X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

Bimmer09

On 3/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, lola2013 said:

Hi Norris,

Sorrento is filled with plenty of cute outdoor cafes.  I will always choose that over an indoor restaurant.  Half the fun is people watching.  Last time was pizza found on a side street.  There is a roundabout at the entrance to town with an outdoor cafe that we plan to try this time. 

Capri is definitely worth the trip if you have the time.  If memory serves, it’s 20-30 minutes via hydrofoil...a bit longer by ferry.  Lots of great places with a view to have lunch.  And they are famous for limoncello 😋.  Don’t forget to visit the beautiful gardens.

Our upcoming May trip is family and friends on Jewel of the Seas.  Celebrity was our first choice, but only Edge does an itinerary similar  to what we are doing on Jewel; and our sunset verandas (stateroom of choice) are more than double on Edge...ouch!

I have a Edge trip planned for December...I’m anxious to see what the hype is all about.  May 2020 is the ABCs on Equinox.

Have you done any research on the new Enchanted Princess?  That’s on our radar for TA for fall, 2021.

Hope you and Carol have a great weekend.  

Susan

Susan, I have been looking at Capri but Carol doesn't want to spend the time getting there when we could be touring the Amalfi coast. I'd like to see Amalfi as well as Ravello and Positano. I'll drop a couple of youtube videos of Capri in her mail and see if she is interested, but we usually go with the first plan.

Enchanted Princess- no research here, nor did we do any before we booked the Sky Princess which will be the newest ship we have ever sailed on ( Inaugural in Oct 2019 and we sail Jan 2020). Sky just happened to be sailing to a place we wanted to go (Western Caribbean) at the time we wanted to go (Mid January when we always sail.) The fact that it was a new ship which has a French Bistro on board is just pure gravy! My middle name is French Bistro. I am very much a Francophile as Carol could tell you and I launch into my high school French at the drop of a chapeau.

I still like the older Princess ships but am glad we added two other worthy lines to give us more choices. I couldn't be a one cruise line guy and I would get tired and jaded if I just sailed Princess Grand Class ships, beautiful as they are.

Sunset verandas? We are committed aft dwellers and pay more as a result. You're not daft if you sail aft!

I will look forward to your impressions of the Edge!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 8:37 PM, Hooked! said:

Norris, 

Just found this trip report the other day and couldn’t stop reading until I finished! Your photos are stunning, as always, and it looks like you got to see a good amount of Cuba (although I’m sure not enough, as I know you plan to return). As a Spanish major, I wrote many a paper on the Cuban Revolution, so I really appreciate you sharing your time at the revolution museum with us. You’ve reminded me of just how much I want to visit that country. Thank you, good sir! 

Megan 

Megan, thanks for the great feedback! 

The Revolution Museum was Carol's idea and I am so glad we went.

I hope you can make a plan to visit Cuba and see it for yourself.

As a Spanish speaker you'll get even more from it than I could.

The report was on the first page of the X board for 5 weeks but now will sink day by day with less people getting a chance to read it. Of course Cuba isn't everyone's cup of tea as it is not a typical beachy Caribbean island flying the Diamonds International or Michael Kors flag. For me that's a big plus!

Norris

• Like 1

A friend from Perth sent me the link to your wonderful review as she knew that we were going to Cuba next March. Thanks so much for the fantastic photos and the excellent  review as well as the recommendation of your guides. I have emailed each of the three companies and have already heard from two of them and have booked tours with them.  We are going with Oceania as the itinerary is excellent and we like their product.  We will be on Sirena and have already cruised on her six times when she was the Ocean and Tahitian Princess. She is our favourite little ship, though we have been on Azamara's Quest,  Pacific Princess and the old Royal Princess before she went to P & O U.K.,  plus Oceania's Nautica and Regatta so you can see we have a love affair with those ex "R" ships. Thanks for all the details of your cruise including your hotel in Miami. We are tempted to stay there though we have been to Miami once before and this time we are thinking of being closer to the port and staying at the Intercontinental.

Jennie  

On 3/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

Wow Norris, you have excelled yourself! This has been a wonderful review with all of your excellent photos. Cuba and Azamara are now definitely on my radar for the future. Thank you so much for taking me along with you and Carol on your journey, I have thoroughly enjoyed every step along the way. I'm always sorry when your reviews finish but now I can look forward to your Norway review. 

I hope you check in on my Norway review. I will probably start posting in mid July upon my return. It is a big trip - two nights in Rome, four nights in Malta, two nights in Southampton, 14 nights on Sapphire Princess and then ten nights visiting family and friends in the UK! I don't know which ports you are going to in Norway but mine are Stavanger, Flam, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Lofoten Islands, Alesund and Bergen. 

Thank you once again. 

