SURVEY

Jack E Dawson

I received this e-mail purporting to be Cunard initiated. However, when I began to take the survey the questions seemed very general, mostly regarding lifestyle and nothing regarding Cunard or even cruising specific so I closed without completing. Now I'm regretting even clicking on the survey link. Wondering if anyone else has received this or if this might be typical of a Cunard Survey. 

IMG_3398.thumb.JPG.73ef601f574652979a2aca809078e64d.JPGIMG_3399.thumb.JPG.af95f10ce2ebbef7a34477aa33d691a0.JPG

I thought it interesting that in the last paragraph is says "Cunard has asked GfK .....to conduct this study on OUR behalf." rather than on THEIR behalf.

43 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I received this e-mail purporting to be Cunard initiated. However, when I began to take the survey the questions seemed very general, mostly regarding lifestyle and nothing regarding Cunard or even cruising specific so I closed without completing. Now I'm regretting even clicking on the survey link. Wondering if anyone else has received this or if this might be typical of a Cunard Survey. 

IMG_3398.thumb.JPG.73ef601f574652979a2aca809078e64d.JPGIMG_3399.thumb.JPG.af95f10ce2ebbef7a34477aa33d691a0.JPG

I thought it interesting that in the last paragraph is says "Cunard has asked GfK .....to conduct this study on OUR behalf." rather than on THEIR behalf.

Certainly looks like foreign SPAM to me!

I have this nearly identical email in my archives from February 2016. Old enough that the image at the top no longer exists. I've obscured my own email address and taken the liberty of also obscuring the ID number in the survey link just in case that could somehow be personally identifiable.

I can't recall at this point whether I actually took the survey or what sort of questions were asked if I did take the survey. Therefore, I can't say for certain that this is legitimate, but hopefully this offers some level of assurance. If it's spam, we've both been hit and two years apart.

image.thumb.png.74859552d7740084499385876ae9a72f.png

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent thirty years doing this sort of thing, including a few for GfK, perhaps I can assure you that it is a very straightforward marketing survey which is trying to understand how respondents think about cruising and how this links to their lifestyles.  If you stay with it, you'll eventually get to specific questions about ideas that they are considering.

From Cunard's point of view, an opinion without context is difficult to interpret.  In the surveys that I receive, there are usually questions, for example, about how I feel about formality vs informality - do I like to be called "sir," is dressing up for formal nights bothersome, etc.  But just counting noses doesn't tell them very much.  There may be more people, for example, who prefer informality and not having to dress up on a cruise, but it also may be that the ones who most value formality are the ones who cruise most often, and who have lifestyles that suggest that they can afford to do so.

In the division of labor of market research survey.com, who actually sent you the survey, is a field agency which collects data.  That data is then passed on to GfK, which designed the questionnaire and will analyze the data and report back to Cunard.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

I had a survey around that date as well. It followed the questions of one that I received about 3 years ago which was asking about voyages to Asia and Alaska. Then, about a year later, along come the itineraries for QE to Asia and Alaska.

This latest survey was asking about my thoughts on cruises to Norway. They were 12 or 14 nights in duration and included the North Cape. So, maybe aimed at the 2022 summer market when the new ship comes online. Have to say that the itineraries proposed seemed to me to be far more interested than those currently on offer with Southampton departures.