Any truly exotic and interesting cruise ports in the Caribbean?

librarygal

9 hours ago, librarygal said:

Yes, I had some problems but I like the idea of visiting a different port of call most days instead of sitting at a resort in one place for a week.  Next time I hope to upgrade to Viking or Crystal for a better experience and go to islands that are more interesting and less commercial.

I wish you luck in your search for a cruise line that meets your exacting standards. The fact remains that whether sitting on your ......seat at a resort, or landing in a place for only a few hours, you are unlikely to find what you seek. You need to spend time in any place in order to find the things that make it special. 

"I want to visit the Caribbean islands that have a unique beauty, are green and mountainous with rain forest, have a unique thought-provoking culture"

These islands certainly exist, and some are even visited by the usual cruise lines. But you need to get away from the port and resort areas and take time; something  you don't have on the run of the mill port call.

• Like 1

Several times I spent weeks at a time outside US mainland, once living in a boarding house (Puerto Rico)  once in a seminary dorm (Costa Rica), in a teacher's home (Nicaragua), etc etc. I was less than fluent in their language but soaked in their way of life. Real eye opening experiences. Attended a women's Bible study in a hut with dirt floor and no doors; a goat walked through. Used an outhouse of a Peace Corps couple, or tried to, but freaked out after sitting down, with a tarantula the size of my hand inches from my face. Talked to women whose hands were black with some sort of fungus, from scrubbing clothes all day for a living. Shoe "stores" that only sold used shoes. "Drug stores" that sold  meds by the pill, not box or bottle, because nobody in the village could ever buy a whole box or bottle. Mom who opened a can with a machete, her "can opener." I feel so very, very blessed.  

Suggestion - really talk, listen, to the workers on the cruise ships. Find out their hopes, dreams, ages of their kids and when they will get to see them again. Smile and let them know that meeting them is a privilege.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, fyree39 said:

http://www.petitstvincent.com/

You can't get there by cruise ship, though.  I went there ages ago for a week and it was a week in heaven.

Ages ago, there were plenty of interesting places.  Not so much any more.

Unless you find that McDonald's, with a menu in a foreign language exotic. 😄