WiFi questions

Crazy4Camping

So I get free wifi onboard but only to use the Carnival app, right?  What do the other plans do?  Without the plans can I do anything?  Like text?  Anywhere in our itinerary that I could text(we're doing Southern Caribbean)??  I wondered if since San Juan and St. Thomas are considered US territories if I can use my phone on those islands?  Or do I need an international plan on my phone?  Any info is greatly appreciated!!

The WiFi will only run the hub app if you don’t pay for a plan. I get the social plan every time we cruise to be able to message my mom through Facebook. She house/pet sits for us as well as taking care of my business so contact with her is important. The social plan works fine for Facebook, Instagram, etc. Just be aware that if you order a plan on the ship that it will be super slow compared to what you get at home. I try to use it early mornings before most get up and are online. 

You will have to contact your phone provider to see what your plan covers. That will vary pretty widely. Most ports have places with free WiFi, like a Starbucks or McDonald’s. You could always pop into those places for a drink and use their WiFi as well. I’ve never been to the ports you’re going to so someone else will have to advise what is available for WiFi in those particular locations. 

• Like 1

My plan charges me 5 cents for any texts I receive and 50 cents for anything I send.  Would I be able to text for free with the social wifi plan?  I don't use anything like facebook or any of the other social media platforms.  All I do is text and check email with my phone and if I text alot that could really add up!  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Knighton said:

My plan charges me 5 cents for any texts I receive and 50 cents for anything I send.  Would I be able to text for free with the social wifi plan?  I don't use anything like facebook or any of the other social media platforms.  All I do is text and check email with my phone and if I text alot that could really add up!  Thanks!

The social plan only covers things like Facebook messenger. I have had texts through iMessage go through on the social plan but I think that was luck and definitely not intentional. Texting needs a cell service unless it’s something like iMessage or Facebook messenger. 

On 1/30/2019 at 1:23 PM, PrincessMinion said:

The WiFi will only run the hub app if you don’t pay for a plan. I get the social plan every time we cruise to be able to message my mom through Facebook. She house/pet sits for us as well as taking care of my business so contact with her is important. The social plan works fine for Facebook, Instagram, etc. Just be aware that if you order a plan on the ship that it will be super slow compared to what you get at home. I try to use it early mornings before most get up and are online. 

You will have to contact your phone provider to see what your plan covers. That will vary pretty widely. Most ports have places with free WiFi, like a Starbucks or McDonald’s. You could always pop into those places for a drink and use their WiFi as well. I’ve never been to the ports you’re going to so someone else will have to advise what is available for WiFi in those particular locations. 

PrincessMinion:  Have you been to Belize, Roatan or Grand Cayman?  If so, are there free wifi places at any of these ports?  We're stopping in Cozumel also, but my cell plan includes Mexico.  If there are options at these ports, I see no need for me to purchase a wifi package on board.  Also, I see that you mentioned the hub app is free to use with the wifi on board, is there private messaging in the hub app?  We will be with another couple on board and would like to be able to text.  Thank you.

PrincessMinion:  Have you been to Belize, Roatan or Grand Cayman?  If so, are there free wifi places at any of these ports?  We're stopping in Cozumel also, but my cell plan includes Mexico.  If there are options at these ports, I see no need for me to purchase a wifi package on board.  Also, I see that you mentioned the hub app is free to use with the wifi on board, is there private messaging in the hub app?  We will be with another couple on board and would like to be able to text.  Thank you.

I have not been to those ports. We have only cruised from the west coast so we don’t have to fly. One day tho...

There is a messaging option with the hub app but it costs $5 per person. I’ve never used it since I’m just traveling with my husband and we know where to find each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had good luck with texting (via iMessage) using the social (lowest) WiFi plan onboard. In ports, it will depend on your carrier. With t-mo I get free texting and data almost everywhere without having to activate any kind of international plan. Since I travel internationally a lot for business and pleasure, this was a game changer for me. Tried the hub chat feature one time and it was spotty. I would have to close and reopen the app to check for new messages and sometimes missed time sensitive things (eg, meet me in 5 minutes at x location). Can’t comment on particular WiFi locations in the ports you mentioned. Sorry!