Serenade of the Seas, if you've sailed in a Stern Cabin...

tinsel57

Ok, trying to book an Alaskan cruise and have the opportunity to book a stern cabin on deck 9. We've gotten into a spirited discussion on location, with another party insisting this has to be the leftovers, the worst location on the ship, that it's right above the engines and there will be so much noise they won't even be able to have the balcony doors open to their cabin! I can't believe, especially with the gas propulsion engines on this baby, that that would be the case but I have no first hand experience!

Now, I've sailed aft before but not on the Serenade. My personal experience has always been WOW! Love this location! Don't want to sail any other place...

If you've sailed the Serenade in a stern cabin, please let me know if you enjoyed it and if you found excessive noise from the engines.

Best cabins on the ship. The reason they are "leftover" is that booking engines only pop up 6 - 7 staterooms in each category at a time, usually starting at midships. So unless people specifically ask if the wonderful aft cabins are available, they will book whatever shows up, which is usually the midship cabins first. Another reason is somebody may have had to cancel or decided to upgrade.

I managed to snag an aft JS on Serenade for this March last August, which was about 6 months after I booked, at which time it wasn't available.

THAT's what I told them!!

I told them there was at least 10 decks between them and the engines!! But you know how some people are.. that's why I came here. I was sure there'd be 100 people reacting just as you did, assuming I am a total idiot for bringing up the question!!!

LOL! I am not the one sitting here saying it's the worst location due to noise!

( as in the idiot is not me!)

And yes, I specify stern as many people think only the rear of the ship including sides when you say aft as that's how the cabins are categorized, for, mid, aft.

Best cabins on the ship. The reason they are "leftover" is that booking engines only pop up 6 - 7 staterooms in each category at a time, usually starting at midships. So unless people specifically ask if the wonderful aft cabins are available, they will book whatever shows up, which is usually the midship cabins first. Another reason is somebody may have had to cancel or decided to upgrade.

I managed to snag an aft JS on Serenade for this March last August, which was about 6 months after I booked, at which time it wasn't available.

They're never left over, ta's can have them for asking :) all the time! In fact I always sail in one of these cabins and try to book it the second the ship opens up for booking, but as i said, I have never been on this particular ship and so I wanted it straight from the horses mouth, from those of you whose butts have sat on those decks!!!

(But I am sure you are correct that in this instance someone had it and cancelled. I told them all this.)

We were in an aft (side aft, very near the end - 7160) on the Serenade last week. It's a great location - no engine noise (or any other noise for that matter that we noticed), and we didn't mind the walk at all. It was convenient enough to everything we needed, and the walking was very good for us with all that food!

Carla

tinsel57: The above posters info is very accurate. Only reason this type of cabin is available is that either a TA had it held as part of group space that had to be returned to RCI or the people who booked it upgraded to a different cabin or had to cancel/reschedule their cruise.

We spent 22 glorious days on the aft of the Serenade over the past 2 years! While we were on deck 10, deck 9 is a very good location. NO engine noise, fumes, etc. We had balcony door open ALL of the time. :D These are great cabins! Only disadvantage (which we see as an advantage) is the long walk from the stairway/elevators.

Hope this helps. If you need anything further, please ask away.

Bruce

tinsel57: The above posters info is very accurate. Only reason this type of cabin is available is that either a TA had it held as part of group space that had to be returned to RCI or the people who booked it upgraded to a different cabin or had to cancel/reschedule their cruise.

We spent 22 glorious days on the aft of the Serenade over the past 2 years! While we were on deck 10, deck 9 is a very good location. NO engine noise, fumes, etc. We had balcony door open ALL of the time. :D These are great cabins! Only disadvantage (which we see as an advantage) is the long walk from the stairway/elevators.

Hope this helps. If you need anything further, please ask away.

Bruce

Let me see if I can't clarify the thread.

My purpose here was to gather people who I knew would echo the same refraim: THERE IS NO NOISE from engines when you occupy the stern deck!

I am showing your answers to the person that questioned my cabin choice so that they will understand that their assumption of engine noise is incorrect and in fact, that this location is really a choice cabin. I am fact gathering from those that have been there done that, so to speak.

I have first hand and daily experience on why cabins are released and when they become available, though I appreciate all your efforts to 'enlighten' me :)

Congrats on the booking!!!!

Having been on the Serenade 5 times, with two being aft, you have made a wise decision. Wehave had 7176 and 1100 with no noise from either. This has been the quietest place on the ship for us. Definitely no engine noise or hallway noise which is a bigger concern for us.

You're so sweet but the booking is not for me!! I am the 'facilitator' :)

I always sail right over the back. Love it! Wouldn't sail in any other location. I am off to Hawaii this year on the Radiance so won't have the joy of experiencing the Serenade just yet... but I'll get to her!!

Would anyone happen to have any pictures of 1100 on the Serenade? We have this room booked for our cruise in December and it is our first JS. Just wondering if the room or balcony is bigger than the other JS's because it is in the aft. We just had 1388 on the Navigator and loved it!!

I just tried and I get over 9000 pages with the first pictures all being of double decker buses. Any other ideas?

Go to "community" when that page comes up go to the bottom of it to "find a member" type in kmb5387 the next page will show the result for that in blue which will look like this kmb5387 Click on that to get to the albums. for some reason I am getting a message saying the site is busy and to try back later. If that doesn't work again, let me know. You can email me at kmb5387@hotmail.com and I will send you a direct invitation to the site which includes most of our cruise pics. I'll check back later this evening to see if you made it. Good luck.

Archived