Allison

Allison, that is quite the long trip you are taking in July! 4 nights in Malta? We had about 8 hours there! 10 days in the UK-a retirement dream for me.

We are only seeing Bergen, Flam, Alesund and Stavanger on our cruise and will be busy with excursions in each. Maybe someday we'll go further North. Lofoten Islands are supreme eye candy.

So I will certainly be tuning in to your Sapphire review!

Thanks for the kind comments on the review.

Norris 

On 3/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, Aussie Gal said:

A friend from Perth sent me the link to your wonderful review as she knew that we were going to Cuba next March. Thanks so much for the fantastic photos and the excellent  review as well as the recommendation of your guides. I have emailed each of the three companies and have already heard from two of them and have booked tours with them.  We are going with Oceania as the itinerary is excellent and we like their product.  We will be on Sirena and have already cruised on her six times when she was the Ocean and Tahitian Princess. She is our favourite little ship, though we have been on Azamara's Quest,  Pacific Princess and the old Royal Princess before she went to P & O U.K.,  plus Oceania's Nautica and Regatta so you can see we have a love affair with those ex "R" ships. Thanks for all the details of your cruise including your hotel in Miami. We are tempted to stay there though we have been to Miami once before and this time we are thinking of being closer to the port and staying at the Intercontinental.

Jennie  

Jennie, thank your friend in Perth for me as I am glad you got to read this.

If you still haven't heard from the third Cuban tour company tell me which one.

You love those R ships, huh? Me too. I sailed on  the Ocean Princess (Venice to Rome review). The Quest has the Azamara decor which I personally love. I am sure the Oceania style is beautiful too. I would like Oceania better if they didn't do that "Brochure Price" nonsense that no one in this Galaxy would ever pay without first having suffered brain damage.Why pretend that they are giving you a deal? It's like Macy's "Regular Price" vs "Sale Price" . No one pays the regular inflated price and tumbleweeds blow through the stores.

Small ships are not so small when you are on a lively itinerary. Would I want to do a TA on them? Nope. I do like big ships like Silhouette but it only carries 2800 people nicely spread out.

Mammoth ships like Oasis class I am unlikely to sail on.

Staying at the Intercontinental in Miami will give you a nice view and easy access to your ship.

I hope you'll write a review in March 2020 and tell us how you liked Cuba!

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris,

I still have to hear from Blexie Tours. Both Fernando and Yoe sent their regards and were thrilled that you had mentioned them in your review.  We will be seeing the new Oceania style when we cruise on Sirena. At the moment all the other little "O" ships are still in the old "R" mode.  We love the beautiful Marina which is so very tasteful, so we are hoping that the Sirena will be like her when she comes out of dry dock.

Jennie

Hi Norris

Just finished reading your review. Outstanding as usual and your photos get better and better. Now I have Norway to look forward to. I have a friend (unfortunately not a photographer) who did a Norwegian fiord cruise this past year. I think it was on a much smaller ship than the Silly. She loved it so much, she’s considering another visit to Norway. She loved both the scenery and the people. 

Now to find Dana’s review. 

Maris

19 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

Hi Norris

Just finished reading your review. Outstanding as usual and your photos get better and better. Now I have Norway to look forward to. I have a friend (unfortunately not a photographer) who did a Norwegian fiord cruise this past year. I think it was on a much smaller ship than the Silly. She loved it so much, she’s considering another visit to Norway. She loved both the scenery and the people. 

Now to find Dana’s review. 

Maris

Hi Maris! Thanks for reading until the end and I am glad you enjoyed it.

I know from the Norway roll call that there are people who return to Norway again and again but for us that would be hard to do as we have so many other places we need to see and little vacation time to see them in. We'll see if it works its magic come September.

I don't see Dana's Carnival review just yet but it should appear any day now.

Hope you can join us on this X board in September!

Norris

On 3/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, Aussie Gal said:

Hi Norris,

I still have to hear from Blexie Tours. Both Fernando and Yoe sent their regards and were thrilled that you had mentioned them in your review.  We will be seeing the new Oceania style when we cruise on Sirena. At the moment all the other little "O" ships are still in the old "R" mode.  We love the beautiful Marina which is so very tasteful, so we are hoping that the Sirena will be like her when she comes out of dry dock.

Jennie

Jennie, I emailed Blexie to remind him about your request. He apologized for the delay .He has been very busy leading tours and has responded to you . Check your spam folder if you haven't seen his response yet.

Norris

7 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Jennie, I emailed Blexie to remind him about your request. He apologized for the delay .He has been very busy leading tours and has responded to you . Check your spam folder if you haven't seen his response yet.

Norris

Norris,

I did hear from Blexie yesterday and we are very happy with what we are doing on our first day in Havana. I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful report and the great information that I found in those pages.

