Passport question

nasus2

This may seem trivial but I always keep our passports in cabin safe but this cruise I have booked several private tours. Now everyone guarantees getting you back in time but if the worst happened and I missed boat should we take passport with us in case we need to make travel arrangements to next port???

trivial but dilemma is keeping me awake at night

would welcome advice from more experienced cruisers

nasus

Before the ship leaves someone from security will go into your safe and retrieve your passports and they give them to the port agent.  He'll still be looking for you when you return.  If you  watch carefully when they are waiting for someone and after they have called their names several times, an officer hands a large envelope to someone on the pier just before they pull in the ramp.  Your passports are in the envelope.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you return in time.

• Thanks 1

We were told by some "higher-ups" to always leave your passport in the safe.  Take a copy if you must. 

However, some of the daily papers tell you to take your passport off the ship.  Key West is one of those ports where they are checked if you dock at the Naval base.  At the downtown pier, you must have an ID of some sort to get back onto the pier.  In Russia, a passport is a must! 

So, it just depends on where you are traveling.

• Like 1

They always say to take your ship card and a "government issued i.d." when leaving the ship, at a port. I could take my drivers license but I choose to take my passport. It's a personal choice. I don't take ship excursions and take my passport just in case. I also try, at all ports to get my passport stamped, so I have another reason to take it with me.

If I'm in a place I feel  more security is needed, like crowded train stations, or cities like Barcelona, I wear a pouch inside my shirt, but usually I wear a cross body bag with money & passport.

I do keep a copy in my ship room or hotel safe and on my phone. So far, so good.

• Like 1