What kind of jacket is issued for Alaska cruises?

SLSD

We will be on the Kobe-Vancouver itinerary in May/June 2019.  Our travel agent has pointed out to us that a jacket will be issued to us.  We've told her our sizes and know that we can make an exchange onboard if the fit is not right.  My question is this:  What kind of jacket are we going to be given?  Is it waterproof (or water repellant), a windbreaker, or warm?  Any description will be helpful.  I recognize that we may not be given the SAME jacket you were given.  I am just trying to get an idea of what it will be--and how useful or not it will be.  

I was not aware that Seabourn gave jackets for an Alaskan cruise and kind of surprised at that.   During the summer, when I assume you will be going to Alaska, it just doesn't get that cold....

We received very attractive SB water-resistant jackets on our Alaska voyage in August 2017. They had hoods and insulation and were  well suited to the normal Alaskan summer climate. We found that we were very comfortable in chilly and rainy weather wearing these jackets with a just a light long-sleeve base layer beneath. 

Taking a windbreaker would be useful, since there were days on our Alaska cruise when it was too warm  to wear the insulated SB jackets. 

Hope this helps. 

alidor, Evidently jackets are being issued for early June in Alaska.

And thank you DC Traveler244.  I was hoping the jackets had some water resistance.  I am taking various layers including a windbreaker, a quilted vest I always take on cruises, and another light packable jacket.  

I am also taking gloves and a knit cap in case I need those.  Any other suggestions for clothing for this itinerary are 

welcome.  

Edited by SLSD

We received a very nice lined, water repellent jacket on our cruise in August/Sept 2017.  (I think we were on the same cruise as DC traveler).  It's similar to the Antarctic jacket but according to those on board, 'not as nice,' which I would guess means not as heavy duty, because it is a nice jacket.  I had thought the jacket was just going to be a shell and took warm layers for under it which I didn't need and not enough light layers for under it which would have been better. On several excursions, on water especially, it was needed as it was cold and/or rainy.  I've worn the jacket quite a bit since as it is a good weight for the chilly/rainy/windy winter in this area.  

Here are some pictures of the jacket we received for Alaska in 2018. It was especially nice for the zodiac excursions. Additional layers the I found helpful were base-layer items I bought from backcountry.com which were warm but light. I found a base layer topped with a shirt or light sweater was perfect. Then added either a fleece jacket or the Seabourn jacket depending on precip. And if you plan to do any of the kayak or zodiac excursions, water-proof pants are recommended. IMG_3320.thumb.jpg.b3c2753396b83c9ea20afc534e7d8dc2.jpgXUPJ0185.thumb.jpg.6231cc14c7ff890dd1caeb3f20fa1a4f.jpgIMG_2248.thumb.jpg.58dd00de371475023cf352727c1bdfec.jpg

There *is* a chance to swap jackets if you order the wrong size ahead of time! Though I found the size guides online pretty good (as the jackets are unisex, they had guidelines about "your normal size" but also actual measurements!) Anyway, they'll make an announcement, ours was maybe day 2 and in the theater I think.

Alaska was really warm during our trip (Sept 2018) so I rarely wore the Seabourn jacket - wore it on a zodiac tour and a couple times when we were wildlife looking up on deck and it was pretty windy. Otherwise, I had a zip up fleece and a knee length raincoat and chose whichever option I needed. (they could be worn together too)

Just asked husband and he is VERY particular about waterproof - he says the jacket is waterproof and windproof. He wears his quite a bit now when he's working outdoors.. But I don't think it's a breathable waterproof fabric (like goretex). I could be wrong - there aren't many details.

For another/personal raincoat - what sort of style are you interested in? My first Alaska cruise (2007) I got a goretex jacket from LLBean and I still wear it). This time, I wanted something a little less sporty so I got a knee length (on me, at least, I'm short 😉 trench style with zip-off hood from Eddie Bauer. I got the non-insulated version as I prefer flexibility for Alaska - would just layer underneath as needed.

This is the current LLBean jacket closest to what I have.

This is the Eddie Bauer I have - Girl on the Go trench. This is the "plain" version but it also comes insulated.

Thank you so much Hoyaheel for all of this information.  My husband is happy.  

Currently, I have a Patagonia gortex rain jacket.  It works very well for me at our farm, but I cannot layer anything under it.  I will look at the Eddie Bauer.  

Edited by SLSD

I'm busty & a lot of sports brands (Patagonia, North Face etc) don't fit me well. I like that Eddie Bauer has more space there 😉 My sleeves are too long, but that's ok....No buttons or elastic so I just do one roll and they're fine.

We did the trip in July 2017.

Be warned. The weather at that time of year can be grim. We had sunshine most days but the cruises before and afterwards were both dominated by clag and drizzle.

The jacket you get given by Seabourn is perfectly adequate. For the experts challenging whether it is as good as a top line product that you'd buy in an upmarked retailer they are going to know it isn't.

Some passengers seemed so excited with their freebie that they wore it for breakfast and lunch in the salon - and read their books wearing them in the lounge. So it can't be too well insulated.

We took an assortment of sweaters but, as I said above, most of the time the Seabourn jacket was hanging in our suite.

They have quite large Seabourn insignia. We are not insignial folk. We left one jacket on the boat and brought the other back for our housekeeper. I have not see her wear it much....

Having said all that it is a nice Seabourn touch to supply one. I really would not have wanted to have to buy something for a holiday in Alaska that I'll never repeat.

Tony

London UK. Blessed with sunshine for the last few days.

Tony, I'm not an insignia person either and doubt I'll be wearing it to lunch on the ship!  But, if it saves me packing something that would serve the same purpose, it will be helpful.  I recognize that the weather could be iffy.  

7 hours ago, T&C Fulham said:

Some passengers seemed so excited with their freebie that they wore it for breakfast and lunch in the salon - and read their books wearing them in the lounge. So it can't be too well insulated.

Or they could just be cold. For some people, 60 means they need a parka. For others, 40 means shorts. If the coat made them comfortable..... 

T&C Fulham, I read my husband your comments about the jacket--and he said, good naturally, "what a snob".  He was laughing.  I get your comments and they amused us.  I can see still wearing the jacket if we have just returned from an excursion and not returned to our room---or we've been out on the deck wearing it before lunch.  And, we are from Dallas which has very warm weather, so we MIGHT be wearing it at 58 degrees or so.  

We are sort of expecting grim weather and figure that is why the fares for this itinerary seem so reasonable.  

I am going to be bringing layers of different sorts and hope that I have what I need.  

Edited by SLSD

On 2/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, SLSD said:

We will be on the Kobe-Vancouver itinerary in May/June 2019.  Our travel agent has pointed out to us that a jacket will be issued to us.  

It would be very nice and generous of Seabourn to provide the free jacket for this particular voyage, but I highly doubt it. The free jackets are provided for the regular Alaska & Antarctica venture voyages that are priced accordingly.  The Kobe-Vancouver voyage is essentially a well-priced re-positioning cruise that ends in early June and isn't a full-fledged Alaska venture cruise.  Unless you are tacking on another Alaska voyage after that one, I would recommend that you double check directly with Seabourn regarding the jacket.  (I would be delighted to be proven wrong, as I'll be on that voyage and wouldn't mind collecting another one of these excellent jackets.)😉