Jennie

On 3/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Aussie Gal said:

Norris,

I did hear from Blexie yesterday and we are very happy with what we are doing on our first day in Havana. I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful report and the great information that I found in those pages.

Jennie

Jennie, you will be happy you chose Blexie. I'm glad my review has proved helpful to you.

Also it is my civic duty to drop a link to Deladane's Carnival Review so we can all learn a bit more about the Carnival product and maybe see some new destinations through her great photos. Knowledge is power is my mantra.

Enjoy!

Norris

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

Also it is my civic duty to drop a link to Deladane's Carnival Review so we can all learn a bit more about the Carnival product and maybe see some new destinations through her great photos.

Thanks for the link to Deladane's review. I've never read one of her reviews before. I just started her Celebrity Eclipse review from last year and I'm hooked. I need to get through all 26 pages now. I've also subscribed to her current one on the Carnival Dream. Thanks again for the heads up.

14 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Jennie, you will be happy you chose Blexie. I'm glad my review has proved helpful to you.

Also it is my civic duty to drop a link to Deladane's Carnival Review so we can all learn a bit more about the Carnival product and maybe see some new destinations through her great photos. Knowledge is power is my mantra.

Enjoy!

Norris

Norris, thanks for sharing this link!  I felt badly about hijacking your thread to post a link to my review, but if you are the one posting the link then I'm okay with it hehe  

12 hours ago, Jasperdo said:

Thanks for the link to Deladane's review. I've never read one of her reviews before. I just started her Celebrity Eclipse review from last year and I'm hooked. I need to get through all 26 pages now. I've also subscribed to her current one on the Carnival Dream. Thanks again for the heads up.

I'm so glad you are enjoying my Eclipse review!  If you are looking to read something extra special, then I urge you to take a peek at my review from Paul Gauguin.  That is my favorite cruise so far (so also my favorite review!) and French Polynesia is so stunningly beautiful that it's hard to take a bad photo!  It's a long one though, so hopefully you have some spare time to take to take a look 🙂

Is there a link to see all of the Bimmer & Deladane  Cruise Reviews? I have just heard about them. I would like to pick and choose the cruises I would like to read about. Thanks.

JuWolf43
Judi

techteach@roadrunner.com

3 hours ago, JuWolf43 said:

Is there a link to see all of the Bimmer & Deladane  Cruise Reviews? I have just heard about them. I would like to pick and choose the cruises I would like to read about. Thanks.

JuWolf43
Judi

techteach@roadrunner.com

Hi Judi, I have all my links showing on page 31, post 751.

Hope you find a cruise or ship you are interested in.

Norris

Hello Norris (and Carol). Thanks for your wonderful review and photos. I told my husband I was reading this and he rolled his eyes, but when I mentioned the rum bottle being left on the table in Havana - his answer "we must get there one day". So another place for the ever growing list.

I found your review whilst looking at the "X" page  for information on the EXpedition for Galapagas ( booked for 2021). I had never visited before. We have sailed on Azamara Quest to the Norwegian Fjords  - this was a wonderful cruise and itinerary - and your title piqued my interest.  So glad I read along and now have your links to previous reviews (Alaska is on that long list of ours).

I see you will be in Koper, Slovenia - one of our favorite days - we organised a private tour to Lake Bled (great photo ops) and Llubujana from there.

Jan

13 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Hello Norris (and Carol). Thanks for your wonderful review and photos. I told my husband I was reading this and he rolled his eyes, but when I mentioned the rum bottle being left on the table in Havana - his answer "we must get there one day". So another place for the ever growing list.

I found your review whilst looking at the "X" page  for information on the EXpedition for Galapagas ( booked for 2021). I had never visited before. We have sailed on Azamara Quest to the Norwegian Fjords  - this was a wonderful cruise and itinerary - and your title piqued my interest.  So glad I read along and now have your links to previous reviews (Alaska is on that long list of ours).

I see you will be in Koper, Slovenia - one of our favorite days - we organised a private tour to Lake Bled (great photo ops) and Llubujana from there.

Jan

Jan, thanks for reading and offering such kind comments!

We were just watching a very old Rick Steves show yesterday on Slovenia and were reminded of the beauty of Lake Bled and llubujana. Azamara has excursions to each (not both) lasting 7.5 hours. I'd prefer a tour that gives us a shorter taste of each. Do you recall the local tour company you used?

Thanks in advance.

Norris

On 3/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, deladane said:

I'm so glad you are enjoying my Eclipse review!  If you are looking to read something extra special, then I urge you to take a peek at my review from Paul Gauguin.  That is my favorite cruise so far (so also my favorite review!) and French Polynesia is so stunningly beautiful that it's hard to take a bad photo!  It's a long one though, so hopefully you have some spare time to take to take a look 🙂

Thanks for the tip. I'll start that one when I'm finished with the Eclipse review. I'm also following along with your current Dream review. They're both wonderful. You have a great knack for writing, and your photos are terrific.

