Group of 8, 1 person with mobility issues - need advice please

VaykayVicky

Hi- 

We will be in Aruba for 1 full day in mid April and we would like to do a full beach day. There will be 8 of us, all adults and 1 15 year old. 2 people are elderly and 1 has limited mobility (he can walk but not for long distances). He will have a wheelchair that he can take off of the ship to get to excursion or taxi meeting place but obviously can't take it on the beach. I'm wondering what is better to do: either get a day pass to a resort that is somewhat accessible or head directly to a beach that rents chairs and umbrellas? Are there any excursions that could take us all and ensure that they will be comfortable and shaded? I'd welcome any recommendations for both beaches and day resorts! TIA.

I don't know of any tours that are handicapped accessible, but there might be some. You would probably be better to get a day pass at Riu or Barcelo. You might be able to find a taxi that is a van, that could put the wheelchair in the back. Taxis can only carry 5 passengers,  by law.

1 hour ago, Hatteras51 said:

I don't know of any tours that are handicapped accessible, but there might be some. You would probably be better to get a day pass at Riu or Barcelo. You might be able to find a taxi that is a van, that could put the wheelchair in the back. Taxis can only carry 5 passengers,  by law.

thank you for the info!

I don't know where you're from, or how much sun you're used to....but Aruba's sun is intense and fierce.  An entire day, even under an umbrella, will result in a GREAT deal of sun exposure.  A couple of hours will fill the bill......honestly.  I'm a sun-worshiper, (and my dermatologist always scolds me), and 2 hours was MORE than enough.  You are not too far from the equator in Aruba.  Be forewarned.

12 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I don't know where you're from, or how much sun you're used to....but Aruba's sun is intense and fierce.  An entire day, even under an umbrella, will result in a GREAT deal of sun exposure.  A couple of hours will fill the bill......honestly.  I'm a sun-worshiper, (and my dermatologist always scolds me), and 2 hours was MORE than enough.  You are not too far from the equator in Aruba.  Be forewarned.

I've seen you post this many times. Since you are a frequent poster, you probably know that we spend several weeks in Aruba every year.  I am very fair skinned, and burn easily, but honestly,  if I put sunscreen on every few hours, and spend most of the time under an umbrella or palapa, I never have a problem.  We are often on the beach from sunrise to sunset.  People just need to use common sense, use sunscreen and stay in the shade, and they should be fine for the day. Everyone that I know stays out all day.