International SIM for UK and Europe vs International roaming

Alaskanb

I have an unlocked Doro flip phone and hope to be able to use it with an international SIM when we visit various European ports and the UK this Fall. I just need it for vocal calls and maybe text messaging.

We are meeting my brother in Rome, he lives in the UK so has a UK phone number. We need to be able to communicate while we travel both in the UK and Rome.

We also will be carrying iPhones that we use on the Consumer Cellular network and a Kindle Fire 9. 

The more I read about it all the more confused I become! 

I would like to know about experiences you have had and recommendations for a SIM. 

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I  got  a  WORLD TRAVEL SIM   for our upcoming trip

it gives you a UK number & a USA  number  to use

https://www.worldtravelsim.com/products.asp?cat=106

Maybe your provider has roaming  but our service does not have that so  going to try the SIM route

That looks like just what I need. Have you seen any reviews on it? Thanks. 

You may want to check with CC about international rates - for 2017 I purchased an international SIM, and put it into my CC issue Android phone without incident [put the CC SIM back in on arrival back in New York]

I think CC's current terms include international service - but it a pay by the minute option, this allows you to use the same phone number, but it may be more expensive than a dedicated 'pre pay' SIM.

CC's international roaming page is at https://www.consumercellular.com/Help/international-rates/rates

I think this fall I will just enable roaming - we only made one call with the pre-pay SIM last time [and that was mostly to test the SIM activation]

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

That looks like just what I need. Have you seen any reviews on it? Thanks. 

I saw some reviews  they all seemed  good

will report back in April 

We just wanted it for talk & text  to contact a couple of tour guides  if needed

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

I have an unlocked Doro flip phone and hope to be able to use it with an international SIM when we visit various European ports and the UK this Fall. I just need it for vocal calls and maybe text messaging.

We are meeting my brother in Rome, he lives in the UK so has a UK phone number. We need to be able to communicate while we travel both in the UK and Rome.

I would suggest this as an option: Ask your brother to get you a UK pre-pay SIM that has good UK voice call and text rates. On the basis of current legislation, if you use it to contact your brother when you are in Rome it will cost you the same as if you use it in the UK. My phone company (O2) is currently offering 3p per minute outgoing voice, 2p per outgoing text. (Incoming calls and incoming texts are free.) The same rates apply to calling any other number in the country you're in, eg tour guides. I suspect that for what you're looking for, it will be difficult to beat these rates using any other option.

The only caveat is this. That legislation is mandated by the EU. Depending on what happens with Brexit over the next few weeks, it is possible that the legislation will be repealed, so that UK phone companies will no longer be required to offer these rates. If that requirement is lifted, it will be a matter of commercial policy as to whether the existing arrangements will be continued by the phone companies.

However, as your cruise is not until later in the year, you have time to sit and wait to see what happens before deciding whether this is a viable option, or indeed whether whatever replacement (if different) is still cheap enough to be viable.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I would suggest this as an option: Ask your brother to get you a UK pre-pay SIM that has good UK voice call and text rates. On the basis of current legislation, if you use it to contact your brother when you are in Rome it will cost you the same as if you use it in the UK. My phone company (O2) is currently offering 3p per minute outgoing voice, 2p per outgoing text. (Incoming calls and incoming texts are free.) The same rates apply to calling any other number in the country you're in, eg tour guides. I suspect that for what you're looking for, it will be difficult to beat these rates using any other option.

The only caveat is this. That legislation is mandated by the EU. Depending on what happens with Brexit over the next few weeks, it is possible that the legislation will be repealed, so that UK phone companies will no longer be required to offer these rates. If that requirement is lifted, it will be a matter of commercial policy as to whether the existing arrangements will be continued by the phone companies.

However, as your cruise is not until later in the year, you have time to sit and wait to see what happens before deciding whether this is a viable option, or indeed whether whatever replacement (if different) is still cheap enough to be viable.

I saw that in my research but as you say who knows what will happen with Brexit. Whatever I get must have free incoming calls and texts --some SIMs do not have that. Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

I saw that in my research but as you say who knows what will happen with Brexit. Whatever I get must have free incoming calls and texts --some SIMs do not have that. Thanks. 

I think the one I posted  above is free incoming  but you pay  for outgoing text/calls

But you have a UK number  so that should work with your brother

i have only tested ours  with a local call in Canada but it worked ok

• Like 1