Anyone cruised with just a birth certificate

puglady12

Quick question.  Long story but we are going on a cruise in May and hubby is using a birth certificate and driver's license.  I know it is better to have a passport but long story short he can't get one.  We are taking a closed loop cruise from and back to Miami so we don't need a passport. 

From what I understand we need a certified copy of his birth certificate which I believe I can get at town hall if we don't already have one.  But does it need to be notarized also?

I was googling around and I thought I read it is illegal to notarize a certified copy but when I went on the MSC website to do our check in, it mentioned a notarized copy.

So I am hoping someone on here has cruised with a birth certificate and can help me out.  I would die if we got turned away at the dock!!!!

I know I can always call them but hate waiting on hold. 

Thanks!!! :)

I have cruised over 20x (Our last cruise was March 2018 on Seaside) and always used BC and DL.... never a problem ...never a question. I do have my original BC which was provided to me from my parents.... I am in my 60's so this goes back quite awhile. I also (just in case) take our marriage certificate...since my wifes maiden name is on her BC and married name on her DL. Never been asked to show Marriage certificate. 

Edited by lcpagejr

Just now, puglady12 said:

Oh ok that makes me feel better.  Does your birth certificate have a raised seal or stamp on it?  

Just now, puglady12 said:

Oh ok that makes me feel better.  Does your birth certificate have a raised seal or stamp on it?  

It has one of those red seals...but like I said it goes back quite awhile. Its an original. One year we couldn't find my sons so I ordered it online from one of those companies who will do the middle work in getting a BC expedited. It was a certified copy I received back...and it was accepted 

IF I was your Husband, I would be very hesitant to get off the ship at any non US port.  He could have issues getting back into the States if he has any issue while off the ship due to lack of a passport. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

47 minutes ago, puglady12 said:

I don't foresee him having any problems while being off the ship.  So hopefully I don't have to leave him there LOL

You never know, a slip and fall could cause an issue.  Just wanted you to know that there is a risk...

Sounds like you are on the same cruise I have booked for the 27th of April...

Edited by PTC DAWG