Newby Who to use for booking - Yikes

Kleeeee

Newby - back again. I've picked the ship, cabin type and the date, but now I'm baffled as to who to use to book. Directly with HAL or one of the agents or costco that offer extra perks. I've seen that some lines will let you book directly with them then switch to an agent later. Can I do this with HAL? Sorry to be a pest, but want to get this done. TIA for any additional advice that you can offer. 

I think I found my answer in other forum posts - yeah.

Edited by Kleeeee
I found an answer

I would suggest that you initially book with a PCC (personal cruise consultant) at HAL.  My reason is that they can see cabins that are available that do not necessarily appear on the website or are not readily available to a TA.  For example, I am doing a 1 week cruise that is also part of a 14 day cruise.  They block certain cabins for 7 day and others for 14.  The cabin I wanted was part of the 14 day block.  She was able to get it approved to give me the cabin I wanted.  I would suggest you look at the deckplan for the ship and try to figure out where you want to be...mid ship, aft or maybe it doesn't matter.  Once you get everything settled and booked with the PCC you can call around and see what other companies are offering you.  Just know that once you transfer to a travel agent the people at HAL will no longer speak with you and will refer you back to your travel agent.  Hope this helps you in making your decision.

Helen

We always book with TA.  Usually inside the final payment window.  We are not loyal to any one cruiseline.

Apart from the additional OBC that we get from out TA I can think of three separate occasions out of 20 plus bookings where we were thankful that we were dealing with a TA.  Not certain if, other than OBC, that it makes a difference if you only cruise on one cruise line and tend to book in advance of the final payment window.

Once, when we were about to book and pay the non refundable fare our TA suggested that we wait for two more days to book.  We did, and saved $175 each by following her advice.  Another time, while booking a Med cruise out TA highlighted another offer on a different, equally good ship that we were not aware of. Same itinerary, cabin,etc.  That resulted in a $250 pp saving.   Finally, we were about to book a cruise several years ago but our TA relayed feedback from a few previous customers on that ship. We switched ships and then read the reviews of our original pick.  They were not good. Her advice and recommendation was solid.

I doubt whether any cruise line employed booking clerk would have given us this advice/direction.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Count me as another vote for using a good TA!

Once when traveling to Barcelona our flight was canceled due to a weather issue.  As soon as we found out (at the boarding gate very last minute), we contacted our TA.  She had us rebooked within 5 minutes and we ran to another gate and arrived only 3 hrs. later than planned. Those who were tied up on the phone with the airlines spent the night in the airport and arrived late for the cruise, only catching up on the 2nd day! 

We did not even book air through her. We do usually book directly with the cruise lines then have it transferred to her.

Good luck and happy cruising.

We've always looked at using TA's as "having someone on our side" in the event of problems, and as someone to help with details outside of HAL's purview such as land or air travel before and after cruises. A couple of times we have had to make changes, and all it took is one short phone call and waiting for a return call. Getting benefits that HAL won't offer are just the cake icing for us.

Edited by catl331