something underneath the water causing alarm systems to go off in the control center of the ship.

The cruise ship is on its way back to Port Everglades. Other than the structural damage, The Queen Mary II has not reported any other problems.

Wow! Hope everyone is okay!!

After watching a TV show on the building of this ship, it put me off a bit. They talked about how QM2 is a *real* Ocean Liner, built to withstand the rigors of transatlantic crossings, not just a hotel-in-a-box floating in the water (reference to all other cruise ships)

Seems like there was at least one "rigor" she couldn't hold up to though.

Will keep my fingers crossed that everyone is okay.

Tracy

From WSVN.com:

PORT EVERGLADES (WSVN) -- A cruise ship that left port in Fort Lauderdale this afternoon and apparently struck something while at sea causing structural damage, is on its way back to shore tonight.

The Queen Mary II, which belongs to the Cunard Line cruiseline, left Port Everglades at around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday en route to South America. While at sea about five to six miles off the coast, the vessel hit something underneath the water causing alarm systems to go off in the control center of the ship.

The cruise ship is on its way back to Port Everglades. Other than the structural damage, The Queen Mary II has not reported any other problems.

What the heck could it hit 6 miles out?

Fort Lauderdale does have a reef out there. I hope it did not hit that because there will be heavy fines if it did. I read in the paper all the time where some of the tankers going into Port Everglades hit this reef.

My favorite ship is wounded! Wonder why all those fancy instruments didn't notify the officers of problems before it happened. Someone must not have been paying attention? Seems like depth finders, sonar or radar should have warned them if they were approaching something under water.

Fort Lauderdale does have a reef out there. I hope it did not hit that because there will be heavy fines if it did. I read in the paper all the time where some of the tankers going into Port Everglades hit this reef.

A reef that far out? When do the pilots get off? I was thinking 1-2 miles max.

6 miles is close. Close enough to see. I think the reef is only about 2 or 3 miles out though. The only thing else could be a sub or a large unlucky manatee. It should be interesting to hear what exactly happend. A mechanical problem would have to be huge in order to bring her to her knees like that. The live pictures I saw on tv, the ship was just floating idle, no movement and they said the coast guard and tugs were on the way. I can understand why the captain or Cunard is not saying much. Regardless of what it turns out to be, the bottom line is it will be embarrassing to the Cunard.

Archived