LHR to Greenwich transfers and hotel

• 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Bumping this topic up, hoping for answers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/#guides_posting

Bumping
Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.

Past July we sailed Viking out of Greenwich

flew into Gatwick and took train to Victoria Station.  Had a room for two nights within walking distance of Victoria

Then took a standard London taxi from here to Greenwich (the 'cruise terminal' is the same as the ferry/water taxi landing) ... I don't remeber the exact cost but that says to me it was not outside of reason!

Pics from Cutty to Viking and reverse ....

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

flew into Gatwick and took train to Victoria Station.  Had a room for two nights within walking distance of Victoria

Then took a standard London taxi from here to Greenwich (the 'cruise terminal' is the same as the ferry/water taxi landing) ... I don't remeber the exact cost but that says to me it was not outside of reason!

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Thank you for your input.  We want to stay in Greenwich and prefer to transfer by car.  I don’t want the hassle of dealing with luggage on a train.  We’re not the spring chickens we once were.

Quick basic research reveals:

Greenwich hotels, arranged in order of closeness to Cutty Sark/Greenwich Foot Tunnel (see photos above)/ Discover Greenwich Visitor Centre:

Ibis London Greenwich  (.3 miles; right across the street from the Mitre)

Novotel London Greenwich  (.7 miles)

Travelodge London Greenwich High Road  (.7 miles)

Premier Inn London Greenwich  (.9 miles)

Staycity  (.9 miles)

Alton's Guest House Greenwich  (.9 miles)

Doubletree by Hilton London Greenwich  (1 mile)

I have no personal experience of any of these particular hotels, but I am familiar with the locations & immediate surroundings of the first three.  Personally, I would choose the Ibis just based on its close proximity to the main sights of Greenwich (National Maritime Museum, Cutty Sark, Royal Observatory, etc.)--though do be aware that Ibis hotel rooms are quite compact and facilities are basic.  (We've stayed at several other Ibises in the UK and in Switzerland and found them quite comfortable and perfectly adequate for short stays on a budget.)  The Novotel is part of the same hotel group (Accor Hotels) that owns Ibis; the Novotel brand is somewhat more upscale than the Ibis brand, with larger rooms and (apparently) more amenities.

I have no personal experience of car services from Heathrow (I always take the Tube), but a quick scroll through numerous threads on Cruise Critic and other travel websites reveals that Blackberry Cars and Just Airports are two firms that are frequently mentioned.  

Edited by Post Captain