Beach with kid friendly restaurant

melmar02

We're looking for a beach that offers chairs, a restaurant and bathroom facilities, and snorkeling from shore. I have heard wonderful things about Maya Chan's service; however, I have also read that the sea grass is terrible there. My daughter is also a picky eater related to Autism, so I need a place that offers American fare (we could work with chicken nuggets or a cheeseburger) or plain cheese quesadilla and nachos. 

Has anyone found a gem like this that they could share?

Jaimie's At the blue reef.

Burgers/chicken, French fries and onion rings. as well as ceviche/salsa tacos.

we had two Celiac children and they could even accommodate them, let them know before hand for any special needs and I would bet they will try to get it for you

You can certainly snorkel from the beach and there is wildlife but its no reef

Sea grass can be anywhere, Jaimies is no exception

7 hours ago, proggieus said:

we had two Celiac children and they could even accommodate them

Are you able to provide some more details? I am currently looking at options for Costa Maya for our family cruise in early April. Our 5 year old daughter has celiac disease and our 3 year old eats gluten free with her. My original plan was to feed them breakfast on the ship & just give them safe snacks off the ship. I find that restaurants we can trust to feed her without her getting sick are very rare, even in the states, so I wasn’t even considering chancing it in Mexico. But if there is a place that would specifically cater to a child with celiac and provide safe (not cross contaminated) gluten-free food, I would happily give them our business for the day!

Thanks for any info!

Just now, Gatordad815 said:

Are you able to provide some more details? I am currently looking at options for Costa Maya for our family cruise in early April. Our 5 year old daughter has celiac disease and our 3 year old eats gluten free with her. My original plan was to feed them breakfast on the ship & just give them safe snacks off the ship. I find that restaurants we can trust to feed her without her getting sick are very rare, even in the states, so I wasn’t even considering chancing it in Mexico. But if there is a place that would specifically cater to a child with celiac and provide safe (not cross contaminated) gluten-free food, I would happily give them our business for the day!

Thanks for any info!

The kids we travel with are extremely sensitive to gluten, they will know very shortly if they get contaminated foods-

The parents travel with a little tester(https://nimasensor.com i believe this is it) that allows them to take a small sample of the food and will test it for gluten. 

we let Jaimie know while booking about the kids and reminded him a week or so before hand, when the day came we asked what the kids could likely have-

they cooked up some chicken breasts and they tested gluten free, 

I believe there were some other foods that they could have that also tested gluten free.

Keep in mind that Mexican food in general is far less likely to contain gluten since so much is corn based,

however as you know cross contamination can happen anywhere even with the best intentions. the parents had the emergency food kit along justo in case the test didn't come out OK.

I have left a message with the parents to find out what else the kids could eat at Jaimie's.  I will reply again when i hear back-

we are going back to Jaimies in about 2 months with the same family.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thank you so much for the info-sincerely appreciated!

No problem-

I heard back from the Mom-

she did not test any of the other food as the kids were fine with just the chicken and a few items from the "kit"

she did say the kids still talk about the chicken that day and how good it was but she suspects that just the fact they got to eat like everybody else has as much to with it as anything.

she thinks she might try testing some of the other foods on our next visit in march-

if she does i will try to remember to update the info here.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, proggieus said:

if she does i will try to remember to update the info here.

Great-thank you so much! Any reviews of places I can take my kids off the ship that will prepare safe gluten free food are sincerely appreciated! Enjoy your March trip!

On 1/28/2019 at 7:51 PM, Gatordad815 said:

Great-thank you so much! Any reviews of places I can take my kids off the ship that will prepare safe gluten free food are sincerely appreciated! Enjoy your March trip!

You could contact Maya Chan with your specific dietary needs and see if they can accomodate you. They are very easy to reach by email.

We have not been there yet but I just looked back at our correspondence with Maya Chan and it clearly states to let them know of any dietary restrictions in advance. We will be there in 3 weeks so I will report ba k on the seagrass. I hope this helps!

5 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

We have not been there yet but I just looked back at our correspondence with Maya Chan and it clearly states to let them know of any dietary restrictions in advance. We will be there in 3 weeks so I will report ba k on the seagrass. I hope this helps!

Thank you for the info! I checked in with Maya Chan last week as I was initially comparing options, but they are already sold out for our day- popular place!  Enjoy your time there & please do report on sea grass-thanks!