9 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Jan, thanks for reading and offering such kind comments!

We were just watching a very old Rick Steves show yesterday on Slovenia and were reminded of the beauty of Lake Bled and llubujana. Azamara has excursions to each (not both) lasting 7.5 hours. I'd prefer a tour that gives us a shorter taste of each. Do you recall the local tour company you used?

Thanks in advance.

Norris

Bimmer we used a company called Roundabout (Tours or Travel?). From memory we were first off the ship and were met in the carpark. Vendors were setting up stalls as well. We drove straight to Lake Bled to the castle for the views and “famous” Bled cake. Quick look at castle museum. Tried to ride a Plet boat out to church in lake but they weren’t working as too windy. Then went to Vetner gorge. Guide and driver took us to main entrance start of trail and we walked the gorge - a couple of km’s, meanwhile they drove to other end and met us at the exit. So a 1 way walk. We then drove to Llubjana for lunch , guide chose then we walked along the river and pedestrian streets, before going to a bar to try some blueberry scnapps. Drove back to Koper with a 5 min drive through town. 

I can’t remember what we paid and if we had to pay entrances , lunch extra etc but do remember it compared favourably to other private taxi tours we had arranged in Greece.

Jan

3 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Bimmer we used a company called Roundabout (Tours or Travel?). From memory we were first off the ship and were met in the carpark. Vendors were setting up stalls as well. We drove straight to Lake Bled to the castle for the views and “famous” Bled cake. Quick look at castle museum. Tried to ride a Plet boat out to church in lake but they weren’t working as too windy. Then went to Vetner gorge. Guide and driver took us to main entrance start of trail and we walked the gorge - a couple of km’s, meanwhile they drove to other end and met us at the exit. So a 1 way walk. We then drove to Llubjana for lunch , guide chose then we walked along the river and pedestrian streets, before going to a bar to try some blueberry scnapps. Drove back to Koper with a 5 min drive through town. 

I can’t remember what we paid and if we had to pay entrances , lunch extra etc but do remember it compared favourably to other private taxi tours we had arranged in Greece.

Jan

Jan, thanks for such useful and helpful information!

It's travelroundabout.com and it has what we need (and then some).

It looks to me that from this site we need a week to enjoy Slovenia and not a day.

I also was head over heels in love with toursbymilo regarding Kotor. Such eye candy countries there on the Dalmatian coast and we already love Croatia just from a one day cruise stop in Dubrovnik. That was before the days of me insisting (gently) that we eat local, however after an excursion to Maleston to eat oysters picked from the sea as we watched, we were treated to a sit-down lunch with some great local seafood, including grilled sardines the size of herring, which I had never seen outside of a can before. 

We definitely want to see Bled and have a slap-up feed outdoors in Ljubljana with some local wine and then back to the ship for the Azamazing evening in the main square in Koper, where pax from all three Azamara ships will attend.

You have put me on a good path and that's for a cruise that is 19 months away!

Planning 3 cruises has my head swimming with possibilities but I have to get back to Norwegian excursions for this September and then the Western Caribbean for January.

Thanks again!

Norris 

Thank you Norris for the extensive and delightful review. I found it accidentally perusing the improved Tapatalk app tonight. I read all of it. Three hours I believe and time for bed. We leave on Monday on the Journey-and now even more excited for the trip. I didn’t even know there was a hoho bus in Havana for our second day. We are doing a whole day tour first day with Havana Journeys which also has great reviews.
I should have been packing but was so entertained by your review, that it will be done tomorrow.
We have done 29 Celebrity cruises and one on the Azamara Quest and happy with both.
Thanks and when I have more time after the cruise, will check out your other reviews.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, Harborgirl246 said:

Thank you Norris for the extensive and delightful review. I found it accidentally perusing the improved Tapatalk app tonight. I read all of it. Three hours I believe and time for bed. We leave on Monday on the Journey-and now even more excited for the trip. I didn’t even know there was a hoho bus in Havana for our second day. We are doing a whole day tour first day with Havana Journeys which also has great reviews.
I should have been packing but was so entertained by your review, that it will be done tomorrow.
We have done 29 Celebrity cruises and one on the Azamara Quest and happy with both.
Thanks and when I have more time after the cruise, will check out your other reviews.

Wow, you leave today on the Journey?

Bon Voyage!

I'm glad you stumbled upon this.

Enjoy the HoHo bus tour!

Norris

3 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Thank you for a wonderful review. I think you’d love to see some of the press coverage of Prince Charles visit to Cuba this week - he loves vintage cars too!

Wendy

Wendy, glad you read and enjoyed the review!

I am sure there will be Youtube footage of the Royal visit.

Hope to see you in my Norway review.

Cheers!

Norris