Princess Cays FIRE

Jdfireman

Thank goodness this did not happen with an island full of passengers. Hope everyone that works/lives on the island are okay. I live in Northern California so to see the devastation over the last several years from the Napa, Paradise and Malibu, etc. fires has my heart heavy for anyone having to deal with the destruction and aftermath. Heartbreaking. 

4 buildings destroyed, but that included the water plant and the generator building. I assume they can't operate without power and water, so unless there are more than one of each of them, I'd speculate they'll be shut down for a while.

http://eleutheranews.com/?p=20376

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 30scruiser said:

Someone who is on the Pride posted on FB that they are going to HMC tomorrow instead of PC as scheduled. Not sure if they can do that for all the ships scheduled to go to PC until they can rebuild.

Interesting looks like the Elation was scheduled to be there tomorrow as well.

So glad the damage was contained and no one was hurt!  Thanks for the updates, y'all.  Here's hoping it's rebuilt very soon - not just for the sake of cruisers like us that enjoy stopping there, but especially for the sake of the Eleutherans that depend on those cruise ships coming in for their livelihoods.

10 minutes ago, paulypride said:

wow, i was just there a week ago today! 

was my favorite private island i have been to so far 😞

Were there a lot of real buildings on the island? or was it more those tiki-hut type buildings....I can see those catching fire QUICK 😳

5 hours ago, Rynerson27 said:

Interesting looks like the Elation was scheduled to be there tomorrow as well.

I think they’re probably going to be doubling up at HMC for a while but I guess we will find out. Thankfully no one was hurt, so everything else will work out somehow.

7 hours ago, CruiseDude69 said:

Were there a lot of real buildings on the island? or was it more those tiki-hut type buildings....I can see those catching fire QUICK 😳

I'm kind of curious as well ?

I don't remember a lot of "real" buildings.  There were little stands and huts for purchases, information, rentals.  Some of these were just little Straw Market carts.  There was the typical island bar structure.  There was the large, covered buffet area, a lot like the one on HMC.  There were the restrooms, and some "works" buildings such as what they described burning.

And we had two of these bungalows:

image.png.9a9aadd68f8c8064a4180529c351bd47.png

There were several of these little, wooden bungalows.

Maybe some other buildings, but I don't remember them.

18 hours ago, CruiseDude69 said:

Well, the island it on, Eleuthera, is 110 miles long. Princess Cays is near the southern tip. But I assume you mean are there substantial buildings at Princess Cays.

I remember it more as you do, open air thatched roof buildings. Some pretty large, where the food is served. But this sounds like it was more behind the scenes. Water purification building, generator building, maintenance building, etc. burned. We probably never saw those buildings.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

20 hours ago, Holymolyoly said:

They said on Twitter that there was no injuries, thankfully. 4 buildings burnt down before the fire was put out. 

Im supposed to stop there Feb 5. Not sure what they will do instead. 

You will probably join Elation at HMC, as Pride is today.  

5 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I don't remember a lot of "real" buildings.  There were little stands and huts for purchases, information, rentals.  Some of these were just little Straw Market carts.  There was the typical island bar structure.  There was the large, covered buffet area, a lot like the one on HMC.  There were the restrooms, and some "works" buildings such as what they described burning.

And we had two of these bungalows:

image.png.9a9aadd68f8c8064a4180529c351bd47.png

There were several of these little, wooden bungalows.

Maybe some other buildings, but I don't remember them.

What a shame. I thought I read somewhere they just did a bunch of renovations back in early 2018 too. Hopefully the rebuilding doesn't take too long. 

How horrible, but thankfully nobody got hurt! Hope it's up and running again soon.

At the risk or sounding rude, won't it be horribly crowded to have two ships at Half Moon Cay? 

I am supposed to call there on the Elation at the end of February and am really looking forward to it. It worries me a little bit to think about how crowded the beach and buffet area could get with double the passengers if another ship gets rerouted there on our day.

Has anyone ever been there with two ships in port, or on a megaship? Was it fine?

I do see the other point of view. If I was supposed to call at Princess Cays, I would rather share HMC than go to Freeport or have another sea day.

23 minutes ago, Jlk88 said:

How horrible, but thankfully nobody got hurt! Hope it's up and running again soon.

At the risk or sounding rude, won't it be horribly crowded to have two ships at Half Moon Cay? 

I am supposed to call there on the Elation at the end of February and am really looking forward to it. It worries me a little bit to think about how crowded the beach and buffet area could get with double the passengers if another ship gets rerouted there on our day.

Has anyone ever been there with two ships in port, or on a megaship? Was it fine?

I do see the other point of view. If I was supposed to call at Princess Cays, I would rather share HMC than go to Freeport or have another sea day.

That's not a rude question at all , very understandable.  And you would be correct two ships at HMC would be a crowded beach and a slower beach day. Slower because of the lack of tenders that would be available. Also the ships would tender the crew and the food from two ships to feed the masses before they debarked passengers .  Me I have been there several times with one ship, but I know a crowd when I see one .